Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 PM

58 posts, read 141,094 times

Advertisements

I just got a new job offer and I am moving from Hawaii to Phoenix, Arizona. I will arrive in Arizona around Feb 6. I am 23 years old, I never rented an apartment before in my life.

My main question is, how should I rent an apartment in Arizona? Can I do it while still in Hawaii?

I been looking at few apartments online near the area of my work, I found few with good reviews and good price.

I DON'T want to sign a lease yet. I might be here for over a year or I might be here for less than a month. My job could fire me within 2 weeks if I am not able to perform up to their standards. Is it okay to ask for month to month rates for the first 2 - 3 months before converting to a lease? If I signed a lease, can I give my employer 1 month notice before and then leave?

I am not sure on how to proceed from here. This is what I have in mind:
  1. Call the apartment place and tell them about my situation. Ask them if I could sign a month-to-month lease the first 2 months.
  2. Send them money for the application form or whatever else they need to do a background check. (While still in Hawaii)
  3. Make an appointment for Feb 6th, pay first month's rent, security deposit, and then go straight into the apartment? or do I need to wait few days in the hotel or something first (maybe AirBbB)?

I know I should check the apartment first, however, I am gonna trust the reviews that they are a livable environment. Beside, I am not that picky.

What do you guys think I should do? Any tips or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. My credit score is over 700. I don't have an employment record because I was running my own business the last year. I do have 6 months before that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
First, congrats on the job!

I think you should rent a room at the Extended Stay hotel. There are 3 in Phoenix, so check out which one would be closest to your job:

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/az/phoenix

If you don't already have a AAA membership, you might want to get one for the discount you can get:

Extended Stay America Special nightly discounted hotel rates for AAA members and Seniors

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/005/public/I...-101&zip=96067

When you stay for longer periods of time, you get cheaper rates.

Doing it this way, you will not have to worry about qualifying, etc., or renting a place you will hate, etc. If it looks like you'll be staying long enough at the job, then start looking for a rental in person. If you don't end up staying, you wont' have to break a lease, lose money for breaking a lease, get a bad landlord reference, etc., etc.

They usually have free wi-fi, cable, weekly maid service and have a laundry facility on site. They all have kitchenettes.

You can use a credit card. No deposits, application fees, etc.

I've stayed at these Extended Stay hotels all over, and have had good experiences with them.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM

Thank you!

The rate is about $50 a night ): At this rate, I guess it would be better if I rent maybe a private room or something from AirBnB.

So trying to find an apartment while still in Hawaii is a no go?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
Thank you!

The rate is about $50 a night ): At this rate, I guess it would be better if I rent maybe a private room or something from AirBnB.

Yeah, it looked like the farther away from downtown, the cheaper the Extended Stay rooms are.

What's your rent budget? You're talking Phoenix, you know. $50/night is $1500/month, including internet, cable, electricity, maid service...

The problem you will face in getting an apartment, at all, is getting someone to rent to you for a short period of time. That's your biggest challenge. Most apartments will want you to sign a year lease. If you break that lease, it's expensive, and can get you a bad reference.

At any rate, I suggest you get the hotel, or if you want to take the chance on the Air BNB, go for that. I'm just thinking about me. If I was moving to another state, for a new job, do i want to move into someone's home? Taking the chance they are weirdos? I would rather get my own hotel room, with my own little kitchen, with my own cable TV...

So, rent a room just until you find a room for rent or whatever - that you can see in person before you fork over any money or sign any contracts. You can see if the people who sound so nice on the phone are actually hoarders with cockroaches running all over the place...

That's what I would do, anyway.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 AM

That makes sense. I think I am going to pass on AirBnB, I am seeing some very negative stories.

So your suggestion that I live in a extended hotel for a whole month? How long does the process of finding and moving in to an apartment take?

I guess what I should do is get into a hotel and work for at least 2 weeks. Then try to find an apartment and lease one.

How does that sound?

My budget is really low, so I am a little worried.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Have you asked your new employers if they can be of assistance in helping you with a temporary place until you can get settled? I'm not suggesting you ask them to foot any bills but they may well know of something in the area which would suit. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:

You can do that but it is risky putting money down on a place without actually seeing it first. See if you can get a 3 or 6 month lease to start so you are not locked in for an entire year, until you are more comfortable with your situation.

This crime heat map will help you understand where the safer parts of town are. Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,622,880 times
What part of Phoenix? I spent the last 8 years there, maybe I can help

When it was time for us to move to NC this passed summer I used the internet extensively. After finding a floorplan in budget I would google "(apartment name) reviews" with the understanding that most people only write reviews when they are upset.

If the reviews were acceptable I would then look at satellite imagery and google's streetview. you can tell a lot about a place from the outside.

Then I would run the address on crime mapping websites like spotcrime.com.

If all that looked good I would start a thread on here asking about the apartment complex and area.

With my current place all of the above worked out and we still signed a short term lease without ever actually seeing the place. I'm glad I did short term, I landed on my feet and I'm ready to find some more space. we are now looking for a house to rent for the next year.

The last 2 apartments I have had would allow you to buy out of a lease with a 60 day notice and a fee equal to one month's rent. So if I decided to break the lease today I would need to pay 60 days rent and the penalty in certified funds.

Month to month is possible, but it's usually a huge upcharge. My last apartment was about $200 a month more for month to month.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I guess what I should do is get into a hotel and work for at least 2 weeks. Then try to find an apartment and lease one.

How does that sound?

My budget is really low, so I am a little worried.
I honestly think this is the best route for you. Work for 2 weeks and see how the job is going, while staying in the hotel. Let's do some math:

Let's say you stay in one of the hotels that will cost $60/night. x 14 days = $840.

If you stay less than 30 days, the tax rate for the hotel is 12.27% (hotels usually have higher tax rates)

BUT, if you stay over 30 days, the tax is only 2%.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/107710.pdf

Anyway, let's take worst case scenario. $840 + $103 (12.27%)tax = $943. That's for 14 days. = $67.35/day

If you stay 30, that's $1800 + $36 (2%) = $1836. Or $61.20/day.

Remember, this includes everything - all utilities, cable, wi-fi, weekly maid service. And your sanity :-)

How much will you be making? Can you afford that? Remember, it's just temporary.

Anyway, you can go look at the apartment you were considering renting, once you get there. Plus, your boss and co-workers will be able to steer you away from bad neighborhoods.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Seriously, don't rent a place sight unseen. Beg, Borrow, or steal to go see where you're looking at. Month-to-month places aren't impossible to find, so look for one. Get as cheap a flight you can, rent a car and drive around. Make your appointments in advance and you should be fine. Also, I know that one city I lived in had a boarding house a few blocks away. It was in a great neighborhood, and I wouldn't have lived there fulltime, but it may have worked for a month if I had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting