Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times

Advertisements

Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Never mind.
You're right. I'm just sick of the constant jabs. The new obtuse defense is interesting, though. Gets less posts deleted. Rather clever, actually, if it's not truly Altzheimers...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
I'm just struggling to understand why the OP wouldn't mow the grass if it wasn't specifically noted that the landlord would. This could be a simple misunderstanding, or as bad as diliberate laziness and the landlord is upset about it. Why wouldn't you want your yard looking decent? And why would you let it grow to the point of an HOA fine without at least making a phone call to the landlord asking about it? I guess I'm just looking at this one differently. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
Quote:
I'm just struggling to understand why the OP wouldn't mow the grass if it wasn't specifically noted that the landlord would. This could be a simple misunderstanding, or as bad as diliberate laziness and the landlord is upset about it. Why wouldn't you want your yard looking decent? And why would you let it grow to the point of an HOA fine without at least making a phone call to the landlord asking about it? I guess I'm just looking at this one differently. I'm not trying to be argumentative.
I believe the OP is not a native born American (or, maybe I'm dreaming). Perhaps in the culture where he comes from, the landlord always provides the landscaping. Or he comes from an uber-urban area where there are no grass lawns. Just thinking up excuses here. But you're right - he should have contacted the landlord when the grass got knee high.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Everywhere I've lived, its been specified one way or another. Some landlords have taken care of it, sometimes I took care of it. Same as snow and sidewalks. One landlord, we were responsible for snow but he took care of grass; if we didn't take care of snow removal, the city fines got sent to us; this was spelled out in the lease. I think sometimes they come by and do it themselves to be able to routinely monitor the state of the property.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I believe the OP is not a native born American (or, maybe I'm dreaming). Perhaps in the culture where he comes from, the landlord always provides the landscaping. Or he comes from an uber-urban area where there are no grass lawns. Just thinking up excuses here. But you're right - he should have contacted the landlord when the grass got knee high.
If nothing else, I think it's endlessly entertaining. In my experience, landlords (both private and corporate) tend to want to write up their own leases with all kinds of provisions to given themselves leverage that may or may not be enforceable, and tend to skip the really simple stuff like this. Then, they freak out when the game gets flipped on them and they take it in the wallet.

This should be a lesson to all landlords: Almost every state (every one I've lived in for certain) has a Bar Association. Those State Bars usually provide (at little or no cost) a residential lease form. Any landlord that is NOT using a Bar approved lease is asking for trouble.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeke View Post
hi, i currently have issue with my landlord...

I leased a house for 2 yrs, (Apr 2013~Apr 2015), and last month, landlord told me i need to pay HOA's Fine $25 because he told me he received violation notices for upkeep of lawn. and i denied to pay for it because of it was not in lease agreement, and he never tell or ask me about yard maintenance. And on mid, December, my LL send me certified mail with new lease agreement with adding yard maintenance, and all fine fee from HOA, city, gov, are responsible my tenant, and rental insurance is mandatory, and LL told me if i do not agree with new lease agreement, he will evict me. and i told him i will not sign it because of i do not agree with new terms. Those new terms were not in original agreement, and i told him i do not agree. and after few days, he put EVICTION NOTICE on my door, which is not legal eviction notice from judge,, it was just a RED PAPER with eviction notice saying he will evict me from house if i do not agree and sign with new agreement...

So i sent him several certified mail and wrote him letter that i will not agree with new agreement, and i'll going to move out if LL still want me to sign new agreement, and asked him i'll move out by dec.31 as long as he return my security deposit and all money i paid for rent and moving expanses, and he denied to resond my letter until jan 13. 2014, and jan 13.2014, receive call from LL's attoney, and he told me they want me to sign on new contract or they will sue me for eviction.

what should i do now/??
Lawn maintenance of what sort, in Phoenix Arizona?

What EXACTLY was the $25 fine for?

Does your lease state that you must adhere to HOA rules and were you given a copy of the "rules"?

8 months in to the lease and you get your first fine, after not doing any lawn maintenance for that long? Must be the slowest or laziest HOA on the planet.

Are you sure you didn't receive a new lease, but rather a spelled out version of the HOA "rules" regarding lawn maintenance because of the fine you incurred?

No offense, but your lack of being able to get your point across in a succinct manner might also mean you don't understand what is going on or what you really received in that certified letter. Was it a NEW agreement, or was it a list of items you haven't complied with but are stated in your lease?

You're ok with moving in order to avoid buying renters insurance, maintaining the lawn, paying a $25 HOA fee.....but want all of your rent returned to you plus moving expenses and your full security deposit back? That's never going to happen.

Just give your notice and move out. If you do and your security is not returned in the amount you think it should have been, take your LL to small claims. If you really have a lease that doesn't state you are responsible for lawn care/maintenance, etc., you have nothing to worry about.

If your LL really is trying to re-vamp the lease 8 months in, he can't.

Maybe your LL is a newbie and has no clue what he can or can't impose on you less than halfway in to your lease. Maybe he's just a jerk, but unless and until anyone sees your lease for themselves, it's your word against nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting