Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times

Advertisements

This time I have a positive story that I wanted to share.

One of the tenants of the places we manage told us last month that he misplaced the social security check. He was going to apply for a new one and therefore the rent would be a few days late.
Later the story changed a little bit but after we demanded proof from social security about a new check being applied for we got a letter proving it.

When the deadline expired and still no payment we got all kind of info that was worrisome to us and we asked for more proof since it was already Feb. 23 and still no penny and if it wasn't for the owner we had to file for eviction since we treat all tenants equal and it is up to the owners when to file. Of course we had posted a 3 day notice.

Last week I had informed the tenant we needed more proof that payment would be sufficient since a new rent was due this week and we found out the water was cut off for non payment!

We got a letter stating less than one month rent would come in and we told he tenant who is very sick with stage 4 cancer that even though we are sympathetic with what he going through we have to do our job and the owner has to pay bills too.

According to the tenant due to ACA many of his cancer medication went up from $6 to $84 for 4 pills and he has to pay that out of pocket.

To say the least the situation looked very dire and sad for the tenant and we gave him a deadline of last Thursday to proof that the new check would cover both month rent as he stated and he delivered!

We promised to wait with filing the eviction if he wouldn't bring in the money as promised by yesterday and this tenant left me the nicest voice mail last Thursday...he thanked me for believing in him and granting him the extra days and he slept better than ever in the last weeks since I felt compassion by stating we could help him to get a cheaper affordable rental than this pool home but he declined by stating he loves the home and he will be able to turn the water back on and pay the rent and pay back the person he borrowed money from to pay to keep the power on.

He sounded so sincere and stated that he is aware that tenants often lie but he again in his voice mail promised to keep his word and long and behold he was at our office yesterday when we opened with all the money.

He still owes some late fees but paid a part and we granted him to pay the remainder later since the full rent has been paid.

This person is very very sick and his wife is one of the most unpleasant person you can deal with and he apologized many times over for her cursing in the past due to stress so this very sick person has to handle everything since his wife is having a breakdown for the last 2 years now...

I have to give a big shoutout to this cancer patient who showed we can trust some tenants when they give their word and it is nice it all worked out and we hope he will get a little bit better since he is only in his forties. So say a prayer for him.

Of course without the owner able and willing to wait for the rent we could honor this and not every owner is willing to wait and most tenants have proven not being worth to grant the extra days because this tenant is very rare...most will delay and take advantage but this one proved we all did the right thing and it feels good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Hate to tell you this BUT since March 2013 ALL SS checks have been going Direct Deposit! So there are No Checks to get lost!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
You are more generous than I am. My crystal ball says that you are in for a lot more late payments in the future.

But then, they would have been out long ago if the wife cursed at me.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Sometimes it's hard to separate business from compassion. I hope it works out for you but fear this may be the beginning of many missed payments. Once you get behind, it's hard to catch up. And that's when they are healthy.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hate to tell you this BUT since March 2013 ALL SS checks have been going Direct Deposit! So there are No Checks to get lost!
I was thinking that the tenant should switch to direct deposit, too. I didn't know it was required now, but I wondered what if the tenant just didn't get around to filling out the direct deposit paperwork? This article says they would continue to get a paper check, but the SSA would ramp up pressure to get them to switch:

No more paper Social Security checks come March - Jan. 9, 2013

Bentlebee, I'm glad this worked out. It would be hard to evict someone so sick, even though you'd have to.

I know you're not a social worker, but there are lots of programs out there to help people pay their electric bills, and more. The utility company often has them, and Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul can help. They can call the local 211 office to get info.

2-1-1 Call Center Search

Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:

This is not true. It was REQUIRED to provide DD information but, surprise, many did not and paper checks are still being issued.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM

SS & IRS told me No Direct Deposit by March 2013 No Checks! I had to get How Do I Sign Up to Receive an Electronic Payment?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
This is not true. It was REQUIRED to provide DD information but, surprise, many did not and paper checks are still being issued.
Those who couldn't for some reason receive their payments electronically (i.e. no bank account) had the option of receiving their check on a prepaid debit card or Direct Express Debit MasterCard card. But the cut-off date (a year's notice was given) was March 1, 2013. I believe the only people who were finally allowed to apply for a special waiver were senior citizens living in remote areas without easy access to electronic facilities. Maybe this tenant is one of those.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
SS & IRS told me No Direct Deposit by March 2013 No Checks! I had to get How Do I Sign Up to Receive an Electronic Payment?
Well, they successfully bullied you into complying. Well, it's more convenient anyway, don't you think? I love it.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM

NMSnow---NO Its a Pain in the A$$ to go get the money off the card in nasty weather fight the stupid door at the bank Having my ears ring for 3-5 days cause a teller refused to turn off the buzzer when they let me in! & Yesterday I was trap til 3:30 pm by the snow & Ice Finally they clean the sidewalk so I rush to the bank on my scooter to go thru the Hell of getting in the door just to have to go out side in 5 Degree weather to use the card outside to get only Half my money! Because the system was down! So gee I have to go thru it all over again to get the rest tomarrow to Finish paying the bills I didn't get paid today! With a paper check it came I signed it my son did all this! Brought me the cash bills got paid I was ZERO Stressed I didn't get to go thru the Pain of hurting ears. I didn't get soaked or snowed on or frozen Didn't get colds flu ect. So far its bee great painful year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting