Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 AM

13,382 posts, read 28,643,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
Uhm, yes I do ONLY smoke outdoors. There has NEVER been a cigarette lit up in my apartment since I've lived here. Period. I don't want my house or clothes to smell and more importantly, I have a small child and it's not fair to her if she has to breathe that in. In fact, when I do smoke, I wear a jacket and wash my hands after. Just because I smoke, doesn't make me a liar. If it's THAT cold outside and I don't wanna go outside, I just don't smoke.

And they don't sneak to do it. The LL doesn't enforce the no smoking on balconies rule. I don't think they care as long as you aren't smoking in your unit. And personally, I don't care what my neighbors do on their own balconies as long as they aren't blowing smoke towards any of my open windows intentionally.
Agree as I only smoke outside. Didn't smoke in my house in NJ went out on the deck, don't smoke inside my condo in FL, go out on lanai and close the sliders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:34 PM

32,545 posts, read 47,653,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
......... Just because I smoke, doesn't make me a liar.....
And just because you don't lie and only smoke outside doesn't make every other smoker truthful and doesn't guarantee that every other smoker will only smoke outside.

I'm not going to hook the smokers up to a lie detector machine. If they smoke I don't rent to them and that way it doesn't matter if they lie about only smoking outside.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:44 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,913,969 times
Smoking presents a fire hazard.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,339,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Candles, careless cooking, and overuse of extension cords are just as dangerous.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,913,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Candles, careless cooking, and overuse of extension cords are just as dangerous.
And all are just as preventable as causes. More so, because they are not addictions.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,078,485 times
Smoke-free should be the norm. It is your prerogative if you want to blow smoke into your lungs, but you cannot impose your affliction upon others. I would not rent to any person that smokes, it is a nuisance, causes litter, disturbs others, fire hazard, it is costly to clean, plain and simple: nicotine is just nasty stuff.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:53 PM

13,656 posts, read 12,317,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yes, but most smokers avoid burning down their residence. Think about it...how many millions of Americans smoked over the last century? Lots of them.

Most landlords are way less concerned about the fire hazard than they are about odor remediation and burn marks.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,550,926 times
I can understand not wanting someone to smoke in a rental house or apartment, or in any other enclosed space that is shared or will eventually be used by others.

The thing that infuriates me is that even smokers who comply, without complaint, with all of these regulations are STILL treated like pariahs, and told they may not smoke outdoors, or even completely off the premises. Discarded butts are a problem, yes, but are they really any more of a problem than dropped gum wrappers, fast food wrappers, or soda cans? Littering is littering, there's no need to single out any one group of people - just treat ALL littering as wrong.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,162,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I can understand not wanting someone to smoke in a rental house or apartment, or in any other enclosed space that is shared or will eventually be used by others.

The thing that infuriates me is that even smokers who comply, without complaint, with all of these regulations are STILL treated like pariahs, and told they may not smoke outdoors, or even completely off the premises. Discarded butts are a problem, yes, but are they really any more of a problem than dropped gum wrappers, fast food wrappers, or soda cans? Littering is littering, there's no need to single out any one group of people - just treat ALL littering as wrong.
Amen.

I lied to my last landlord and said I was a non-smoker because I'd planned on only smoking outside. I ended up smoking inside the unit, but cleaned it top to bottom before leaving, replaced the yellowed plastic mini-blinds, and re-painted the room where I smoked. I got my entire deposit back. I also stopped smoking indoors several months before I moved out, so that helped a lot too.

Someone smoking inside your rental isn't always the end of the world. I left no trace behind, and I had someone who claimed to be allergic to cigarette smoke take a tour of the inside to see if I'd done as good a job as I thought I had. She couldn't smell anything and didn't have a reaction (though I believe most peoples' "allergies" to cigarettes are exaggerated).

Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,339,682 times
Quote:
(though I believe most peoples' "allergies" to cigarettes are exaggerated).
Agree.
Many of these pious people reek of weed/marijuana....so do their cars. I don't know who they think they're kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting