Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM

76 posts, read 176,925 times

Advertisements

What will happen If I was to cancel my property management agreement on a beach house weekly rental property. Some people have already reserved weeks at the property for this summer 14. And probably put money down to hold the weeks. The property is vacant right now and is primarily a weekly summer rental property. I plan to move into the property this March 14. And not rent it anymore.

This is language out of my agreement doc-

"This agreement shall commence on October -- 2005 and continue until May 15, of the following year and thereafter for additional periods of one year each unless Owner or Agent gives in writing, one to the other THREE MONTHS NOTICE of intent to cancel, prior to the expiration of the current yearly term."

So I can cancel the agreement 30 days prior to May 15, 2014 , correct?
I other words if I notify them now do I have any more obligation to them or the people that have reserved weeks with a deposit? Can the PMC come after me for anything?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnova View Post
, one to the other THREE MONTHS NOTICE of intent to cancel, prior to the expiration of the current yearly term."

So I can cancel the agreement 30 days prior to May 15, 2014 , correct?
I other words if I notify them now do I have any more obligation to them or the people that have reserved weeks with a deposit? Can the PMC come after me for anything?

Thanks in advance
How did you turn a 3 months notice into 30 days? Are you asking what is the implications of canceling the contact of the people that have reservations and plans to stay at your place before May 15 2014 just because you want to use it for yourself?

There are too many unknowns, when people make reservations, is there a clause that says, "Your reservations can be cancelled at any time because the owner wants to move into the unit and use it for themselves."

Talk to PMC, if you don't like the answer , talk to a real estate contracts attorney.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
Read further into your contract. Mine says I have to honor accepted reservations even if I cancel the agreement I still have tenants on those weeks.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM

thank you both

Yes correct, should be 3 months not 30 days.

The agreement only says that if I sell the property confirmed reservations must be honored. I'm not selling. I don't see anything that says if I cancel and occupy, that I have to honor confirmed reservations.

THX

Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Call your property manager and confirm with them. Keep a copy of your contract nearby when you call. You might have to honor any previous reservations even if you cancel.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Whenever my family and I have rented a house for a week in the summer we've always had a rental contract/lease that we've had to sign. If there are any leases in place, it's irrelevant whether or not you cancel your contract with the property manager because the lease is between you and the tenant. Even if the property manager signed as your agent, that is essentially you signing.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 PM

Thanks mike, I do understand that. So whats the point you are making here?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times
Mike appears to be saying that you still need to honor the terms of the weekly rentals that are already booked if there is a signed agreement between the property management company (acting as you) and the renters.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your time.

I guess it really comes down to the specific language in the contract and lease agreement.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Mike appears to be saying that you still need to honor the terms of the weekly rentals that are already booked if there is a signed agreement between the property management company (acting as you) and the renters.
Yes. That is exactly what I was trying to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting