Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,164 times

Advertisements

Please can anyone give me any suggestions or advce. I will confront them and it will not be pleasent. Any alternative solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 15,164 times
I own a flat I have lived in it for 13 years. The landlord who owns flat above me has had few tenets renting it. I am fully aware of the noise of everyday living but the wooden floorboards have no underlay and they walk with shoes on as they own a pit bull staff that runs about they throw it's toys and it actually thumps and breakdances all over my roof is going to fall down I have high ceilings. They only take dog out once twice daily. The dog needs toilet and it jumping an bangs loudly and barks and whines I know it's not dogs fault. Healed boots walk back and forth up down I don't know where they go walking around flat all day.I try to block it out but it stresses me out I have high blood pressure and my daughter lives with me so I try to be calm and not go upstairs and kill me my daughter doesn't want any problems how is it fair. My health is affected and I can't take anymore it's 24/7 even in ma bed they never shut up and I hear them talking please help me is there anything u can advise to resolve my situation.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Buy them throw rugs?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:55 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Waking up at 5:30 to go to the gym is not "disregard for others", its normal life.
I had a race-walking National Champion living above me at one time, so I beg to differ on this point. When you race-walk you aren't allowed to bend your knees, which will soften your footfalls, and he didn't know how to walk normally as a result. One time he was pounding around above me at 6 AM on a damn SUNDAY getting ready to go to some USATF event, and he woke me up. You DON'T wake me up at 6 AM on a Sunday without it being an emergency. The only reason I didn't go out and raise hell on him when he came downstairs was because he worked with my landlord. Thankfully he moved out and in with his fiancee within the year.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
It is stated in my lease that 80% of our hardwood floors must be covered with rugs to decrease noise.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:28 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisawatt View Post
I own a flat I have lived in it for 13 years. The landlord who owns flat above me has had few tenets renting it. I am fully aware of the noise of everyday living but the wooden floorboards have no underlay and they walk with shoes on as they own a pit bull staff that runs about they throw it's toys and it actually thumps and breakdances all over my roof is going to fall down I have high ceilings. They only take dog out once twice daily. The dog needs toilet and it jumping an bangs loudly and barks and whines I know it's not dogs fault. Healed boots walk back and forth up down I don't know where they go walking around flat all day.I try to block it out but it stresses me out I have high blood pressure and my daughter lives with me so I try to be calm and not go upstairs and kill them. my daughter doesn't want any problems how is it fair. My health is affected and I can't take anymore it's 24/7 even in ma bed they never shut up and I hear them talking please help me is there anything u can advise to resolve my situation.
Have you even attempted to talk to that owner/LL about the issues to let them know how loud it is and all that you can hear including them talking? They may not even be aware of it. I would think that they would be willing to listen and compromise as much as possible. They might just speak with the tenants for you and make suggestions to put rugs down and/or to try and keep it a bit more quiet and respectful for the people below them.

You won't know until you try but that is what I would suggest you do first.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
I truly sympathize with you.. When people talk about natural noise and natural living it's because they are not thinking about the exception. People can be noisy and inconsiderate of others when they're sharing space such as in renting a space. It is very stressful to have all of that noise about you head. The people above you need a house not an apartment. And the dog is too heavy to be running in the apartment.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:06 PM

143 posts, read 177,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Noise in a duplex has more to do with overall construction rather than a bit of carpet. You will hear noise no matter what you do, short of soundproofing the place.

Waking up at 5:30 to go to the gym is not "disregard for others", its normal life. Doing laundry at 11:30 is debatable, but still, this person may just no be aware of how much noise carries.

Bottom line.. you are living in a duplex. Noise is a fact of life.
Mindless excuses for bad behavior, ignoring the original poster's point. People living with shared walls and floors have to adjust their behavior to be actual adults. You can't just act as if you're in a solo house.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. She can't be taking that long to get ready to go to the gym.
Sure she can. My daughters have both occupied the bedroom above mine. All hardwood floors. The oldest would make noises that sounded like she vaulted out of bed, slammed each dresser drawer open and closed several times, vaulted back and forth over the bed several times, re-slammed all the drawers, then finally ran downstairs in her sneakers to go to school at 7am. That was a long 3 years.

My younger daughter moved upstairs and got a pretty metal bedframe. She is the worst sleeper ever, sometimes staying up all night, in and out of bed. It squeaks everytime she rolls over. That was another 3 long years.

Yesterday I moved out of the house and into a first floor condo unit. I figured no one could be louder than my children. I was pleased to meet my upstairs neighbor, a quiet older lady who likes to garden. If it is at all possible she is a worse sleeper than my youngest. Last night at 3am she got up and walked back and forth over a squeaky floorboard for what seemed like half an hour (this is after 2 long days of packing and loading and unloading so I thought I'd sleep like a log). I heard her a few other times in the night as well.

My saving grace is: $3 package of purple ear plugs from Walmart. I can still hear my clock radio in the am and I no longer hear anyone upstairs. Problem solved.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I sympathize with anyone who lives in units with hardwood floors, particularly those who live downstairs.

When I was living in the Albany, NY area for a short time we had an apartment that had gorgeous hardwood floors and was a downstairs unit. We fell in love with it the minute we saw it and rented it after the tour since it was roomy and in a highly rated school district.

The first night we spent there, it sounded like the ceiling was going to cave in or something with the noise from upstairs! The upstairs residents favored shoes with heels on them and they had children that loved to run around. Not mentioning the dogs that barked frequently and the phone that we could hear ringing off the hook. Unfortunately it turned out the walls were thin as well, too and we were treated to the sound of the neighbors on the left side of us fighting constantly and their kids having tantrums. On the right hand side of us, we were treated to the sound of the neighbors blasting country music and having loud sex at 4AM. Sex is great but geez, who is in the mood for that or anything else at 4AM?!

I could sleep through most of this since I am a pretty solid sleeper but DH is not and would get angry and holler at the ceiling. His blood pressure actually increased during the time we lived there ::

As much as I love hardwood floors, the only way I will have them again will be in a SFH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting