Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

88 posts, read 526,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Verify if your state allows that, some have no limitations on the amount od deposit and a few limit it to a maximum of one month's rent.
I am in WA state and I believe there is no limit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnowWhyIDidIt View Post
I am trying to understand the risk here. If they dont pay rent, I can always evict them. I know tha's a hassle as well but it is possible to remove them within a month.

If they file for bankruptcy before I evict them, Will I not be able to evict them?

What about if I ask them for more deposit like 2 months ?
I forget what state you are in. What are the laws regarding how much you can collect for a deposit? Then, if you are in the middle of an eviction trying to get them out, can you use the deposit money for their rent? Probably not. You won't be able to touch the deposit money until they vacate. Be sure your lease and/or laws will allow you to use the deposit towards unpaid rent after they vacate.

Bankruptcies can delay/stop evictions depending on the state:

Evictions and the Automatic Stay in Bankruptcy | Nolo.com

If they file bankruptcy, there is what's called an automatic stay. The laws have changed to make it easier for a LL to get someone out if they file bankruptcy, but it looks like, from my research, there is still a delay and you as a LL will probably have to appear before the bankruptcy trustee or get a lawyer to sort things out and get them out.

I'd like to ask you this question. Why are these tenants NOT a risk in your opinion? Why are you willing to possibly lose at least a month's rent, in the event you will have to evict them? I don't understand your willingness to take the risk.

You've had lots of good advice from people who have years of experience screening tenants. Take it or leave it. If you go with these tenants, I hope you prove us all wrong.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
I am in WA state and I believe there is no limit..
From what I just read, it appears you are correct. Make sure you understand your obligations and duties in regard to the deposit as written here Chapter 59.18 RCW: RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD-TENANT ACT

i.e. written check list, monies held in trust account, time line and requirements for returning the deposit.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Woops, apparently we're all typing at the same time.

As far as the Equifax report, call them up and ask them to explain the report. My hunch is the zero balance means the creditor wrote off the debt. That doesn't mean they actually paid it off.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

I am OP. What documents do you as a LL ask for from a self employed person? How do I know someone self-employed actually makes what she says he/she does.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I am OP. What documents do you as a LL ask for from a self employed person? How do I know someone self-employed actually makes what she says he/she does.

Thanks
Self employed people still have to file tax returns ...

Are you looking at other prospective tenants?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Verify if your state allows that, some have no limitations on the amount od deposit and a few limit it to a maximum of one month's rent.
I dont have any other offers at this time.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:

Thanks

You've already been told what to ask for...business tax return, account payables, and account receivables...you want to see the money flow...these will show you how financially strong her business is or isn't

Personally I can't see why you're wasting so much time and energy on these people...just say no alredy and move on to a more qualified tenant.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
I dont have any other offers at this time.

What does this have to do with the deposit limit allowed by your state?

I really think this is something you need to hire a PM for.....at least until you get your bearings about being a landlord and at least learn the laws of your state.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What does this have to do with the deposit limit allowed by your state?

I really think this is something you need to hire a PM for.....at least until you get your bearings about being a landlord and at least learn the laws of your state.
The problem with that is that his own agent is pushing bad tenants on him.

OP, if you can wait for a better tenant, you should. If not, you should minimize your risk with these tenants, if you feel you must rent to them. For me, that would be as fat a deposit as I could get away with, and a month-to-month agreement only.

These guys are not going to get accepted everywhere they go. You are in the power position with these tenants. You tell them what you will put up with, take it or leave it. Let them go trolling for another landlord who will accept their credit and their terms. They'll accept what you offer them.

The mere fact that they are still dealing with you shows they don't have any other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting