Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM

47 posts, read 91,551 times

Advertisements

Just curious

I was walking my dog in my apartment complex last night and I took her to the other side of the building and I noticed there are about 6 junker cars parked in the parking lot. All of them had flat tires and one was even missing a hood!! Lol They arent bothering me since they arent anywhere close to my unit but just wondering do apartment managers even allow this? Seems like it might also be an eyesore for potential residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
We didn't allow unregistered vehicles to remain on the property. Also, if one had a flat tire, they were told to get it fixed. You're right, it is an eyesore and affects the ability to get and keep good tenants. Things like that tend to attract crime, too, from what I learned at a HOA seminar with the local police one time. (I was on the board of the HOA and the police gave us a presentation on graffitti, junker cars, etc., attracting crime).

If I was a tenant in your complex, I would complain.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We didn't allow unregistered vehicles to remain on the property. Also, if one had a flat tire, they were told to get it fixed. You're right, it is an eyesore and affects the ability to get and keep good tenants. Things like that tend to attract crime, too, from what I learned at a HOA seminar with the local police one time. (I was on the board of the HOA and the police gave us a presentation on graffitti, junker cars, etc., attracting crime).

If I was a tenant in your complex, I would complain.
Yeah all of them had expired registration stickers. I remember when I moved in, they actually went to go check my car to make sure they were up to date. Guess after that they dont care...

Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie10 View Post
Just curious

I was walking my dog in my apartment complex last night and I took her to the other side of the building and I noticed there are about 6 junker cars parked in the parking lot. All of them had flat tires and one was even missing a hood!! Lol They arent bothering me since they arent anywhere close to my unit but just wondering do apartment managers even allow this? Seems like it might also be an eyesore for potential residents.
Call code enforcement!

We don't allow it and neither does any HOA and if the cars are like that...most likely their plates have expired and cars not insured and we don't allow non insured cars and expire license plates so we call the County and solve it that way or with a 7 day Notice.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
NONE! Tho we did have a tenant that got mad at a few people & went around slashing tires! In that case it took awhile to catch the guy evict him & take to court to collect for the damages! Yes LL did it ALL! Then people started fixing the cars. As soon as the inspection sticker dies or the tags die some one here has to call the police they ticket the car!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
On the HOA ones you gotta have a parking sticker or they get towed. On my non HOA ones are in a beach area and larking is at a premium so there aren't any derelict cars. I also have a tow away agreement that any if my tenants or I call and can enforce.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Im sure they are all over the apartment complex.. I just happened to have noticed those. There's even one by my apartment that looks like it hasnt been moved in years. We dont have assigned parking here so it can be a real pain to get parking close to your building sometimes. The apartment manager has never brought it up, only parking issue they have mentioned is that we are not allowed to park in handicap areas if we dont have tags but this hasnt stopped anyone either.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
IF they don't have Handicap tags or card in window Call the Police! Not only will the car be towed the owner pays up to $500 fine!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
As long as the vehicle is clean, secure with good tires it's ok with me as long as it is registered to a lease holder.

I draw the line at shade tree mechanics...

At one property I had way too much trouble because a neighbor kept complaining of an abandoned car... the owner was a merchant marine and would be gone for extended times...

The neighborhood busybody kept reporting it because it didn't have current tags... but, it was licensed... one time the sticker was taken and after that he didn't put them on untill he was in town...

Car was always property parked in his carport on private property.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF they don't have Handicap tags or card in window Call the Police! Not only will the car be towed the owner pays up to $500 fine!
That is not true in all locations, only in some municipalities. In many locations the police could care less about parking problems on private property. Yes, apartment parking lots are private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting