Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 57,602 times

Advertisements

My question is based on WA state law. I just signed a lease today on a house. When we went to the house to take mmeasurements and let our kids see the new house and the house clearly hasn't been cleaned after the last renters moved out. I called the rental agency and explained the conditions I found the house in. The rental agency told me since I have already signed the lease I am receiving the house in the condition I found it. I am wondering what my recourse is at this point? We have not moved into the unit yet but we have signed the lease and paid 1 months rent. Its really not that we dont want to take the house just that I know when I move put I am expected to leave it clean but I didn't receive it clean. And advice would be welcome. I am trying to prepare to protect myself if I ever move out. What steps or things can I do now that will be helpful if I do ever decide to move out?
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If you still want the house and don't object to cleaning it up yourself, take dated pictures of everything so as to show the current condition. When you are ready to leave, do the same.
Before you actually move in, request that somebody do a walk through with you and write down what all the conditions are and sign it.
If nobody will do that, you still have the photos.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you still want the house and don't object to cleaning it up yourself, take dated pictures of everything so as to show the current condition. When you are ready to leave, do the same.
Before you actually move in, request that somebody do a walk through with you and write down what all the conditions are and sign it.
If nobody will do that, you still have the photos.
Exactly. You only have to leave the place in the same condition you found it in.

If it's too late to do a walk-through, put your conversation in writing that you had with the manager.

Such as:

Dear Butthead LL:

As you know, on such and such date I called to let you know the unit had not been cleaned prior to our tenancy. You told me that since I signed the lease already, that I must take the unit as-is. According to WA state law, I am only required to leave the unit in the same condition I found it. Therefore, I do not expect to be charged any cleaning fees from my deposit when I vacate the premises.

The alternative would be for you to reimburse me for the cleaning bill I have attached.

Cheers,

You

Know Your Rights - Tenants Union of Washington State

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
What you should have done was document the condition of the property, adding that it's agreed by both parties that it will be professionally cleaned before move-in day. Exactly the same as you would do if you found appliances not working or any damages which needed to be fixed. Both parties date and sign the understanding.

Since you didn't do that, you've accepted the place "as is" and should follow poster oldcold's advice so that when time comes for you to move out you have documentation of the move-in condition in case it should be necessary. Enjoy your new home!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone! NoMoreSnowForMe- your letter idea is super! I have taken pictures and made a detailed list of what we found. I will be preenting my letter with pictures to the property management company by tomorrow. I think I have taken some where around 200 pictures of the house. I am not happy with the condition of the house but its nothing a few hrs of cleaning wont fix. Its just so frustrating cause even when I do move out its going to look better than how its does now. Just not fair that the management company and LL dont care about there property.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, you signed the lease without seeing the house? In the future, don't do that again.

If the house in uninhabitable, you might be able to refuse to take possession. "Dirty" would have to be pretty awful to be uninhabitable. I've seen that much dirt, but not often.

If you want the house anyway, take lots of photos and then clean it up to your standard of living. It is just one extra cleaning , because in your time living there, you will be cleaning many times.

I suggest that you do not leave the place dirty. You can't anyway. Unless you live like pigs, the house should be maintained at a clean standard.

The photos are to show that you left the house in a cleaner state so that they can not deduct cleaning from your deposit.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, you signed the lease without seeing the house? In the future, don't do that again.

If the house in uninhabitable, you might be able to refuse to take possession. "Dirty" would have to be pretty awful to be uninhabitable. I've seen that much dirt, but not often.

If you want the house anyway, take lots of photos and then clean it up to your standard of living. It is just one extra cleaning , because in your time living there, you will be cleaning many times.

I suggest that you do not leave the place dirty. You can't anyway. Unless you live like pigs, the house should be maintained at a clean standard.

The photos are to show that you left the house in a cleaner state so that they can not deduct cleaning from your deposit.
She didn't say she hadn't seen it prior to signing, she said that it wasn't cleaned prior to being turned over to her. Not the same thing.

It is usual for landlords to clean and do any maintenance, painting, etc. in between tenants. NoMoreSnow gave great advice, OP. Good luck with the landlord. Use this experience to inform your future dealings with this property - document EVERYTHING. Need a repair? Put it in writing.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyboowho View Post
Thanks everyone! NoMoreSnowForMe- your letter idea is super! I have taken pictures and made a detailed list of what we found. I will be preenting my letter with pictures to the property management company by tomorrow. I think I have taken some where around 200 pictures of the house. I am not happy with the condition of the house but its nothing a few hrs of cleaning wont fix. Its just so frustrating cause even when I do move out its going to look better than how its does now. Just not fair that the management company and LL dont care about there property.

Thanks for your help!
Be sure to save those photos to a back up disk. I did that once and lost all of my photos when a hard drive crashed.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Yes, I looked at the house before I signed the lease. I was told the house would be cleaned prior to me moving in. Days later when we where reasy to move in nothing was done and the house was still in the same condition as the 1st time I looked at it. I took 210 pictures and wrote a detailed letter outlining whats was dirty, broken or missing And delivered it to the management company. I also outlined in the letter that I expected I would not be charged any cleaning fees upon my vacancy of the unit. Then after I cleaned I took pictures of the dirty items showing what the clean item should have looked like if they actually cleaned the unit before I moved in. I have started a cute file documenting everything I have dealt with about this rental company!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyboowho View Post
Yes, I looked at the house before I signed the lease. I was told the house would be cleaned prior to me moving in. I have started a cute file documenting everything I have dealt with about this rental company!
Lesson learned. Rather than going through the CYA routine after the fact, always get oral agreements in writing, Whenever you make even a small request for maintenance or anything else, put it in writing. If something is discussed orally, follow up your understanding of the conversation with a simple confirming email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting