U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 85,896 times

Advertisements

State of Tennesee

Apartment complex sent me a eviction notice through a collection agency. I was served by some servant.
My wife was not served because she was not at home so he just served me only and asked when she would be back I said i dont know

We do owe 2 months of rent and 2 late fees

Now on our detainee eviction paper it doesnt list how much we owe it just says back/current rent /late fees/attorney fees. No dollar amount

Now i was never served any paper before the eviction notice to show up to court

I called th ecompany who is representing the aprtment complex and they said I owe serve fee/filing fee/pet deposit/pre court cost

He also said I split what I owe up until the court date of March 10th which i would have in full by then actually i have all the money now

But my question is can they make me pay the pet deposit and a "pre court" cost whatever that is and how can they take me to eviction court and not have a dollar amount on detainer eviction warrant?

I'm thinking I only ave to pay back rent/late fee/serve and filing fee.

How can they add a pet deposit on a eviction notice is unheard of to me.

They told me I have to pay the pet deposit as well in order to drop the eviction case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,667,632 times
Do you have an unauthorized pet? Do you have a pet you already paid a pet deposit for? I think if you can prove you already paid the pet deposit, they can't make you pay it again. If you don't have a pet at all, it might be a mistake by the collection agency, or just a made up fee they are trying to stiff you for--collection agencies aren't known for being honest.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 PM

20,912 posts, read 23,325,406 times
[quote=roadhogger;33430865]State of Tennesee

Apartment complex sent me a eviction notice through a collection agency. I was served by some servant.
My wife was not served because she was not at home so he just served me only and asked when she would be back I said i dont know

Now on our detainee eviction paper it doesnt list how much we owe it just says back/current rent /late fees/attorney fees. No dollar amount

THEY COULD OF ATTEMPTED TO DELIVER BUT YOU WERE NOT HOME OR DID NOT ACCEPT.

I called th ecompany who is representing the aprtment complex and they said I owe serve fee/filing fee/pet deposit/pre court cost

YES YOU ARE BEING SUED FOR ALL COSTS. THATS S.O.P

He also said I split what I owe up until the court date of March 10th which i would have in full by then actually i have all the money now

IM NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS. WHAT ARE YOU SPLITTING? IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TELL THEM YOU WILL PAY THEM TO SETTLE AS LONG AS THEY SEND A WRITTEN NOTICE THE CASE WILL BE DROPPED WITH NO FURTHER CLAIMS AGAINST YOU.

But my question is can they make me pay the pet deposit and a "pre court" cost whatever that is and how can they take me to eviction court and not have a dollar amount on detainer eviction warrant?

THEY CANT MAKE YOU PAY ANYTHING BEFORE COURT. THATS WHY THEY ARE TAKING YOU TO COURT. IM NOT SURE WHY THERE IS NO DOLLAR AMOUNT ON THE PAPERWORK

YOURE THINKING WRONG. COURT COSTS AND THE EVICTION WILL GO ON YOUR RECORD.

DO YOU HAVE A PET?

They told me I have to pay the pet deposit as well in order to drop the eviction case

IF THEY ARE WILLING TO SETTLE WITH YOU OUT OF COURT I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU GO THAT ROUTE [quote]

Just responding in caps

Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Do you have an unauthorized pet? Do you have a pet you already paid a pet deposit for? I think if you can prove you already paid the pet deposit, they can't make you pay it again. If you don't have a pet at all, it might be a mistake by the collection agency, or just a made up fee they are trying to stiff you for--collection agencies aren't known for being honest.

Well yes we owe it but I made a agreement prior to use moving in which was x amount per month. We still have the pet here

The thing is I thought evictions was for payment of rent only and other fees not pet deposits and rent

And then he want to charge a pre court fee of $225

Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 PM

[quote=Electrician4you;33431327][quote=roadhogger;33430865]State of Tennesee

I mean the apartment complex never gave us a pre notice which is required saying you owe x amount or vacate within x days or whatever.

I called the company who is representing the apartment complex and they said I owe serve fee/filing fee/pet deposit/pre court cost

IM NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS. WHAT ARE YOU SPLITTING? IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TELL THEM YOU WILL PAY THEM TO SETTLE AS LONG AS THEY SEND A WRITTEN NOTICE THE CASE WILL BE DROPPED WITH NO FURTHER CLAIMS AGAINST YOU.

Well i got to court on March 10th and the collection agency/lawyer that is handling the eviction made a payment arrangement with us. x amount this week /x amount next week/final due 2 days before court date then they will dismiss, he also will give written notice on 1st notice that case will be dismissed via full payment

THEY CANT MAKE YOU PAY ANYTHING BEFORE COURT. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TAKING YOU TO COURT. IM NOT SURE WHY THERE IS NO DOLLAR AMOUNT ON THE PAPERWORK

Well they are not making me pay but if I pay before court they will dismiss

YOU'RE THINKING WRONG. COURT COSTS AND THE EVICTION WILL GO ON YOUR RECORD.

Will only go on my record if hey get a judgement and we dont pay

DO YOU HAVE A PET?

Yes

IF THEY ARE WILLING TO SETTLE WITH YOU OUT OF COURT I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU GO THAT ROUTE
Quote:

Do you think they will waive some cost if i come up with cash?

Online my rent portral shows 2 months rent 2 months late fee and legal fee of $200 which is the serve fee and filing fee. the pet fee is not even on there

So the pre court cost is what the collection agency is charging and what me t o pay along with everything

Just responding in caps

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 PM

20,912 posts, read 23,325,406 times
[quote=roadhogger;33431651][quote=Electrician4you;33431327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
State of Tennesee

I mean the apartment complex never gave us a pre notice which is required saying you owe x amount or vacate within x days or whatever.
Yeah but they could of tried and unable to serve you.
I called the company who is representing the apartment complex and they said I owe serve fee/filing fee/pet deposit/pre court cost

Well i got to court on March 10th and the collection agency/lawyer that is handling the eviction made a payment arrangement with us. x amount this week /x amount next week/final due 2 days before court date then they will dismiss, he also will give written notice on 1st notice that case will be dismissed via full payment

Get it in writing and then OSY them. You don't want to go to court and have eviction on record. If you owe and they can prove it you're screwed

The pet deposit. Did you pay that initially or did you get a dog sneak it in and never paid pet fee?

THEY CANT MAKE YOU PAY ANYTHING BEFORE COURT. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TAKING YOU TO COURT. IM NOT SURE WHY THERE IS NO DOLLAR AMOUNT ON THE PAPERWORK

Well they are not making me pay but if I pay before court they will dismiss

Seriously a eviction on record is not to be taken lightly. You'll have a hell of a time renting with that on record

YOU'RE THINKING WRONG. COURT COSTS AND THE EVICTION WILL GO ON YOUR RECORD.

Will only go on my record if hey get a judgement and we dont pay

Ok so you want to settle or get eviction on record?

DO YOU HAVE A PET?

Yes

If you brought a pet in after move in and did not disclose yes they can get you for pet deposit

IF THEY ARE WILLING TO SETTLE WITH YOU OUT OF COURT I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU GO THAT ROUTE
Reply in blue

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,667,632 times
Quote:
Online my rent portral shows 2 months rent 2 months late fee and legal fee of $200 which is the serve fee and filing fee. the pet fee is not even on there

So the pre court cost is what the collection agency is charging and what me t o pay along with everything

I suspect the pet deposit is a made up charge by the collection agency to get some extra money from you. I would pay your rent and fees directly to the LL, whatever your rent portal (a website?) says you owe, with no pet fee. I wouldn't pay any money directly to the collection agency.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 PM

[quote=Electrician4you;33432403][quote=roadhogger;33431651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Reply in blue
I already stated pet was with us when we moved in and me and apartment complex and we have on paper

What is OSY

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
[/b]I suspect the pet deposit is a made up charge by the collection agency to get some extra money from you. I would pay your rent and fees directly to the LL, whatever your rent portal (a website?) says you owe, with no pet fee. I wouldn't pay any money directly to the collection agency.
That is what I want to do, they told me I couldnt even pay the onsite apartment manager, it is a big complex with a clubhouse and apartment office.

If i pay directly online and bypass the collection agency I wonder if it would still get dismissed or if I will have to pay the collection agency their fees before it is dismissed

The eviction notice and court date says the collection agency is representing the apartment complex.maybe I will talk to the apartment manager in the morning but I doubt he can do anything, The apartments is owned by a bigger company that owns like 30 big complexes

Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 PM

18,652 posts, read 25,376,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
State of Tennesee

RoadHogger, From my little bit of research on the Internet, it seems to depend on which county you live in, on what the LL can and can't do. Also, it may be in your lease as to how you agreed to deal with evictions.

Anywaym, here's one legal resource:

http://www.laet.org/getattachment/89..._Combined.aspx

Look on the last page for contact info. If you're not in one of these counties, call one of them anyway, and ask for a referral to a legal aid resource in your county.

My feeling on what you should do, is to go ahead and pay what you owe. The thing is, you are going to have to end up paying it, no matter if the LL did things wrong. You might delay things, or make him have to sue you twice - once for the rent, once for other money you owe, but you'll eventually have to pay it all, and it might be more expensive for you to have to pay his fees for having to sue you twice.

You admit you owe the money, you have the money, you have a payment plan, so just pay it, IMO.

I understand your wanting to enforce the "principle of the thing," I really do. But, I think you'll end up paying more if you don't just do it their way. If it makes you feel better, let them know they're doing it wrong, and you know it, but you're going to go ahead and pay to make things go more smoothly.

That way you let them know you're no fool, but you're also going to be reasonable.

Make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or