Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNoGMO View Post
I agree. I didn't realize how fraudulent people are. But how would a property management handled it differently? Executed lease by person that doesn't intend to occupy premises......

Yes they are. This is one of the reasons why I have one rental sitting vacant for 30 days. Because nobody applying so far can actually meet some basic standards. I had one guy today who told me he had a 500 score likes to pay cash and his GF has a eviction and 550 score. He sounded like a nice guy on the phone but that means squat. Sorry not interested. I rather keep it vacant than to just get a breathing body. I hope he finds a residence.
If you plan on being a LL you need to shape up. Learn the laws and just word of advice. EVERYONE who is over 18 and resides there gets a background check done and is on the lease as a occupant or lease signer. Set standards for tenancy also. Read up and learn bro or you're gonna get smoked someday. If you don't know or want to know either get a lawyer, a PMC, join a LL association or get out of being a LL. Good luck

I learned because I didn't want to get screwed. I'm still learning to this day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Meet the actual tenants before they sign the lease and ask to see their Drivers License. Else they might be imposters.

You almost had a fake tenant that didn't even know his brother was using his ID to rent a place.

Didn't it raise a red flag that you only dealt with the "occupant" and not the tenant that was signing the lease? If this didn't raise a red flag, then it's likely that you don't have the necessary screening skills to be a landlord. A property manager wouldn't have allowed this. He's not going to sue you. Just don't text him or his brother and don't talk to them on the phone. AT ALL. Not even for 1 minute. When someone threatens to sue you, it's time to stop all communication. Period. But he won't. He's just mad because he plan fell through and he knows it's going to be hard to pull of this plan again because most landlords will weed him out.

And then you signed the lease without having any funds. And didn't do background check and credit check on all persons 18 and up living there.

Here's the deal...the guy was a crook. He wasn't a tenant and was using his brother's ID to rent the place. But you fell for it. You are lucky that you got out of this at the last minute.

But it might be wise to hire a property manager to avoid another potential disaster. People lie and say they don't have pets (when they have them), or they tell you their dog is a beagle when it's really a pit bull, or they bring in extra tenants that aren't on the lease. And they pay rent late and give all kinds of sob stories to delay you weeks and weeks by promising that they will get their tax refund in a week and pay you. Then when that week passes they say it was delayed and will arrive in 1 more week. Then when that day comes and goes they say their car broke and they had to use the money to fix the car...and before you know it 2 months pass with no rent and you realize you are being played.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM

38 posts, read 61,478 times
Indeed, I have learned this very tough lesson. I have learned several in fact. I actually just found someone else that the brother of the tenant contacted just today and is running the same scam on. Same exact stories and lies. This other LL is in the same boat as me now.
Several new policies in place for me but I am considering property management now. This was madness. Thank you all for the input. It is much appreciated. Lesson learned.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
OP, I think you did GREAT in stopping the madness in time. Good for you! You gave him back his money and said no way are you getting the keys. Perfect!

As far as the guy suing you, just wait and see if he does. Then you can get legal help.

If you do go to court, all you have to say is that they didn't meet terms. The money wasn't paid in full on move-in day, and they didn't get a renter's policy. You really don't need to go into anything else. Short and sweet.

As far as getting a manager - YIKES! I get so frustrated on this forum when everybody tells the new LL that he has to get a manager. For goodness sakes - were none of you ever new landlords? Were all property managers born with experience? Plus, there are plenty of bad managers out there who will not do good screening, in order to just get the place rented. In fact, many of them make MORE money, the more problems there are. So, there is no guarantee that you won't have problems if you hire a PMC. And they could end up costing you an arm and a leg by doing all kinds of maintenance and charging you up the ying yang for it, and having their guy do the expensive unnecessary work. Been there.

Managing a rental is not rocket science. Screening is super important - the most important thing. You can pay a company to do extensive checks for you, if you feel insecure about doing them yourself yet. For instance, in CA this is the company I used. I only got the eviction and credit reports, as I was good at doing other checks. But, they offer a full service, including verifying previous landlords:

https://www.cbacredit.com/tenant_screening.html

They may only work in CA, but you can call and ask, and ask for a referral for FL.

Now to educate yourself, I suggest the Nolo books written by lawyers, but in layman's terms. They also include forms, contracts, etc., on CD or on e-book form:

Nolo's Landlord Bundle - Nolo

This page shows what they have specific to FL, plus some great articles on landlording in FL:

florida landlord - Lawyers, Articles and Q&A - Nolo.com

I don't see why you can't do this. For now, pay a screening service, and then learn the law. Get the Nolo FL lease form from the above link, and I highly recommend getting their landlord bundle, too, which includes how to find great tenants, etc., etc.

Again, congrats on putting the brakes on the situation in time. Getting him out of the unit would have been much harder and more expensive - even if this guy does sue you, which I REALLY doubt.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
As far as getting a manager - YIKES! I get so frustrated on this forum when everybody tells the new LL that he has to get a manager. For goodness sakes - were none of you ever new landlords? Were all property managers born with experience? Plus, there are plenty of bad managers out there who will not do good screening, in order to just get the place rented. In fact, many of them make MORE money, the more problems there are. So, there is no guarantee that you won't have problems if you hire a PMC. And they could end up costing you an arm and a leg by doing all kinds of maintenance and charging you up the ying yang for it, and having their guy do the expensive unnecessary work. Been there.
With all due respect, you have "been there" once and once only with a less than desirable property manager who took care of your daughter's home.

There are good and capable landlords and there are slumlords; there are excellent tenants and there are the tenants from Hades. As in doing one's best to find the right tenant, the right landlord and the right property manager or any contractor you do your research and background checks to hopefully find the right one.

Hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world successfully and happily use property managers.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I haven't read all the postings. Tell them that they need to discontinue the threats immediately or you will need to contact the probation department to advise them of your concerns because a parolee is getting you very alarmed by harassing you....

Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNoGMO View Post
Indeed, I have learned this very tough lesson. I have learned several in fact. I actually just found someone else that the brother of the tenant contacted just today and is running the same scam on. Same exact stories and lies. This other LL is in the same boat as me now.
It might be worth while for you and this other landlord to get an appointment to speak to the federal prosecutor. This is over state lines, correct? Maybe he would like to look into it. Maybe not, but it might be worth a couple of hours of your time to look into the possibility.

If nothing else, it might be possible to get a note added to this fellow's criminal record that he is running this scam. No telling who that note might aid in the future.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
No full payment...no keys!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM

38 posts, read 61,478 times
I will be calling his probation officer to let her know that this man is not residing at my residence. Not sure if I'm going to disclose his scam to her or just let it go. I don't want to anger this fruit loop anymore. I already cost him a house yesterday and if I keep pushing I will definitely be stirring up a hornets nest. He is angry and homeless.
I also called the postal inspector and put an alert on my address to not allow a change of address for any new resident unless I approve it.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Definitely let the PO know you have some concerns about the way he handled this situation. I think it is the right thing to do at a minimum.

In the future, use a screening service AND learn to do your own screening and compare the results. You might find stuff the service misses or additional information that could clarify an issue.

Join a Landlord/Apartment association in your area. Attend the classes and read, read, read the state laws. Learn them. It will take time but you will be properly prepared if a situation like this comes up again. Read horror stories about evictions and complaints and get a little glimpse into what you may see somewhere down the road.

Get a proper application for prospective tenants. Set criteria and stick to it. Don't waiver on anything. Learn to read applicants. If they're late to see the house and don't bother to call, a lot of times they'll be late with rent.

And the most important thing of all, don't take anything personal. It's hard to avoid, especially at first, but it will help tremendously. Don't get angry and say things that will get you in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting