Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,401 times

Advertisements

I've never had this issue with the rentals we've bought, it's just a hypothetical that I'm curious about.

Let's say a landlord is selling a rental, and a tenant is behind on rent by a month, and the landlord hasn't proceeded with any notices/unlawful detainer action. Once the landlord sells the property, does the new landlord have any right or ability to demand the rent that was owed to the previous landlord, prior to this new owner owning the place? Or does the previous owner just forfeit the right to that rent money, and the new owner only worries about rent that is late after the purchase is complete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
I've never had this issue with the rentals we've bought, it's just a hypothetical that I'm curious about.

Let's say a landlord is selling a rental, and a tenant is behind on rent by a month, and the landlord hasn't proceeded with any notices/unlawful detainer action. Once the landlord sells the property, does the new landlord have any right or ability to demand the rent that was owed to the previous landlord, prior to this new owner owning the place? Or does the previous owner just forfeit the right to that rent money, and the new owner only worries about rent that is late after the purchase is complete?
New owner acquires all rights and responsibilities of the old owner, so yes, they could pursue the tenant for past due rent.

Proving it might be logistically difficult, depending on the circumstances.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
You owe the rent. The details of that depend on the sale agreement, the original owner may have transferred the rights to the past due monies-in which case the new owner is owed, otherwise the old owner is owed, and no, he hasn't "forfeited" the right to be paid the money the renter owes.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
The former owner retains the right to sue you for money owed.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Depends on the agreement between the previous owner and the new one. If the new LL takes the contract as-is, he has now acquired the debt, and he can collect on it, evict based on it, etc.

For the former LL to retain the right to sue over the money currently owed, this would have to be agreed upon by the parties (new LL and old LL). I don't see this as being prudent. The right to evict on the current rent due would be too murky. Seems to me the new LL couldn't evict for rent owed until the next month, on rent owed to him, as opposed to rent owed to the previous owner.

Or at least that's how I understand contract law to work.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Basically the money owned to the previous owner is non of your business unless different described in your purchase contract. At the start of you taking over the rent is due to you and if there is a security deposit and/or last month rent than that will need to transfer.

The previous owner can't with held last month rent from you even though he is owed rent. If he wants to collect than that is between tenant and previous owner.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 21,808 times
I am trying to do a 1031 exchange and the house I am buying has a dead beat tenant in it. The old owner is only now serving her a 30 day notice. How long will it take to get her out. What if she doesn't get out before my 6 months time to purchase. If I agree to keep dead beat tenant can eviction monies be put into escrow to evict the dead beat tenant at a later time.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam23 View Post
I am trying to do a 1031 exchange and the house I am buying has a dead beat tenant in it. The old owner is only now serving her a 30 day notice. How long will it take to get her out. What if she doesn't get out before my 6 months time to purchase. If I agree to keep dead beat tenant can eviction monies be put into escrow to evict the dead beat tenant at a later time.
The laws vary depending on which State you're in.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam23 View Post
I wouldn't "escrow" anything - it's a non-performing asset & the purchase price should reflect that, not the escrow account. If the current owner wants retail pricing for a performing asset, they need to bounce the tenant themselves before closing. If not, they need to reduce the price significantly for the risk you're assuming.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 20,243 times
Hi. I need so advice. I went to landlord tenant court in Queens, NY for a non payment case. The old Landlord sold the building in March of 2016, and I owed him 3 months rent from 2015. Now the new Landlord is trying to collect. Is there an expiration time where he can't go after me for the old rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting