Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM

193 posts, read 354,511 times

Advertisements

I have now been in my new senior apartment for three months.

I have been quite pleased overall, with the positives outweighing the negatives.

However, I would like to ask a favor of one of the residents that parks behind me, who I have not yet met.

There is a line of resident cars parked behind and perpendicular to me against a curb.

Whereas all of the other cars in this row are parked within a foot of the curb, the car directly behind me parks about two and half to three feet away from the curb. I therefore have about a foot and a half less back up space, and my truck is quite long.
With less room, I need to be extra careful when it is dark to avoid hitting this car.

On average, the car is about a half a foot outside of its allotted space. It is also the only car facing North when parked. if for some reason this person needs more space to exit their car, they can merely face south like everyone else.

I would like to make a friendly request to this person to park closer to the curb, but I wanted to get opinions on which mode of contact is preferable. Should I

A. leave a note on her car
B. leave a note on her door
C. knock on her door, introduce myself, and make my request in person,
D ask the apartment manager to make the request, o
E. none of the above, just let it go and be careful

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Door "C".

Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
I choose door number E. It doesn't sound like he/she's totally out of bounds with his/her parking, so it may sound petty to him/her. I'm just afraid, since this person is obviously a tad rude for parking the way they do, that they won't receive you well. Then they may be mean and park even closer to you. I'm just thinking it could get worse, and it is acceptable as is - though inconvenient. One of those choose your battle kinds of things.

I can't tell you how many keyed cars my tenants got in the parking lot I managed. It was a poorly designed parking lot with tiny, narrow spaces, and tenants would sometimes park in a way that took up 2 spaces, or blocked others in, etc. Good luck catching someone keying your car.

I wish I had more faith in your neighbor being reasonable. The thing is, it's a gamble if you knock on that door, that things could get worse instead of better.

I'm so glad you like your new place otherwise. Yay!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 PM

6,771 posts, read 11,402,042 times
Is there any way to be assigned to a different parking spot? Are there any spots where there isn't the perpendicular spots behind them? You could ask for one of them, put it on yourself - "my truck is long, I'm worried I'm going to back into one of those cars behind me" something like that.

Even if every spot is currently assigned, see if when someone moves out, if you could have their spot, and let new tenant have your current one.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,867,711 times
Is it really that hard to talk to your neighbor about this?? They wont' be offended or angry, you're looking out for their car. Just nicely point out your spot and their spot and tell them you're concerned you might hit their car when backing out.

I notice a lot of seniors can't park worth a damn...either they don't go far enough into the spot, or they are on the line or over the line or are down right crooked in the spot and then get pissy when someone parks next to them and dings their car.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 PM

193 posts, read 354,511 times
I would tend to agree with Kim in theory.

The residents I have met all seem quite nice, and the average ages seem to be between 65-70.

This makes me wonder whether this person is capable of parking closer to the curb without undergoing great effort. It is odd that the natural direction to face is South since the only entrance heads South, yet only he/she parks facing North.

I like the suggestion of trading spaces with someone else. The person next to me has a small compact and could back up in my space with no problem.

About two weeks ago, however, they just painted our numbers in our spots, but I imagine it could be done unofficially.

I will give this some thought.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
D. Talk to the apartment manager about the problem and ask them to talk to the tenant. There is no reason for you to get personally involved with someone who may not take kindly to your suggestions. Let the manager do their job and take up this issue with the problem tenant.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
D. Talk to the apartment manager about the problem and ask them to talk to the tenant. There is no reason for you to get personally involved with someone who may not take kindly to your suggestions. Let the manager do their job and take up this issue with the problem tenant.
What "problem tenant"? The tenant is parked a mere six inches over the line and it's a very small issue which doesn't merit management intervention and can so easily be handled with a friendly approach to the vehicle's owner. The OP is new to this senior complex, has so far found the other occupants very pleasant - and this would be a nice opportunity to get to know someone who's been there a while.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,930,833 times
It could be they have a vision issue and cant see where they are at when they park so they arent all the way up into their slot .. Its possible .. I stopped driving about 5 yrs ago when my eyes got so bad I was scared ! LOL not many folks will just quit driving tho so they keep on untill they cause some real grief .. I would try and see who owns the car in that spot and see who drives it and how they park that might give you some ideas on how to approach this in a calm laid back manner .. If they are just being jerks over the parking I think a nice bump or bang on their car is inorder ..

Old 12-27-2013, 05:29 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
If they are just being jerks over the parking I think a nice bump or bang on their car is inorder ..
And the keying begins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting