Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM

68 posts, read 172,028 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of people coming to look at my house on Sunday. This is the first time we are renting out our home. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, how do I do a background check? Do you suggest a specific website/company? Do I charge them (I would think so right??) and how much will it cost me to do a background check? I have to have them sign something allowing the check right? What should I look for that might help weed out a possible bad renters?
thanks everyone. I am feeling overwhelmed but am so happy I can come on here and ask questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
You can google search 'tenant screening' and come up with many options such as this one.

Most LLs do it themselves by ordering a credit report from one of the three majors, and asking for the names and phone numbers of past landlords, and calling those up and asking them if there were any issues with those tenants. These same orgs can do a criminal background check, if you wish. It is generally an additional fee, and you will have the option of either a local or a nationwide search. Obv the local search will only turn up results in the local municipality or county.

Note that you need written permission from the applicant in order to obtain their credit report. For this reason, some LLs request that applicants bring their own copy of their credit report (dated recently). Of course, there's always the possibility that someone will fake their report. But it avoids the problem of having to get permission and paying for the service.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Did you nix the idea of using a property manager? Just my opinion but since you're moving out of state and haven't done this sort of thing before, you really should seriously think about letting someone with know-how take care of your house. I know you said you have family nearby who can oversee but if they've no experience either they're not going to be of much help to you if things do go wrong. Just reading through this forum should show you that you really need to know the renting business to save yourself from potential major problems. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygracy View Post
I have a bunch of people coming to look at my house on Sunday. This is the first time we are renting out our home. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, how do I do a background check? Do you suggest a specific website/company? Do I charge them (I would think so right??) and how much will it cost me to do a background check? I have to have them sign something allowing the check right? What should I look for that might help weed out a possible bad renters?
thanks everyone. I am feeling overwhelmed but am so happy I can come on here and ask questions!
The wording "overwhelmed" worries me....this is just the beginning. If you have no clue what to ask or look for then you will be in for major issues...Tenants overall are professionals when it comes to renting and not everybody is honest and many could get an academy award for acting/lying!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The wording "overwhelmed" worries me....this is just the beginning. If you have no clue what to ask or look for then you will be in for major issues...Tenants overall are professionals when it comes to renting and not everybody is honest and many could get an academy award for acting/lying!
So true. OP, please think carefully. There are enough naive angry tenants and naive landlords on this forum spouting their woes and one less would be awesome. Cheers!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Some companies won't allow private people to conduct a background check....so you have to check carefully.

The one we work with is only allowing myself and one other person in our company to email/fax it and than they call back to verify if it is us requesting it. Ones one of our realtors had faxed them a form and they didn't allow it. That is to prevent people from obtaining peoples SSN for other purposes than legal things.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,689 times
I agree with the others -- there is just so much to know about renting out property that you have to be really well educated on it or it can turn around and bite you in the end (i.e. law suit). What are the mandatory disclosure forms you need to give each tenant? What lease clauses are prohibited in your state? What will you do if the tenant fails to pay rent? Are you aware of the laws regarding notices required fo eviction? You will not be near the home -- does your family have experience in LL/tenant issues? Are they prepared to be called at any hour to repair something?

Many people do manage to be adequate private landlords on their own -- of course -- but I do think many in your boat (LL be default, so to speak) get thrown into this without knowing the laws and potential ramifications of not knowing all of the laws.

Research on this forum alone will give you some clue about how things can go wrong quickly, from both the tenant and a LL perspective.

I urge you to reconsider hiring a PM company, but regardless of what you do, I wish you luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM

68 posts, read 172,028 times
I'm just worried about how much a PM company will cost... I mean we aren't selling because we can't take the loss. I cant afford to pay out of pocket. Everyone has given me alot to think about, which I am doing very seriously.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,689 times
We rent out a house we couldn't sell, and unfortunately fair market value for it for rent does not cover our entire mortgage, insurance and property taxes anyway. We get $1100 a month for it and pay about $1500/mo, plus the PM company takes 10% so we really are looking at a loss of $over $500 a month. But that's better than it just sitting there empty and we have the knowledge that someone with a ton of experience is handing the tenants -- we have not had to deal with that whole part of things at all.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM

24 posts, read 92,701 times
Ask for permission from the potential tenant for an analysis of their credit report, and seeking professional help from property managers is also a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting