Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,871 times

Advertisements

As I've seen many eviction-related questions on this forum, along with well-thought answers, I thought I would expose my dilemma here.

Three months ago (the beginning of this month marks the fourth one) we moved into a 3 bedroom house, located to the back of a property, with another 2 bedroom house in the front (this is all in the city of Los Angeles, CA, near LAX). We liked the house the minute we saw it: very spacious, and in a quiet neighborhood.
A little background: The owner, who seemed like a very nice person from the beginning, owns the property, and used to live in this very house with his family, prior to renting it out. It seems we're the first tenants he's had since he moved out, as his brother, along with other people, live in the front house.

Now, ever since we moved in, we have paid the rent on time, as well as the deposit. Last month, around the first week of November, there was a small argument that took place. We had asked the owner in October if we could bring a washer and a dryer, and install them outside, in the backyard for the meantime, under a little roof next to the house. He didn't object at all. He even suggested to us a few ways to connect the washer and dryer. So, about two weeks later, we bought the washer/dryer, and installed them. We used them a total of two times; we only wanted them for washing little things, not to wash the whole week's load of laundry.
The owner then came the first week of November, and without saying anything to us, he cut off the handles to a tap (water valve) that was outside, in the back, on the edges of the house; then he put a top on it, all this so we wouldn't be able to use said water valve. And again, without ever saying a word of what he was doing. When we noticed this, we called him. Since he was still in the premises, he came to the backdoor, and we asked him why he hadn't at least told us he was going to do that. In a quite altered (i.e. upset) voice, he said that he was the owner, and pretty much, that he could do anything he wanted to the property, that he didn't need anyone's permission. While we agreed, we told him that he should've at least had the courtesy to tell us about it. Then he said he was really cutting the tap because he didn't allow washers/dryers, and that because we had been using excessive water outside (not true). After that, his wife got involved in the argument. When we told him that he had told us we could bring the washer/dryer, he denied it. All I said was that that sort of hostility wasn't necessary; all he needed to do was tell us he didn't want the washer/dryer there, and we could've taken them out; we like to abide the rules, and the last thing we want is to have problems or arguments with anyone. After a while, he admitted his wrong doing, and said he would open the tap once more. We told him we'll respect his rules, and take the washer/dryer out.
Within that week, he sent a plumber to reinstall the outdoor valve.

This was the end of that argument. We didn't hear from the owner until today, when, very calmly, he brought a typed-up letter in which he states that he's going through a financial situation, and that he has decided to move back in with his family into the house we're currently renting. The letter doesn't say anything about eviction; it just says that he's moving back in on March 1st, 2008. He wanted us to sign it, saying we agree with this. However, the person who received the letter from the owner didn't sign it, and just told the owner we would have it ready sometime during the week; at the same time, we gave him the check for this month's rent.
Now, besides that incident in November, we haven't had any altercations, complaints or warnings from the owner or anyone.
While we may understand what the owner is going through, and side with him, we don't know if this is some sort of retaliation. We believe it's unfair since we haven't done anything that could call for an eviction. The last thing we want to do is spend the time, money and resources on relocating once more.

My question to the forum is: Can we do anything about this? Court, or relocation costs?
I've read online a little about tenant's rights, but I'm no expert on the matter. I've thought about contacting non-profit organizations in the area who specialize in the matter, for some advice. I thought I would search information online first, however.

I welcome any advice, and I apologize beforehand if what I have written is a bit too much.
Just one last thing: for the record, the last place we lived in, we lived there for 13 years (we moved out because we desired a bigger place).

Thank you very much for your attention.

~~

Last edited by CiceroCaesar; 12-04-2007 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
Did you sign a lease or is this a month to month rental?? Makes a difference if you signed a year lease vs month to month.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,871 times
It's month-to-month.
I've been reading up on tenant's rights since I posted this, and I've found out that the City of Los Angeles is under Rent Control, which states that a tenant can only be evicted because of one of twelve reasons. It also talks about exactly what we're going through: if the landlord wishes to evict a tenant so that he/she or family members can move into the house, then the landlord pays for tenant's relocation costs. That's how I've read it, but since I've never dealt with this matter, I am not sure if it truly applies to my case.
In any case, I think I will go ahead and contact a non-profit organization I've found, which provides lawyer consultation, just to be sure.
We are saddened about having to go through this; we wish we didn't have to try to make a fuss out of it. Nonetheless, having just moved into this place 3 months ago, we cannot pay to move once more (i.e. pay new deposits, pay for utilities to be moved, etc).

Thank you.

~~

Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Years ago we rented a house on a one year lease in Mercer Island, WA. The landlord was an ok guy---we paid the rent, he collected it and I can't remember if we had any dealings with him beyond that, except for a little back-and-forth compromising about replacing a rug that was in really bad shape (he never did do it).

Towards the end of the lease period, we purchased a house and set closing/moving to coincide with the end of the lease. We gave him 60 days notice. He responded by telling us we had to be out in 30 because he was moving back into the house with his family.

It turned out we were able to move our close up 25 days and we just told him tough luck on the extra 5. He never did do anything. But I know for a fact that he didn't move his family back in there but he moved some relatives in there. I wonder, if we had not purchased a house and wanted to renew the lease, if we would have had a court case on our hands!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
I wouldn't sign nor agree to it, you have a binding contract for one year. And really this isn't a formal eviction notice either. As you are doing I would make that contact and find out your standing on this, but don't sign anything agreeing to move out early. I would hold firm and just keep paying the rent on time until you know exactly what recourse you have.

I know moving is tough, but hopefully everything will work out to your advantage.
Best Wishes to you !!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
In all seriousness... does the owner have dementia? I say this because it doesn't sound normal after giving you permission for a washer to damage his own property by cutting off the handles...

I would try to speak with the wife in private... she seems rational. If the owner is really having financial trouble or acting irrationally, then I don't think I would want to subject my family to him any longer than necessary.

Do check the Rent Control ordinance for you community. The owner may very well have to pay relocation fees and not even know it.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
You're doing the right thing. I don't know the law, but I suspect he cannot ask you to move out again so quickly--if at all. Don't sign anything and consult with an agency. Keep us posted with what happens.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
The owner sounds passive aggressive. Don't speak to him again, but put everything in writing from now on. Document everything, because it's clear you can't trust this person to say what he means. Talk to your local housing authority to find out what your rights are. The landlord may be responsible to pay the moving expenses and relocations fees.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would try to speak with the wife in private... she seems rational.
No, don't talk to either of them. Be friendly, smile, but keep a distance from here on out. Don't argue, stay professional, but firm and put it in writing.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Do you really think it is necessary to circle the wagons and go into bunker mentality at this stage?

I believe in negotiating from a position of strength. Know your rights and give the other person the opportunity to do the right thing first.

Why alienate the wife... she could be your best ally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting