Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM

218 posts, read 775,475 times

Advertisements

Want to run something by LL's please.

I lease out my old condo. There is an issue with an electrical outlet in a specific area of this condo. It is just ONE outlet and the rest are working fine. Tenant uses all outlets in house like expected.

Well, this outlet is dead. In order to fix it there needs to be extensive electrical work as well as walls knocked out and then I would need drywall guy and then paint and so on. So quite expensive for this one outlet as well as a lot of work.

Am I being unreasonable thinking that tenant can just use a power strip? I don't want to do all this work while tenant is still in the house as well as having to pay who knows what to get this one electrical part re-routed.

Thoughts?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
How many outlets are in the room with the one dead outlet? And which room is it?

If it was let's say in the bathroom and this was the only outlet, it would be a hassle. But easy enough to do the repair/drywall and paint as it's all enclosed in one small room. It will be at most 2 day hassle for the tenant.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Where is it, kitchen bath living room? How close is the nearest outlet? Are you sure it needs to be desired?

The way they wire things its a chain of outlets and as such if one is out due to wiring then the ones after it are also out. It could be a bad outlet that just needs replacing and that's very inexpensive. I wouldn't do that kind of work with a tenant in but I also wouldn't expect them to run an extension cord halfway across a room if its something like a built in entertainment outlet.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:07 PM

One outlet in kitchen. There are several in the kitchen - and even one right next to it. They have something plugged into every outlet. They claim they need it for one of their contraptions.

Bathroom would be no worries since it is just one place - but it's in the kitchen. I won't get an actual quote until Wednesday but just want to see what would be a reasonable option in case it's too expensive/destroy the house kind of thing.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
One outlet in kitchen. There are several in the kitchen - and even one right next to it. They have something plugged into every outlet. They claim they need it for one of their contraptions.

Bathroom would be no worries since it is just one place - but it's in the kitchen. I won't get an actual quote until Wednesday but just want to see what would be a reasonable option in case it's too expensive/destroy the house kind of thing.

Oh heck no. As a tenant, I wouldn't want to deal with all that construction for one outlet.

Another option is to wire the other working outlet as a 4 plugs outlet instead of 2. Might be a lot cheaper and it should appease them.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:27 PM

Okay thanks - that's an option.

Actually on another note - and this should prob be another thread - but of all the forums I belong to, this is by far the most helpful. Any time someone posts - you guys are on it! I lurk a lot - and I always see the posts answered immediately.

Anyway, just want to say thanks.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post

Power strip in a kitchen? Possibly running over the sink or the stove? Seems unreasonable (and unsafe) to me.

How do you know what the solution to this dead outlet is? Has an electrician confirmed that there are no safety issues present?

Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM

No, nowhere near a sink and it would not run over the stove. The power strip would be right by a cabinet - near a countertop. (if that makes sense). No safety issue. Just electrician needs to find where this outlet runs to so that he can "connect"? I'm getting a 2nd guy to go over and help figure this out.

I got worst case and best case scenarios from him. Just getting prepared for worst case (re-wiring).

Old 06-29-2015, 03:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
toopie....You are on it, so I cannot see why the renter can't just use the other outlet until you have this figured out.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Yeh, hope so. Will follow up with results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting