Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Generally speaking the third category is someone like the OP who has essentially been at least temporarily forced into the landlord role and obviously needs help. PMCs are no more "hit or miss" than any other business with whom one enters into a contract and the same due diligence is required to choose one as with any other contractor. The PMCs who I know are perfectly capable of handling evictions and have competent real estate attorneys on hand. Maybe it's different in your area - my experience is limited to the USVI and to the state of Connecticut.

One of the reasons many landlord hire PMCs is so they don't get emotionally involved with the tenants and don't have to deal 'hands on' with tenants.

We use one with our vacation rentals....they save us time, money and headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Anyway, I think you are plenty capable of continuing on, and would encourage you not to buy into the "you obviously don't know what you're doing, so you should give up" line of posts.
Note what the poster said in the first post and before any responses or advice were offered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB8301 View Post
And yes, we will never do this again without hiring a property management company to handle everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
PMCs, as a matter of law, lack standing to bring eviction suits as they are not the owner of the property. Some jurisdictions allow them limited involvement. For instance, in the state of Florida, a property manager may only file for uncontested evictions on the grounds of unpaid rent. Any PMC filing an eviction for a contested action not only lacks standing but is guilty of unlicensed practice of law.
My humble apologies for having been imprecise and worded my response incorrectly. As I said, the PMCs with whom I'm familiar have real estate attorneys to consult with and of course would do nothing either outside their realm of expertise or their domain.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
If you give them more time they will just ask for more when the time comes. You said you made mistakes and will not do them again but you continue to make new ones. So 3 months from now you can add not evicting them to that your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting