Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:57 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times

Advertisements

I put in my ad the address and cost, details and that it is 'available' as long as the ad is up yet I still get..

Quote:
I’m very interested in your ** is it still available and where is it located at?
Quote:
Can you tell me a little a about it !
ahh... grr!!!!

Anybody have some ideas about how to effectively advertise on cg.. or how to avoid such stupid responses..?

When I was the customer *cough* renter.. I know there was always one question on my mind.. "is it still available?"

(I've considered updating my ad on a daily basis with a statement that says "available as of 2/23/2014")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
I put in my ad the address and cost, details and that it is 'available' as long as the ad is up yet I still get..

ahh... grr!!!!

Anybody have some ideas about how to effectively advertise on cg.. or how to avoid such stupid responses..?

When I was the customer *cough* renter.. I know there was always one question on my mind.. "is it still available?"

(I've considered updating my ad on a daily basis with a statement that says "available as of 2/23/2014")
Some people just don't read all the details & it won't matter what you do!

I used to sell "stuff" on eBay, I could list EVERYTHING about an object and I'd still get asked for info that was in the "ad".

I understand how annoying it can be, trust me!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Lol Today I just had a person call on a available rental.
She just asked about the price. Then thanks and click. Fairly rude
I seriously don't think people actually read ads. They look at pictures maybe. I have had numerous people call and ask over and over if I would take pets or ask about things The ad states no pets. I was willing to change it to will consider small under 25 pound dog since so many people who called had pets. I'm still kicking it around.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
A fact of any sales is putting up with idiots. Doesn't matter if you are selling shoes, bridges, leases on property or missiles.....

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,967 times
Most of those are spam emails that are an attempt to get your real email address so they can sell it. Don't reply to those kind of emails. They are usually very vague and won't name what you're selling, because they are blasting thousands of these out to every post made on CL.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Oh yeah. Lots of phone calls asking how many bedrooms, how much the rent is, if there is a washer/ dryer, all things carefully stated in the ad.

Always applicants showing up smoking or with their pitbull, even though the ad says neither is allowed.

Always at least a half dozen Section 8 tenants, even though the ad says that the house isn't approved for Section 8. Those are particularly annoying because they want to spend a lot of time looking and trying to charm me, before they spring the Section 8 question on me. A big waste of both my time and theirs.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
"Think about how dumb the average person is, then realize that at least 50% of the population is even dumber".
You can't fix stupid. No matter what you put in the ad, they will still come at you with the same questions.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
The questions can be asked for a few reasons:

1. Verify it's still available. Despite you saying it is if the ad is up, I've found many that say this forget to close ads when the deal is done.

2. I send out feelers via email to weed out scams. It's pretty easy to tell by the responses you get.

3. They are not that bright.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Stop advertising on CL and you'll eliminate a huge portion of your 'stupid responses'.

You have to remember, the people trolling on CL are the same yahoos who advertise their car for sale and end up sending 1K to the 'buyer' helping them pay for 'transport' of said vehicle. And these same yahoos go on the evening news crying victim,..yeah, their victims alright..of their own stupidity!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM

218 posts, read 775,404 times
I won't be doing CL again - complete waste of time for me. And I posted pictures. People are lazy. I started saying - did you READ the description??

Someone once posted a list of questions to ask to weed out the lookie-loos from the serious ones - I'm sorry, can't remember who. Maybe do a search for "questions to ask tenants"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting