Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
So, my landlord is going to evict me, after living there for 7 years, because someone who isn't paying him hundreds of dollars a month, complained to him that he couldn't park in front of my house? I don't think so.
When you have no lease you can be legally asked to leave with 30 days notice (common in most states) and that is not an eviction which is a court process.

The point is that if you persist in finding ways to block that parking space (which is NOT "yours"), your actions may well result in neighbors complaining and may also result in your local authorities contacting your LL and reminding him that garbage containers are only to be placed outside on pick-up days and that any blocking of the road will result in his being fined through the illegal actions of his tenant. If you are otherwise a good tenant, he'll promptly tell you to stop what you're doing and, if you don't, he'll give you notice. It's not complicated.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:54 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This is beyond ridiculous. The street is public property. You have no rights to the street in front of your house. Your neighbor has every right to park ANYWHERE on the street that is not reserved for handicapped or where the county/city posts a "no parking" sign. You seriously need to focus on something else.
thanks. so I can go down the street, move someone's garbage cans and park there? cool. and I can just tell them to chill out when they ask what the hell I'm doing, because it's public property, right?

maybe I'll focus on finding out where you live so I can park in front of your house, because that wouldn't bother you one bit, of course.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Are you looking for a solution to your problem or simply validation for your line of thinking? It's probably illegal to place your trash cans in the street as another poster already mentioned. That means that YOU (not your neighbor) can be cited by the local authorities every time that this occurs, costing YOU (not your neighbor) money which the fact that you are renting clearly states that YOU can't afford.

You don't own the dwelling in which you are living; you are renting. If, as you say, you don't have a lease (which is very odd as how your landlord collects rent without a valid contract, which a lease is BTW, seems to be a bad deal for YOU) then you can be evicted at any time,especially if the neighbors starting calling him/her and complaining about you. The landlord may decide to take his/her chances on getting a less problematic tenant rather than face numerous calls and complaints from people with whom YOU (not him/her) are in conflict.

Anybody can park in front of the house.
Period.
You don't own the street and you don't have a car, so you really don't have a valid complaint.
Not certain how much clearer that anyone can make that to you.
As I mentioned several times, OTHER neighbors including them leave their garbage cans in the street, so it's pretty unlikely that I would be fined for something that everyone else does (and as I said, there is no difference between me leaving my garbage can in front of my house where my neighbor likes to park, and other people that don't have ******* neighbors that park in front of their house, leaving their cans in front of their house), and that they would call to complain about something that they do too.

yeah, it's a bad deal, that's why I've been here for 7 years. you obviously aren't a renter (or very logical), since you don't realize that NOT having a lease is a GREAT deal for tenants, because I can move anytime I want and not be held to a contract. did you understand that?

if my other neighbors didn't call the landlord to complain about the other renters guests parking in front of their house, I'm sure they won't either. maybe things are different where you're from, but that doesn't happen here. relax.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
When you have no lease you can be legally asked to leave with 30 days notice (common in most states) and that is not an eviction which is a court process.

The point is that if you persist in finding ways to block that parking space (which is NOT "yours"), your actions may well result in neighbors complaining and may also result in your local authorities contacting your LL and reminding him that garbage containers are only to be placed outside on pick-up days and that any blocking of the road will result in his being fined through the illegal actions of his tenant. If you are otherwise a good tenant, he'll promptly tell you to stop what you're doing and, if you don't, he'll give you notice. It's not complicated.
ok, and "when" he calls me to tell me to "stop what i'm doing" I can ask him why his other tenants that put their garbage cans out 2 days early every week, don't have to stop what their doing? because they don't have ******* neighbors that would like to park in front of their house?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 AM

360 posts, read 811,909 times
Quote:
As I mentioned several times, OTHER neighbors including them leave their garbage cans in the street, so it's pretty unlikely that I would be fined for something that everyone else does (and as I said, there is no difference between me leaving my garbage can in front of my house where my neighbor likes to park, and other people that don't have ******* neighbors that park in front of their house, leaving their cans in front of their house), and that they would call to complain about something that they do too.

yeah, it's a bad deal, that's why I've been here for 7 years. you obviously aren't a renter (or very logical), since you don't realize that NOT having a lease is a GREAT deal for tenants, because I can move anytime I want and not be held to a contract. did you understand that?

if my other neighbors didn't call the landlord to complain about the other renters guests parking in front of their house, I'm sure they won't either. maybe things are different where you're from, but that doesn't happen here. relax.
I am relaxed.
You, on the other hand, seem to be devoted to validating your own thought processes.

If you weren't seeking assistance, why did you post in the first place? You have been told (repeatedly) that you have no rights here, and yet you persist on posting your comments. Either accept what is happening and move on, or buy a car. There is really are no other "options" in this matter.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
How about planting some flowers or grass near the curb and running a water sprinkler (which also flows a few feet into the street) there at a time when he will see it as he goes to park or when he is going to get into his car and then he might figure out his car is getting water on it all the time.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM

If you would have read the whole post, you would have seen that I wanted to know what else, besides a car, I could put there, as other people leave their garbage cans, piles of dirt and other things in the street.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 AM

squirl, that's a good idea, but since the landlord has a yard guy that seems to think he's the only one that can do anything yard-related, and he shows up to mow the lawn without warning so I would have to move the sprinkler, I don't know if that would work. I wanted to get a big old tv to put by the curb, which would at least prevent him from opening the passenger door, but since he usually goes by himself he would probably still park there.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,839 times
I have to laugh.... almost... then I just become annoyed. Right now I am dealing with this, but am on the opposite end of the problem as it were. During the winter months where I live, we are required by law to alternate which side of the roads we park on or risk getting a parking ticket. Last night was time for me to park on the opposite side of the street, and I did. I had made sure to leave plenty of room for the person who lived across the street to park on the side of his house. I also made sure not to block his walkway, driveway, or second driveway with garage.

This morning I awake to see what I think is a parking ticket attached to my windshield, get ticked off at the police for a BS parking ticket, only to find it a note from my neighbor demanding that I not park in front of his house, which again, I technically was not because there was plenty of room for his 1 car, which at the time, and currently, is parked in his garage. I responded with a polite note stating that I had left him plenty of room for his car, did not block anything of his, and that in the winter months I have no choice on where to park, and that if he would put in writing that he would pay for any parking tickets, I would be happy to oblige and park only on my side during the winter. But he is new in town, and he just has not noticed the 50 signs with the demand to alternate parking and perhaps my note will be enough to stop this from going farther.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
If you would have read the whole post, you would have seen that I wanted to know what else, besides a car, I could put there, as other people leave their garbage cans, piles of dirt and other things in the street.
1. Buy some cinder blocks and neatly place them around the perimeter of "your" parking space. One layer should do it but two will be more effective. You could even pick up a couple of bags of cement while you're at it and they'll stay in place better.

2. Buy one of those traffic strips which lay out flat upon entering but, when a car reverses over them, they spring up loaded with teeth which gouge and flatten the vehicle's tires.

3. Every time your evil neighbor parks in "your" space, sneak out in the dead of night and key his car. Do that a few times and he'll likely get the message. If that doesn't work you can always break a couple of his vehicle's windows.

There you go - that's a start but as I think of more deterrents I'll be sure to let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting