Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM

159 posts, read 339,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Two months is really nothing when you're seeking employment out of state. Companies seem to take much longer to hire anyone these days. You don't even have any interviews lined up. That could be a couple of weeks. Add two-three weeks for interviewing as most places do multiple part interviews now. I'd sign on for two more months. Chances are you will still be there or just a few weeks away from starting a new job. It will likely cost you as much, if not more, to move some place short term and then move again. Short term rentals usually have a premium price.
Agreed. I'm not close to having an offer in-hand, and with how the market is now, it seems even the offer can take a couple of weeks alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
The next question is going to be what to do when the 2 months are up if you still don't have an offer.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
My landlord and I are in talks to extend my current lease. I am looking to relocate out of state in early 2014, but I am looking for jobs with no offers in-hand yet.

The LL offered to extend my current lease, rather than terminating too soon or renewing a full year that I can't commit to. I would have to confirm within the next day if I want to extend or terminate

My question is, is it a good idea to extend for a timeframe, even if it's short? I would end up paying a penalty if I got an offer out of state before my lease is up. I would not want to turn down an offer due to a lease. Also, I won't be able to sublease legally.

Should I just terminate and find a short-term housing situation while I look for out-of-state jobs? I like the stability of not having to find new housing, but at the same time, I may lose a large chunk of my deposit if I agree to an extension and need to relocate right away
Move yourself into a nice Motel.

Most are satisfactory, and the rent is alright.
Some WILL accept monthly rents. You have to look around, but they are around.

And if possible, move to DALLAS. It is on the up and coming. You'll like it here.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Two months is really nothing when you're seeking employment out of state. Companies seem to take much longer to hire anyone these days. You don't even have any interviews lined up. That could be a couple of weeks. Add two-three weeks for interviewing as most places do multiple part interviews now. I'd sign on for two more months. Chances are you will still be there or just a few weeks away from starting a new job. It will likely cost you as much, if not more, to move some place short term and then move again. Short term rentals usually have a premium price.
^^^ All this, PLUS when you do get a job, an employer should not expect an out of state new employee to be ready to show up for work the next day. There's that pesky little thing like finding a new place to live and the actual move itself. You could fairly tack on another couple weeks there.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I agree with your two month decision, but a gentle word of warning. Don't make your lease your potential new employer's problem. If I had two identical candidates, one local, one out of state, I would be going with the one with the least amount of baggage - the local candidate. When interviewing, you need to keep this in mind and keep it your problem. Of course, there's no sure way to know if you are identical to your competition, so be the best you can be, without arrogance. Assuming an employer is going to wait for your schedule is arrogant in today's employment market. (You can always preface answers with "it's more convenient for me to start on x date, but if it's critical, I can be there on y date." Flexibility is important).

Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 AM

159 posts, read 339,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I agree with your two month decision, but a gentle word of warning. Don't make your lease your potential new employer's problem. If I had two identical candidates, one local, one out of state, I would be going with the one with the least amount of baggage - the local candidate. When interviewing, you need to keep this in mind and keep it your problem. Of course, there's no sure way to know if you are identical to your competition, so be the best you can be, without arrogance. Assuming an employer is going to wait for your schedule is arrogant in today's employment market. (You can always preface answers with "it's more convenient for me to start on x date, but if it's critical, I can be there on y date." Flexibility is important).
Agreed. I've already expressed to one recruiter that I am a renter, not a home-owner. She was probing into how flexible I am to move when I get the offer. I didn't mention anything about my lease. I've included in my cover letters a statement about how I plan to relocate to the area early next year in hopes that it would ease concerns about me being out of state.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Take the 2 months. If you are just talking to recruiters, 2 months would be pretty quick before day 1 at a new place in a new city, especially around the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting