Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You may ask, but the questions you may ask and the answers given can be very broad and without much detailed information. You might check out post #31 in this thread as I went into it some and quoted guidelines from a document issues by the Justice and HUD Departments.
Good information Bosco. Hey just FYI, if you click on the post "number" in the top right above that post it will display and provide you with a link to exactly that post.

Such as this one you referenced, Post 31: //www.city-data.com/forum/32326083-post31.html

Unfortunately, you do rant a bit on that one, perhaps with justification, but it's not one of your best!

But it is informative!!!!

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-17-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Originally Posted by old_cold
It is so wrong not to be able to demand a certificate signed by a doctor stating that a person is qualified to have such an animal .

Accoding to you, I now need to walk around with a certificate, and be prepared to show it to any joe schmoe, stating that I am handicapped! Gee, thanks. As if my handicap alone isn 't enough of a burden?

People aren't allowed to park in handicap spots just on their own say-so...they must have proper tags. Why should this be different?

Where is there a difference between this and handicapped parking tags?
Isn't a tag or plate announcing to every joe schmoe that one is handicapped? But that aside, common sense should tell you I meant that you should have to be required to offer proof it to interested parties such as landlords and store/restaurant owners.
Associations for service animals are behind credentials so as to try to stop the phonies since it make it much harder for the legitimate ones.
The difference is that I am providing personal information to an agency which is supposed to keep that information confidential. While it does announce that the holder has a handicap, it doesn't require providing every joe and jane schmoe of the details, nor give them the right to question me. BTW, I choose not to have a handicap plate nor tag because others need it more.

So you're saying then that landlords and store/restaurant owners are going to keep my information confidential? Oh yah? where's the safeguards? Can they lose their job? Are there sanctions? It's enough that I have a handicap; the details are not important to just anyone.

And it's great that agencies for service dogs are behind having credentials. Oh great, as if those of us with handicaps aren't penalized enough by having lots of our needs not covered by insurance companies (hearing aids for instance - mine cost $4K EACH) but now I'm going to have to pay someone else to certify that my dog does what I've trained her to do - and it's going to cost me money - just like a license to drive costs.

You think govt agencies are going to do this certifying for free?

This is at least the 3rd thread in recent weeks where people have confused ESAs with SDs and have no idea there even is a difference! It's incumbent upon the landlords and store/business owners to know the ADA - and follow it.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

So you're saying then that landlords and store/restaurant owners are going to keep my information confidential? Oh yah? where's the safeguards? Can they lose their job? Are there sanctions? It's enough that I have a handicap; the details are not important to just anyone.
Rather than appearing to be ignoring you, I will tell you I am doing so because, to me, you're simply ranting and raving and making little practical sense.
Other readers can make up their own minds from what has already been said.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Rather than appearing to be ignoring you, I will tell you I am doing so because, to me, you're simply ranting and raving and making little practical sense.
Other readers can make up their own minds from what has already been said.

You read my mind.

If your (not referring to you, old-cold) dog is truly a SD or a ESA then you won't have any issue with anyone asking you about it. And if you do..then you're part of the problem. You (NY Annie) could be part of the solution by educating those who are ignorant about SDs and ESAs, but I suggest you brush up on your communication skills first.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You (NY Annie) could be part of the solution by educating those who are ignorant about SDs and ESAs, but I suggest you brush up on your communication skills first.
In defense of Annie I'm a little confused by the comment about her communication skills. In my opinion she's addressed the issue most politely and in considerable detail. Maybe an assumption's being made because she formatted her responses in red to differentiate them from the default black?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In defense of Annie I'm a little confused by the comment about her communication skills. In my opinion she's addressed the issue most politely and in considerable detail. Maybe an assumption's being made because she formatted her responses in red to differentiate them from the default black?
Sometimes ....sometimes...things are easier to determine when in person.
Her posts on this subject come across to me as purely overly emotional, defensive and nonsensical .She's also being defensive about issues nobody is promoting.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, red lettering in these type of forums indicate anger..just like all caps indicates yelling.

Maybe my assumption is off base, won't be the first time. But, she doesn't come across as a person trying to educate someone, she comes across as someone trying to cram something down your throat......her rant was very high strung and if she attempts to education people on SDs and ESAs using that 'tone' they will tune her out....just like I did after the first sentence.

I'm all for learning about this stuff....as I said I'm totally ignorant about it...but if you're going to 'yell' at me, 'rant' at me, and cram your view down my throat....I'm not going to listen to you.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM

^^^ And, again, it seems that you interpreted her typing in red as being combative when I believe her sole intent was to differentiate her responses from the body of the post she was commenting on. Look at her comments in black and again I see no reason to rail against her by accusing her of yelling, ranting or cramming her view down anyone's throat. JUST SAYIN''.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
^^^ And, again, it seems that you interpreted her typing in red as being combative when I believe her sole intent was to differentiate her responses from the body of the post she was commenting on. Look at her comments in black and again I see no reason to rail against her by accusing her of yelling, ranting or cramming her view down anyone's throat. JUST SAYIN''.

I CAN HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR...NO NEED TO YELL AND NO NEED TO BE SO HOSTILE!

I guess I'm just reading it differently than you. I will go back and read it and this time keep an open mind.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I CAN HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR...NO NEED TO YELL AND NO NEED TO BE SO HOSTILE!
YOU FORGOT TO CHANGE THE COLOR TO RED!

I shall now return to my daily chores ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting