Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

I usually ask about 45 days before the end and I only do it as a reminder that the last 30 day notice has to be given. Of If I didn't you would get a registered letter with a 30 day notice to vacate. And I ask at 45 day because I need to know what I have to do to prelim walk through then final walk through then expedite repairs and send back security deposit or remainder of deposit etc. But. I would never demand someone to magpie a decision when thrive not even 1/2 way through lease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I usually ask about 45 days before the end and I only do it as a reminder that the last 30 day notice has to be given. Of If I didn't you would get a registered letter with a 30 day notice to vacate. And I ask at 45 day because I need to know what I have to do to prelim walk through then final walk through then expedite repairs and send back security deposit or remainder of deposit etc. But. I would never demand someone to magpie a decision when thrive not even 1/2 way through lease
LOL, sorry, but you must be using your auto-correct device...

I hate when people demand that I magpie my decisions in order to thrive...LMAO...sorry, long day!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, sorry, but you must be using your auto-correct device...

I hate when people demand that I magpie my decisions in order to thrive...LMAO...sorry, long day!

Caveman size fingers, I pad and autocorrect make for bad grammar. Glad I made your day NMSFM

The actual sentence was " But I would never make a demand from someone to make a decision when they're not even 1/2 way through their lease"

Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 57,243 times
I hadn't thought of bonuses as a reason but that makes sense. They clearly do not care about much beyond the money. You would think it would benefit the PM to keep renting to the same person year after year as long as they pay on time (me!) and keep the place in good condition (me!) but their turn over is such that I moved in LESS than 24 hours after the prior person vacated. They do NOTHING in between renters. It's such a crappy company but I can't find anything else in this area. Anyway, enough of this whining.

I think I'll renew as long as they are willing to make some changes to the lease, one of which will be a 90 day renewal time frame for next year. Of course, they might just flat out refuse to rent to me again because I'm being a pain. UGH!

Many thanks for all the feedback-I very much appreciate it!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincat2 View Post
I hadn't thought of bonuses as a reason but that makes sense. They clearly do not care about much beyond the money. You would think it would benefit the PM to keep renting to the same person year after year as long as they pay on time (me!) and keep the place in good condition (me!) but their turn over is such that I moved in LESS than 24 hours after the prior person vacated. They do NOTHING in between renters. It's such a crappy company but I can't find anything else in this area. Anyway, enough of this whining.

I think I'll renew as long as they are willing to make some changes to the lease, one of which will be a 90 day renewal time frame for next year. Of course, they might just flat out refuse to rent to me again because I'm being a pain. UGH!

Many thanks for all the feedback-I very much appreciate it!
Keep in mind there is no guarantee of renewal from one year to the next, so I don't see how they would specify that you would get a renewal 90 days before the NEXT lease period. Unless they specify in the lease that IF a renewal occurs that nobody would advertise it/show it until no more than 90 days before lease expiration.

Keep in mind if they advertise it now and someone else decides to lease the place for August, then you'll have to move and they won't allow you to sign a new lease because the place will already be taken by someone else.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincat2 View Post
ShaneSA-

Should but doesn't! I definitely have learned of more things that I will insist be in my next lease, regardless of who the lease is with! And I say this even though I was a landlord for 17 years!!! Just the standard 30 day notice stuff in my lease but nothing that addressing this specific problem nor anything about *when* to show the place. Although there is the standard line about enjoying my place without harassment.

Even though I feel as if they are bullying me, I fear it might be legit since there are so many college students in our small peninsula. I wonder if the time frame is legit for a college town?

Many thanks for the feedback!!
I think that the college town likely has something to do with it. I know my landlord in college would show his houses in October for leases starting in August, and have 90% of them leased for the next year by then. Come spring, he would have one or two where the arrangements fell apart for one reason or another, but he had time to make other arrangements.

At 90 days before the lease termination, kids would be preparing to leave and studying for finals. at 60 they were home for summer.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's very industry standard for college rentals to be reserved far in advance. College students have their residence for the fall reserved the winter before. That's just the way it works.

If that is a college town, OP, your landlord is lining up his fall students. If you don't want the unit in the fall, now is the time when he finds the tenant who does want it in the fall.

Tell him you don't know whether you want it or not. He will then arrange for a new tenant and give you notice to vacate at the proper time. The landlord is not going to wait until fall to find out whether he needs a new tenant or not, when all the fall college tenants have already found a place and none are available to be his tenant.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 57,243 times
Oh boy, they gave me 4 extra days to decide! -insert heavy sarcasm-

"We can give you until February 28th to decide but as of March 1st we'll have to start scheduling showings. If you'd like to renew we can draw up the renewal for you to sign. We have pushed the deadline as far as possible and we have an obligation to the owner to get it re-rented for the next lease term."

Old 12-15-2020, 06:59 AM
NCP

1 posts, read 479 times
My son's lease does not end until July 31, 2021. The landlord is asking us to commit to another year by signing a 2021-2022 lease by today and send a nonrefundable 1st month's rent as well. The lease says that we give a 90 day notice. Is it legal for the landlord to show the apartment if we do not commit (at this ridiculously early request)? He does intend to stay, but is annoyed by this early commitment and request for the 1st month rent (which would begin his 3rd year as a novel tenant).

Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 AM

862 posts, read 439,953 times
Things like this are only going to get worse as fewer and fewer rentals will be on the market at all. With the government failing to enforce the only recourse landlords have (eviction due to non-payment) to mitigate their losses and risk- fewer and fewer people will chose to be landlords.

Failing to protect those who provide housing to others was a huge mistake and will come with ramifications for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting