Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM

799 posts, read 1,546,976 times

Advertisements

The LL wants you OUT. Like YESTERDAY.

In your original post you mentioned "high pride of ownership." Take a deep breath and repeat after me "I do not own this place. I do not own this place."

Because you don't. No matter how much you love it, you don't own it. Its time to find somewhere new.

I have been a LL and a tenant. A big mistake I made as a renter was falling in love with a property I didn't own. It only caused heartbreak when my LL started acting shady. Renting is so much easier, can be cheaper, and certainly more portable than owning. But no matter how much the place is wonderful YOU. DON'T. OWN. IT. And the LL does. And sounds like he can't wait for you to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,521,517 times
Renting has many advantages, to be sure, but a big disadvantage is exactly as you have outlined - you're at the mercy of your landlord as to what your monthly payment will be each year.

Honestly, while I would be annoyed at the increase in rent purely from a budgeting perspective, it doesn't sound unreasonable. It sounds like it was priced too low when you moved in, perhaps because that's what the market would support at the time, and now the LL is fixing that discrepancy...and it does seem that the market would support it now.

I understand that you think you're the best tenants a LL could want, and maybe that's true, maybe not. But please understand that for every deadbeat horror tenant, there are plenty of responsible tenants with good jobs and common sense...exactly like you. In the four years you've lived there, the property taxes could've increased, the HOA fees could've increased, homeowner's insurance, etc. All of that, coupled with the fact that it was low-priced to begin with, could explain the rent hikes now.

Or, as others have said, the LL just wants you out. This situation is at the cusp of turning ugly...and if it does, the one who will have the repercussions will not be the LL, it'll be you. Sign the lease and pay the new price, or prepare to be out at the end of January. Those are your only two options. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting