Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM

39 posts, read 82,632 times

Advertisements

I have not been the perfect tenant in some of my past rentals. I didn't damage property but I have fallen behind on rent before (sucked for both me and the landlord) and as a result I was evicted. It was my own fault to begin with. The second one not so much.
The second eviction came after the person who owned the property sold it while I was living there. They were fine with me for a while but then they started in with the harassment thus forcing me to force them to evict me. The property manager told me I had to move in october 2011. I started looking for a new place and I was having trouble finding a place I could afford (yikes) The property manager came back in Nov. 2011 and told me I could stay if I paid a higher rent beginning Dec. 1st. the amount they wanted to raise it was still affordable to me so I agreed. The property manager came back again on Nov. 31st telling me I had to move. I told her she was too wishy washy and I was sick of the back and forth crap so if she wanted me out she had to evict. She did evict. I was on a month to month lease at that time too.

Moving is a pain anyway but with evictions on your record it's even more difficult. Most landlords do not give me the opportunity to explain what happened but if I put myself in the landlord's shoes I can understand why. (they've probably heard every excuse/reason from A to Z)

So for landlords out there I actually need some advice. I know it's always better to be upfront and honest with a perspective landlord and I understand that honesty does not guarantee they will rent to me. Any helpful advice would be appreciated as my current lease is expiring and my current property manager (another sale after I moved in) is not renewing any leases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searching for rental View Post
I have fallen behind on rent before ...and as a result I was evicted.
It was my own fault...

...then they started in with the harassment thus forcing me to force them to evict me.
I was on a month to month... She did evict.
This second one was your fault too.

Quote:
So for landlords out there I actually need some advice.
Find a new place before the SHTF with the current one (again).
"They're selling the property, it's spring now and I'm ready to change my scenery"

Your most recent on time pay history and steady current employment is still what matters most.
That and having the SD and 1st months rent READY without drama.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM

I have 10 months or so of rent receipts verifying that I pay on time, I am a 1099 employee so technically self employed but I have a statement of employment from the company I work with and I have been with them for a year and intend to stick with them. I also have cash to hand over for rent/deposit with no drama, no excuses, no BS of any kind. I'm really interested in settling into a new place and not giving the new landlord any drama what so ever. also thank you for your reply.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Excluding real life tragedies, moving is one of the worst things in the world.

SO file this one in the "duh" file.

IMHO, your best bet is to find a situation with someone you know, then set up a legal contract.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Excluding real life tragedies, moving is one of the worst things in the world.

SO file this one in the "duh" file.

IMHO, your best bet is to find a situation with someone you know, then set up a legal contract.
the "duh" file = yep! totally agree just kinda stating the obvious and venting frustration lol. I like your idea though I'll see if anyone I know is up to trying it.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I'm a little confused. Were you evicted or simply left these two places? It sounds the latter. Eviction is a legal process which goes through the courts where a judgment is made against you and your record is there for any prospective landlord to see - making it very difficult to find someone to accept you and particularly with two of them.

Unless you really were evicted then you're using entirely the wrong term and no wonder landlords don't want to talk to you after hearing it.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm a little confused. Were you evicted or simply left these two places? It sounds the latter. Eviction is a legal process which goes through the courts where a judgment is made against you and your record is there for any prospective landlord to see - making it very difficult to find someone to accept you and particularly with two of them.

Unless you really were evicted then you're using entirely the wrong term and no wonder landlords don't want to talk to you after hearing it.
I was evicted both times. The first time I fell behind in rent and honestly believe I deserved that one. The second time I was not behind on rent but when the place was sold the property manager eventually decideded I had to move and then kept going back and forth about weather or not I could stay or had to move. It was causing me a ton of stress so I told her if she wanted me out she had to evict. Rent was paid. She had a right not to renew my lease that was fine. My issue was her not being able to make up her mind and that is why I made her evict me.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searching for rental View Post
I was evicted both times. The first time I fell behind in rent and honestly believe I deserved that one. The second time I was not behind on rent but when the place was sold the property manager eventually decideded I had to move and then kept going back and forth about weather or not I could stay or had to move. It was causing me a ton of stress so I told her if she wanted me out she had to evict. Rent was paid. She had a right not to renew my lease that was fine. My issue was her not being able to make up her mind and that is why I made her evict me.
So on both occasions you were served with a summons, were given a court date, either appeared in court where a judge ruled for the LL or didn't appear and the LL prevailed by default? No need to repeat what happened in both cases as that was clear in your first post. It's the "evictions" I remain unclear about.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So on both occasions you were served with a summons, were given a court date, either appeared in court where a judge ruled for the LL or didn't appear and the LL prevailed by default? No need to repeat what happened in both cases as that was clear in your first post. It's the "evictions" I remain unclear about.
yes both times I was served with a summons. The first time I didn't go to court I knew I deserved it and I knew the landlord would win so I wanted to spend my time getting my belongings packed.
The second time I showed up and the judge ruled in favor of the landlord even though there was no money owed because the landlord did not want to renew my month to month lease and she did not need a reason only 30 days notice to terminate according to the lease I signed. I apologize for my post being unclear in some areas.

Last edited by searching for rental; 03-18-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 03:10 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Quote:
So for landlords out there I actually need some advice. I know it's always better to be upfront and honest with a perspective landlord and I understand that honesty does not guarantee they will rent to me. Any helpful advice would be appreciated as my current lease is expiring and my current property manager (another sale after I moved in) is not renewing any leases.
You keep on saying what you are saying, but I don't see anybody who is at fault but you with both of your evictions. Nobody "forced" you to be evicted a second time, it was your choice both times. By "sticking it to the man" and "forcing" them to evict you, you felt like you had the upper hand, but now you are seeing the fruits of your labors.

Are you really amazed that no landlord wants to give you the chance for a hat-trick?

Mod Cut

Best of luck!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-18-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting