Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascher25 View Post
Yes we have money in the bank + then the year . I am going to call the apartment today that we lived in for 7 years before buying a house maybe that would also help us out. Stressed and thanks for the reply
Make up your income. You can easily alter bank statements using photoshop and use a friend as a work reference. The rest is covered as you said you have good credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Your dog won't be a problem because of the breed. Restricted breeds are bully type dogs - pitbulls, German shepherds, I think Dobermans, that type of dog.

Here's an example of restricted breeds:

What Dog Breeds are Restricted With Homeowners Insurance? | Finance - Zacks

If you think your husband might continue to be disabled, you should have him apply for Social Security disability now. You don't need a lawyer to do so. If he gets rejected (and he probably will, even if he qualifies - seems to be standard procedure), you can appeal and the clock continues ticking back to when you applied. It can take several years to be approved, so you want the clock ticking asap.

Also, look into state disability. I was injured and got workers comp. When that dried up, I was able to get on state disability. When that dried up, i applied for Social Security disability. SSI ended up approving me all the way back to my original injury date, but it took about 3 years for them to approve me after I applied. I should have applied right away.

What happens is, they end up deducting for whatever workers comp paid you, then state disability. Then you get back pay after that's deducted to the point his disability is approved as having started.

If he's disabled, he can't also get unemployment, because to get that, he has to be able to work.

Don't know if you needed that info, but there you have it. I wish someone would have told me to apply for SSI right off the bat. I ended up having to live off of credit cards for a year, in between coverage. You can apply online.

http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

What happens is they will deny you. THEN you get a Soc Sec disability attorney. They won't accept you until you have been denied. They can only take a small percentage of whatever back pay is awarded - it's really minimal and is set by law. If they get you nothing, they get nothing. Nothing out of pocket.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Add link to apply for disability online.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your dog won't be a problem because of the breed. Restricted breeds are bully type dogs - pitbulls, German shepherds, I think Dobermans, that type of dog.

Here's an example of restricted breeds:

What Dog Breeds are Restricted With Homeowners Insurance? | Finance - Zacks
Interesting link. I've never seen Huskies or Great Danes on a restricted breeds list before. The rest on the list I've seen before. I actually had heard that Great Danes are good apartment dogs in big cities where everyone lives in an apartment, specifically because they are usually so mellow.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Interesting link. I've never seen Huskies or Great Danes on a restricted breeds list before. The rest on the list I've seen before. I actually had heard that Great Danes are good apartment dogs in big cities where everyone lives in an apartment, specifically because they are usually so mellow.
I agree. I also found some other insurance links where a tenant could get insurance on their breed, and use this to convince a LL to take their animal. I thought that sounded like a good idea, too.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM

22 posts, read 43,650 times
Thanks we moved it's wonderful here used American residential did not have to pay in full just a deposit thanks everyone

Old 01-04-2015, 11:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tascher25 View Post
Thanks we moved it's wonderful here used American residential did not have to pay in full just a deposit thanks everyone
I was just going to add a post echoing Lacerta's comments, when I noticed this thread was from January last year. Thank you for the update. I'm glad everything worked out.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No jobs and offering 6mhts rent up front is a HUGE red flag and very few landlords would accept that and state landlord/tenant laws might not allow it.

Good luck to you....it won't be an easy move without having jobs already lined up.

What is the red flag in getting the entire rent paid up front? if I paid the entire rent up front I'd refer to 'present value' and ask for a discount.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What is the red flag in getting the entire rent paid up front? if I paid the entire rent up front I'd refer to 'present value' and ask for a discount.
See Posts 5 and 7.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what good is paying up front for one year if next year the landlord thinks it will be an issue.
A landlord with that attitide is a landlord from whom I would not rent the first year.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I am not sure about other places, but in CA law enforcement can seize a house if drugs are being sold at the house. Generally law enforcement will tell a landlord of the situation and the landlord can immediately implement a 30 day notice to leave if it is a month to month. They avoid the 'no conviction, no proof' issue and the law enforcement taking action to take the house by telling the tenant that they are going to remodel the house or considering fixing it up to sell, etc. No excuse needed, anyway, just a 30 day notice.

BUT if the rent is paid in advance, the landlord can not evict the tenants, and they can lose the house to the law enforcement agencies before they can take legal action to stop the drug dealing. Most of the law enforcement agencies just want the bad house folks to leave the neighborhood--when they arrest one group of sellers another groups of takes over. And yep, the original renter is living in the house, just with lots of 24 hour a day scheduled 'visitors'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting