Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This thread is a waste of space. Can it go away now, please?
The discussions have been relevant for the most part. If you disagree then you're free to do so. If you have a problem with a thread you can of course contact a moderator with a suggestion to move it or edit it. Otherwise, just ignore it and it will fail to irritate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This thread is a waste of space. Can it go away now, please?
If you don't like a thread then skip it...others may find it informative or nice to read to add something to the discussion.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 PM

38 posts, read 96,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
A convicted felon has not much too loose since their credit history is most likely already down the drain and a repeat may be more likely than with someone who doesn't have a felony.

The chances that your house will be damaged by a non felon is slimmer than with a felon and therefore it is important to know what type of felony they committed.

The same counts for someone with a high credit score compared to a low credit score....
WOW prejudging. That is not true.. I'm speechless really. felons have bad credit lmao i think alot of you LL;'s stay somewhere in lala land and need to come back to earth

Most felon shave perfect credit since most felons been to prison so most bad stuff fall off their credit report

And so what if a felon repeat a crime, as long as he/she pays her rent why are you worried about it

Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Out of all fees, I think the application fee is the most justified. I can think of a few fees, like an amenity fee, move in fee, and utility administration fee that are pure money grabbing.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
My felony is 9 years old, even when I had a felony i had no problem staying in the suburbs at $1500-$1600 a month rent. Even with my bad credit..

So really app fees are useless. Yes the tenants run my background and credit but hey I guess that was a min factor, all they cared if I was able to pay
your a felon with bad credit and you think you have the right to judge how I run my business go get a life

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
WOW prejudging. That is not true.. I'm speechless really. felons have bad credit lmao i think alot of you LL;'s stay somewhere in lala land and need to come back to earth

Most felon shave perfect credit since most felons been to prison so most bad stuff fall off their credit report

And so what if a felon repeat a crime, as long as he/she pays her rent why are you worried about it
Lalaland....

We are talking about a group of felons looking for a rental....most of them are not the white crime ones. Most of them don't have a score or one of the worst we can expect. Most of them are full of crap and it is always expunged from their records until we run it and then their lawyer is the liar and told them it was expunged and they have no clue how it still be on there after having lied that they never were arrested since they never expected someone to run the background check but to come across another scam artist who just would take their application money...

What else.... you saying it is different is not changing the proof we have seen and making me change my mind since I go by facts in our company....

Maybe you are a felon with a 800 credit score or you know one but why would that person rent and not buy? probably because the next excuse is that the person rather rents...haha

Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:

Most felons have perfect credit? I'd like to see the documentation on that one. You're a felon and have screwed up credit so what happened to you...why don't you have 'perfect' credit? Oh, that's right because you not only have a judgment against you, you'll soon have an eviction. So much for your perfect felon credit.

Yes, after so many years 'bad stuff' falls off, but it can come back and rear it's ugly head anytime another collection agencies by your debt...your judgment will be there for years and years and your eviction ( like it or not) will affect your ability to rent in a decent area.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
OP, since you are anti background checks and anti credit reports, I suggest you become a slumlord. You can rent to all the deadbeats no credible landlord will rent to. Sure, they will trash the house, stop paying rent, like they did at their last 5 rentals (which is why credible landlords turned them down) and you'll have to spend months of your time and hundreds or even thousands of your dollars in lost rent and legal fees to evict them, followed by thousands fixing the damage they caused, but you can sue them for it. Of course, since they are deadbeats, they will just ignore you, not caring that their credit is destroyed, or else file bankruptcy so the debt goes away. Then you can move a new deadbeat in and start the process over.

As for your comment about "so what if a felon repeats a crime, as long as they can pay rent". The answer is that they don't. We just went through this. We had a tenant (with no felony record) who was arrested for spousal abuse. The wife moved out of state immediately (I don't blame her) and the husband was thrown in jail. Neither of them bothered to pay rent, or move their stuff out. Their deposit was enough to cover the rent, but not even close to covering all the expenses of evicting, removing their stuff, cleaning the house, etc. When someone goes to jail, the last thing on their mind is paying their rent.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

You're comparing a car dealer app with a tenant app.
The reason you "don't have to pay" a dealer is because when you buy something from them you take it with you when you go home. It's now your property to do as you wish. They were PAID in full by the bank. If I sold you a house for 250,000 I'll gladly pay the background check.
When you rent, the LL does a risk assessment on you. Since he has multiple people who want to rent and most will either flake or screw around why should they incur the costs ?
And if you think the deaker is not slipping that app fee on the price you're the exact guy they want for a customer. A smart customer would walk in with their own financing already set in place
This difference that you are harping on is not relevant. The question could be rephrased to why doesn't the lender charge an app fee. The "risk" factor you are talking about is not relevant. The lender still pays money to run credit and does not charge the potential customer. Your explanation here does not make any sense.
The reason why landlord charge app fees and car loan lenders don't is simple. Tenant's will pay app fees and car buyers won't. I'm not sure what motivation in attributing some convoluted explanation to give some kind of moral justification to this. There is none, landlords charge app fees cause tenant's will pay them and they'll have more money. Nothing wrong with that but let's just call a spade a spade.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Because, if they repeat the crime and get caught, how are they going to get paid and pay rent from jail?
Assuming they make bail, they may not be employed for long regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting