Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times

Advertisements

My lease is expiring on April 1st....my landlord had mentioned a few months back that she would like us to renew and that management requires this (I rent a condo). I have heard different though, that management only requires a lease for the first year, and after that, you can go month to month.

I think she is just asking that we sign another year lease so she kind of locks us in....I would much rather go month to month so I can have the flexibility to move when I desire.

She hasn't brought up renewing at all, I paid my rent on the 15th of March, and she didn't say anything, and I haven't heard from her since.

You think there is any room for me to negotiate with her regarding renewing the lease? I would prefer month to month, as I said, and I spoke to someone else in the development and they said what she stated wasn't true, that management doesn't require a lease after the first year. I don't want to accuse her of lying...but I really don't want to be locked in for another year.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Why not ask whoever your lease is with - the owner or the property management company.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why not ask whoever your lease is with - the owner or the property management company.

My lease is with the owner (my landlord) and I hesitate to ask only because I know she already vocalized her intent on wanting me to renew...and she said it was because the management required a lease. Which I found out is not the case....

Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
When you lease ends and you didn't sign a new lease you might get a notice to vacate in X days (30, 60 whatever the law requires). So worst case scenario you could be month to month for a month or so.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Is this not covered in your lease or a tenant handbook? Was it ever discussed when you signed the first lease? Pretty haphazard management, if not.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Is this not covered in your lease or a tenant handbook? Was it ever discussed when you signed the first lease? Pretty haphazard management, if not.
No-not at all. I rent through a private owner, and she deals with the management, not us..I just know what I was told by her, which I am finding out to probably not be the case. (regarding having to renew the lease every year)

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I'm going to take a guess here: You are renting from the owner of the individual condo and the "management" you are talking about is not a rental manager, but rather is the management for the entire condo association.

In other words, the Home Owners Association rules may or may not require tenants to be on a lease.

Some associations limit the number of times a condo can be rented in any given time period. If that is the case, yes, your landlord will want you locked in to a lease, even though the association does not specify leases. The association doesn't care about the lease but (as an example) will not allow two different tenants in a one year period.

If you don't sign a lease, you go month to month with the same terms, unless your lease states that it automatically renews for another year unless you give notice that you are moving out at the end of the lease period. What does your lease say?

If the owner wants a lease and you don't want to sign one, don't be surprised if you are given notice to move out or else have a sharp increase in your rent. The landlord can do that if you don't have a lease.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to take a guess here: You are renting from the owner of the individual condo and the "management" you are talking about is not a rental manager, but rather is the management for the entire condo association.

In other words, the Home Owners Association rules may or may not require tenants to be on a lease.

Some associations limit the number of times a condo can be rented in any given time period. If that is the case, yes, your landlord will want you locked in to a lease, even though the association does not specify leases. The association doesn't care about the lease but (as an example) will not allow two different tenants in a one year period.

If you don't sign a lease, you go month to month with the same terms, unless your lease states that it automatically renews for another year unless you give notice that you are moving out at the end of the lease period. What does your lease say?

If the owner wants a lease and you don't want to sign one, don't be surprised if you are given notice to move out or else have a sharp increase in your rent. The landlord can do that if you don't have a lease.

Yes, exactly. Sorry if my initial post was confusing.

I would think that she would have given us notice to leave by now, but I could be wrong...since my lease expires on April 1st. I have been renting here for a year now. No automatic lease renewals, I never would have signed that. I haven't given her notice that I am moving because I am not financially ready to move yet, I wanted to move out in the summertime, probably August or September. I would like to go month to month from April through then.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, to be honest, I am not a big fan of leases. I always rented month to month, and had no issues. My last place I lived in for eight years and landlord never raised me and I had no issues, except of course, when I had to leave because she needed the apartment for family.

The apartment I lived in before that was also a month to month, and no issues there either, left after three years and no rent increases there either. Just moved for a bigger space.

I am aware that I was lucky though, I know renting month to month gives you less stabliity, so to speak.

I was just confused because the other tenant I spoke to here in the development told me she lived here for three years, and was only required to sign a lease for the FIRST year..and she has been month to month since. My landlord claimed that the management requires a lease every year, which I think is a lie.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
So you are on a month to month lease if you your lease does not specify auto 1 year renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting