Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 AM

17 posts, read 99,010 times

Advertisements

I am landlord, tenant moving out today, what should I pay attention during walk through with him tonight?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Walking through a place rarely reveals real damage or dirt and I would not do it with a tenant looking over my shoulder. I wait until a tenant has left and then examine the place thoroughly. Then I mail the refund out to tenant's forwarding address within the time period allowed by law.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 99,010 times
Thanks for your input, I will do that one more time for sure. so no comments during the walk through, right?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybear View Post
Thanks for your input, I will do that one more time for sure. so no comments during the walk through, right?

Not sure what you mean.

However, you can charge for any damage you find beyond wear and tear and that includes any unauthorized changes made by the tenant to the unit.

I should also amend my previous comment to add that there are some states that do give the tenant a right to be present on a walk through if they wish. Check your state codes.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Even in a state where a walk-through with the exiting tenant isn't required there's absolutely nothing to be lost by agreeing with a tenant's request for it. If you see something very obvious which needs to be fixed such as a dirty appliance, dirty floors or similarly obvious things which have been overlooked by the tenant then you point them out so that they have a chance to remedy the problems before they leave.

The whole reason for there being a time frame for return of security deposits is that, once the tenant has moved out, itemized deductions can be made for legitimate damages not necessarily seen on a walk-through. Savvy tenants and savvy landlords take detailed pre move-in dated photographs for their own protection.

Of course you can comment during a walk-through. As a tenant I'd have a bit of a problem with a LL who walked through stony-faced, failed to point out an area I might have missed and then made a deduction of that from my security deposit when the whole purpose of a walk-through is to point out anything obvious which I can fix.

A walk-through isn't finally legally binding. It's more akin to a mediation!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
^^^ This and it's just a good practice to do as a landlord/tenant.

What concerns me is this....this guy is moving out today and you have someone else moving in tomorrow...do you have enough time to make sure that unit is clean and all repairs (if needed) are done within that short window of time??

Old 12-13-2013, 11:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
I always have a downtime for my units. I don't rush to "just get someone in there " and it gives me time to fix anything that needs fixing painting cleaning that is not the tenants fault

Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM

218 posts, read 775,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I should also amend my previous comment to add that there are some states that do give the tenant a right to be present on a walk through if they wish. Check your state codes.
Yes, Hollytree is correct - there are some states that give the tenant that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybear View Post
And, NO - no comments. It will be a losing battle. Walk through with them, then again once you are alone - so that you can assess damage (hopefully none).

ADDED - See below - ignore this and listen to STT Resident.

Last edited by toopie28; 12-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 AM

218 posts, read 775,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Even in a state where a walk-through with the exiting tenant isn't required there's absolutely nothing to be lost by agreeing with a tenant's request for it. If you see something very obvious which needs to be fixed such as a dirty appliance, dirty floors or similarly obvious things which have been overlooked by the tenant then you point them out so that they have a chance to remedy the problems before they leave.

The whole reason for there being a time frame for return of security deposits is that, once the tenant has moved out, itemized deductions can be made for legitimate damages not necessarily seen on a walk-through. Savvy tenants and savvy landlords take detailed pre move-in dated photographs for their own protection.

Of course you can comment during a walk-through. As a tenant I'd have a bit of a problem with a LL who walked through stony-faced, failed to point out an area I might have missed and then made a deduction of that from my security deposit when the whole purpose of a walk-through is to point out anything obvious which I can fix.

A walk-through isn't finally legally binding. It's more akin to a mediation!

Now, see - that backfired on me. When I walked through with my last tenant - I asked several questions and pointed out several major things - like deeply scratched floors. It's amazing how 2 people can look at the same thing and have different opinions on them.

They painted my fireplace mantle - it was beautiful wood - they painted white and insisted I said they could do it. Refused to recognize that the floor was scratched beyond wear and tear. And did not smell that RANCID smell that was all over the house (ended up having to change the carpet throughout the whole house to get it out. apparently they let their dog do whatever he wanted...)

With that being said - STT Resident is way more experienced than me - so listen to them.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
^^^ This and it's just a good practice to do as a landlord/tenant.

What concerns me is this....this guy is moving out today and you have someone else moving in tomorrow...do you have enough time to make sure that unit is clean and all repairs (if needed) are done within that short window of time??
'
OP is, as I recall, a novice landlord. Coming to this forum is all part of the learning process and hopefully from which lessons will be learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting