Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Ok, well looks like I am covered as much as I can be for CA.

Couple of things though - how do you determine that tenant caused clogs? I had an issue in which the drain was clogged - hair (yuk). Anyway, took care of it BUT I do think it was due to the current tenant since the daughter has long hair and I KNOW they do not use one of those drain thingys.

Another thing - regarding my last tenant - after 6 months, all of a sudden there were ants. There has never been ants in all the years I lived there so I also know that it's due to tenant since she had a dog and he and ants loved his doggie biscuits. But then I paid for pest control (she was a great tenant and I didn't mind). But for the future - how can you determine that tenant caused it?
You can't, unless you see the ants swarming to something specifically left by the tenant. And I don't understand how doggy biscuits are any different than a box of cheese-its or cereal? I mean, if she's messy, then you can guess that she is the reason that there are ants. The ants could be a result of her housekeeping, but they could just be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 03:12 PM

218 posts, read 775,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There are lots of things which happen that you can't lump onto the tenant. Obviously something like a kid's toy sucked out of the plumbing when the tenant has toddlers is pretty obvious but if a tenant's long hair is clogging up a drain because there's no "drain thingy" then install a "drain thingy"! Ants come and go depending on where you live and if you live somewhere where you have critters then have an exterminator come over on a regular basis to treat the property. It's all part of landlording and general maintenance.
Ok, that makes sense. When I was a tenant, the other apt clogged the toilet - kids toy. We all got a letter telling us that we would be responsible for any clogs (this was about 15 yrs ago).

The drain thingy is provided when tenants go into the house. It can be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You can't, unless you see the ants swarming to something specifically left by the tenant. And I don't understand how doggy biscuits are any different than a box of cheese-its or cereal? I mean, if she's messy, then you can guess that she is the reason that there are ants. The ants could be a result of her housekeeping, but they could just be there.
Well, as I said she was a great tenant - loved her and she was very, very messy. She actually mentioned it was due to her dog since she left his food by the back patio. Again, at the time I did not mind so paid to have it sprayed.

Anyway, good to know.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
You really should have your lease tailored by a lawyer specifically for you, your localities and your properties.

Outside of that, one thing I never see mentioned is to add a line that says that "in the event that a clause in this lease is found to not be enforceable, the same shall not apply to the entirety of the lease".

Even if its overkill, it never hurts to have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting