Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
My mother is disabled on section 8 I guess that's a sob story. Don't worry nobody wants to rent from you anyway. Many elderly people are on section 8 too that worked all their lives. Many people who work are on section 8. You sound like a bitter nasty person.

Nope, not nasty and/or bitter..just honest...dont' like it? Ignore me

To stay on topic...I would assume that both wife and husband have to be on the same page in regards to the tenant if the property is owned by both them...not a situation I'd like to be.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 96,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
says the person who's currently 2mth behind on his rent.....yeah, I'd take advice from you anytime..not!

Most ppl who have one eviction can't afford to have another. And yeah you'd find a place to 'stay' but where would that place be?? Shady area full of slumlords who dont' care about their tenants credit history or background? Sounds like a grand place to live!!
That is not true. My girlfriend has a judgement and we never have any problems at all finding any place we want in nice spots

My cousin have a eviction and he lives in a nice spot

So evictions really doesnt matter to much anymore especially with the development of lots of apartment complexes etc

Im in a major city and most say evictions after 2 years is ok

All im saying is the new person with no evictions is much more a risk then person with 1 eviction in my eyes.

Anybody can lose their job at the hat of dime and get behind

Thats why I said all this checking for evictions and other stuff doesnt really make any sense to much because anybody me or you can lose their job have no money saved and get behind rent

Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Nope, not nasty and/or bitter..just honest...dont' like it? Ignore me

To stay on topic...I would assume that both wife and husband have to be on the same page in regards to the tenant if the property is owned by both them...not a situation I'd like to be.
You do sound bitter a little , wait until something happen to you and people judge you and deny your services health care or whatever it may be

Wife need to stay out of it and let hubby handle the business

Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
That is not true. My girlfriend has a judgement and we never have any problems at all finding any place we want in nice spots

My cousin have a eviction and he lives in a nice spot

So evictions really doesnt matter to much anymore especially with the development of lots of apartment complexes etc

Im in a major city and most say evictions after 2 years is ok

All im saying is the new person with no evictions is much more a risk then person with 1 eviction in my eyes.

Anybody can lose their job at the hat of dime and get behind

Thats why I said all this checking for evictions and other stuff doesnt really make any sense to much because anybody me or you can lose their job have no money saved and get behind rent

Evictions do matter to good competent landlords. Slumlords don't care and will rent to just about anybody. Your idea of nice and my idea of nice I'm sure are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

See that's the difference between you and me...you live paycheck to paycheck ( already behind 2 mths on your rent) and I don't.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Cheese and bread, enough with the bickering. See the moderator's post #69.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Evictions do matter to good competent landlords. Slumlords don't care and will rent to just about anybody. Your idea of nice and my idea of nice I'm sure are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

See that's the difference between you and me...you live paycheck to paycheck ( already behind 2 mths on your rent) and I don't.

I knew you were bitter.

and you just proved my point your idea of nice is different from others so who are you to say that somebody with a eviction cant find somewhere nice? I had bad credit and my cousin had a eviction and he stayed somewhere low crime nice place easily

I never ever stayed in slumlord. I stay in Franklin Tn which is one of the richest counties in the USA.. Thank You and if you want to look it up it is off i65 and moore

I'm done replying to you so don't even respond back

Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM

13 posts, read 19,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert419 View Post
Your situation is rough. I think previous posters have adequately covered your mistakes, if you want to get them out here is my suggestion. This will only work if your lease is worded properly and legal in your state.

You say they aren't complying with lease items like lawn mowing, filter changing, etc. Give them written notice to do these things, x days to comply (per your state law) after which you will hire it out and bill tenant (this is in my lease). All monies due landlord are first applied to outstanding bills, then rent (also in my lease, you could try putting this in your notice to mow lawn or whatever). Then when they don't pay your bill, their 'rent' payment is first applied to the lawn bill and they are now $xx short on rent, you post "x day pay or quit" and file for eviction for non payment of rent. If you don't have most of this in your lease it might not work, but probably about your only option unless you can catch them in some kind of illegal activity. Consult with attorney if able.

Good luck!
If we went to the home and saw that the lawn hadn't been mowed ( which has only been about twice ) or the air filter needed changing ( which was always ), we usually just gave her a verbal reminder. We've never had to send out a written notice, because she usually took care of them when we brought it to her attention. I know we have it in the Addendum to the lease that the air filter is to be changed every 3 months, but I can't remember if there was a time frame on the lawn. This last time she wasn't home, so I just reminded her through text.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Here let me help you rephrase this "My husband has a section 8 tenant that I want gone!"

"My husband has a TENANT that I want gone" Your welcome How the rent is paid for has nothing to do with how a person acts.

Also you said "I kept having to reiterate to her that my husband works and can only do repairs on his ( 2 ) days off and not when she felt he should do them. "

Not the tenants problem. If you can't get to repairs in a timely fashion you need to hire someone to do them.

I will say any physical altercation should be grounds to terminate a lease.
Yes, you're right, section 8 has nothing to do with it. But, seeing as there is a different process when dealing with section 8, than non section 8, it had to be mentioned. But, maybe not in the manner that I mentioned it though. And all repairs are done in a timely manner, usually within a couple of days to a week. I personally feel there is no need to incessantly text a person over a dripping tub faucet, when I have already scheduled a repair date with you. Evidently section 8 saw that none her complaints as dire, since none required a 24 hr. emergency repair.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
OP...you mentioned that you allowed her to pay rent late before. Don't allow late rent any longer. If it's late, don't text her or call. Instead, follow state law regarding posting '3 Day Notice to Quit' or whatever such notice (of late rent) is required in your state. Also make sure you follow Section 8 rules for posting notice for late rent. Don't wait any longer for late rent than your lease/Section 8/your state law allows for grace period.

When she's late, you wait until the grace period is over. Then post required notice. Don't text or call her. Then if she doesn't pay full rent and all date fees but the due date in the notice (usually 3 days, can vary by state)....then you get an attorney and file for eviction for Non Payment of Rent. Be ready and have discussions with an attorney ahead of time so you can get them to file eviction right away, after notice period ends.

That's how you evict her...for non payment of rent.

If she texts your about wanting to pay rent late, IGNORE her texts. She knows when rent is due per the lease, you don't respond to her. Allow her to pay rent per the lease and if she doens't do so, go forward with all steps needed to evict her.

BTW, you give too much info if you tell your tenant that your husband works 40 hrs a week. Instead, you just schedule times with them, don't tell them why you are busy.

There has been only one time when she let us know that the rent was going to be a week or 2 late. It ended up being a month late, because although we received it on the second week, she post dated it for the 1st of the next month. This was 1 or 2 months before the last lease was up, so it is irrelevant now. I will definitely no longer let he slide ( not even a day ) on the rent being late. She knows the system, because the only time we have received her rent on time, was when she filed a complaint with section 8. I can't count the times she has texted me saying she lost the P.O. address ( when the rent was already due ) or texting me after the 3rd ( and once after the 5th ) saying that the mailman didn't pick up the rent check, when it should have been mailed before the 1st. We never made an issue of it, because section 8 paid maybe 85%- 90% of the rent. There will definitely be no more responses to her texts about the rent being late.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
I think your husband and the tenant is messing around, He have a nice soft spot in his heart for her
Lol! Seeing as he's a homebody and only goes to work, church and to get the occasional hair cut, I highly doubt. And seeing as I'm usually with him when repairs are being done, really unlikely. Lol! My husband just wants to get this house paid off ( with a little less than 3 yrs. left on the mortgage ) and doesn't want to end up paying a second mortgage, while we try to find a new tenant. He had to pay 2 mortgages for about 3 months before we found a tenant and it was rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting