Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 99,141 times

Advertisements

Tenant just moved in for a week, they enjoy the house but they reported a couple issues over the past weekend.

1. The water and ice maker do not work in the refrigerator. We turned the water on behind the refrigerator and it leaks underneath all over the floor. My husband went to check it turns out the water tube is broken, the cost of the appliance repair is about $200+. The refrigerator is 11-year-old, I heard the average life time of refrigerator is about 13 years, should we spend $1000+ buying a new one instead?

2. The faucet handle in the kitchen is loose and cannot be tightened.
The screw is worn so it seems we can only replace the entire piece, the part costs <$100. As a landlord, I want to be sure we should cover this expense and the labor, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
1) I think that is a decision you will have to make yourself. You have to decide what you think the odds are that the fridge will last if you fix it. If you plan to sell the property in the next couple years, maybe just fix it and hope it lasts until you sell. If you plan to keep it a long time, maybe just replace it. Just depends on if you think it still has a lot of years left on it, and how long you plan to own the place.

2) Yes, you are responsible for fixing a broken faucet as a landlord at your expense.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybear View Post
1. The water and ice maker ...leaks underneath all over the floor.
The refrigerator is 11-year-old and working fine
the cost of the (100% deductible) appliance repair is about $200+.

2. The faucet handle in the kitchen is loose and cannot be tightened.
I want to be sure we should cover this expense and the labor, correct?
Yes. Both repairs are on you.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Who puts a $1000+ fridge in a rental?

Go on craigslist, or your local scratch-n-dent store. Try a Sears Outlet or something like that.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Yeah, a contractor grade refrigerator is what you want.

Unless the unit is a high end one, the tenants will expect high end appliances in that case.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Fridges the owner put into the apts I managed cost him only around $500. Unless your contract specifically says you are providing a $1,000 fridge, just get a new cheaper one. Then it should be covered under warranty.

If it's some fancy, expensive stainless steel one that you use to get higher rents, (as in, kitchen has all stainless steel appliances, etc.), then I'd go the repair route.

And, yes, the sink is your responsibility.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Fridges the owner put into the apts I managed cost him only around $500. Unless your contract specifically says you are providing a $1,000 fridge, just get a new cheaper one. Then it should be covered under warranty.

If it's some fancy, expensive stainless steel one that you use to get higher rents, (as in, kitchen has all stainless steel appliances, etc.), then I'd go the repair route.

And, yes, the sink is your responsibility.
I agree and would add that it's of little savings to try and fix an 11 year old 'fridge particularly in a rental unit.

I don't know what the market is like where you live but, if you're in an area with high appliance turnovers (people remodeling and getting rid of perfectly good stuff at rock bottom prices because the color doesn't match - check craigslist) or where appliance stores sell off floor models at way below retail value, you can replace the 'fridge for way less than $1K.

But, yes, if a working refrigerator is included in your lease agreement then it most certainly is your responsibility to maintain and fix it unless your lease specifies to the contrary. The sink faucet is a no-brainer and absolutely your expense - and not expensive either.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The ice maker water tube is broken inside the refrigerator? It's not the line to the fridge?

If the fridge is still working, I'd turn the water off and tell the tenant that they don't get an ice maker with their rental.

That would be unless it is a high end rental or the tenant specifically rented that unit because there is an ice maker (which is highly unlikely).

If you are going to be a landlord, ice makers are a no-no, That's something that breaks easily, causes service calls for no other reason than the tenant isn't using it correctly, and is costly to repair. Only buy fridges without ice makers.

Since you would replace th fridge with a fridge that doesn't have an ice maker, then just turn the water off and the tenant already has a fridge without an ice maker. Take the broken ice maker out to increase the room available in the freezer.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Any fridge over 5 years old will be considered how much a repair will be. The average life expectancy can be different depending on the model/ brand.

I would not spend a dime on a 11 yr old fridge and will replace it ASAP.

You have to replace it with a similar model...if it has 2 doors you can't put a 1 door fridge in the rental, that is not exceptable... You can however decide on the color.

It is the LL expense as is the faucet.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You have to replace it with a similar model...if it has 2 doors you can't put a 1 door fridge in the rental, that is not exceptable... You can however decide on the color.
I disagree. Unless the lease agreement specifically notes that a 2-door refrigerator is part of the rental, the LL can replace it with single door. And I've never seen a lease agreement which is specific about the appliance color ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting