Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,023 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I have this neighbor issue that's been bothering me for a while and I really need some advice.

Ok, so I live in a tiny duplex by myself. The neighbors to the left have a big house on the corner, with plenty of room in front of their own house to park. They have 2 cars; 1 is always parked in the driveway, and the other one either parks in the driveway too, or in the 3 feet of space to the right of their driveway, a couple feet over the property line into my space. The technicality is not the issue, it's that he always parks there, as close as possible to my house without actually parking in front of it, when they have the entire space in front of their house free and they NEVER park there. There is no legitimate reason why he "needs" to park there instead of in front of his own house. The only reason that I can think of, is so he can look in my window when he is coming and going. Besides the main issue that he should be parking in front of his own house in the first place, he comes and goes so frequently, and I am sick of hearing his car doors slam everytime he does, which are obviously loud because he parks so close to my house, which, if he parked further back in front of his own house like he should anyway, it wouldn't be as loud. And I also don't like him being able to look in my window every time he comes and goes. I keep my blinds closed all the time just so he can't see in every time he goes out to his car, so I can't even let the light in, and I keep the living room lights low so he can't see through the sheer curtains, which is pretty gloomy when it's cloudy. I have to practically run out of the house, so if he comes or goes right then he can't sit there and look at me. it probably sounds vain and paranoid, but he's a gross, fat troll that lives with his mom and his ugly girlfriend, and I'm a young, thin, single girl that lives by herself. I'm so sick of seeing his car out there everytime I look out the window, leave, or come home, and not being able to open the curtains, that I feel like I'm gonna have a panic attack.

I don't drive, so I don't have anything to park there to keep him from parking there. I put the garbage can out there a few weeks ago, thinking that would prevent him from parking there, but he just parked right behind it. So I put it back there last night, when he wasn't there, this time further back, but he actually MOVED the garbage can, just so he could park there. And it was actually on my side of the property line, so he had no right to move it. So now I'm really pissed off, because he knows I'm sick of him parking there but he clearly is going to park there no matter what, because he's a jerk or a perv.

So what can I do to keep him from parking there? The obvious response would be "why don't you just talk to him?" but he clearly knows I don't like it and he doesn't care. I've lived there for years and never talked to them, I don't want to start now. Besides, if he doesn't realize that he should park in front of his own house already, talking isn't going to help. I wanted to get a junky car just to park there, but I don't have the money for that. So I looked for some type of cheap trailer to park there, but those are too expensive also. Is there anything else I can put in the street (legally) to keep him from parking there? My other neighbor had some big piles of dirt and gravel in the street in front of his house for weeks, but it's probably not legal to keep that there permanently, right?

I know this is long and probably sounds petty, so thanks for any advice.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
If he's parking in the street, and you have legal street parking, you can't stop him from parking in front of your house.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Sounds to me like YOU need to Stop! Hes doing it to bug you. Ignore him. Buy nice Non-see thru curtains When your dressed open them live your life! Either that or Move!

Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 AM

stop what?

I know I can't keep him from parking there unless I park something else there, which since I don't have a car, is why I'm asking if there is anything else that I can legally put there to keep him from parking. I don't think he should be able to park in front of my house just because I don't have a car.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Re-Read what I said.

Something I didn't add is You don't own the Street neither does your LL Anyone is allowed to partk on a street.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,584 times
Go buy the cheapest car you can find and park it there and leave it.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:36 AM

yes, so he should not be able to move my garbage can to park in what he thinks is his own personal parking space when there is plenty of room in front of his house, because HE does not own the street either, so there is no legal basis for him moving my property to park where he pleases. thanks for that reminder.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Go buy the cheapest car you can find and park it there and leave it.
yeah, that's what I wanted to do but even those are a few hundred bucks, which I don't have to spare, and if it was cheap enough it would be a piece of crap, and if I have to move it I don't want to pay to have it towed, plus I don't have a license. that's why I thought a trailer would be better, but even those are as much as a car.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
If you are that scared and paranoid about this guy why don't you find a place that is better suited for you?
Blinds can be set to let light in without anyone being able to look into the windows. Get actual draperies or curtains instead of just shears.
If it is legal to park on the street he can park in front of the house you rent whether you have a vehicle or not.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 AM

360 posts, read 811,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If he's parking in the street, and you have legal street parking, you can't stop him from parking in front of your house.
This.

OP, you do realize that you do not own the street in front of your dwelling,correct? Even if you bought the home, this would still remain the case. Anyone from anywhere on your block (or for that matter anywhere in your city unless you area has been granted exclusive resident only restrictions by your city) can park there for as long as they want, whenever they want.Since you don 't even own a vehicle your argument against this becomes even more invalid and you are in danger of becoming a "bad neighbor" with all of the problems that sobriquet engenders.

Either purchase a vehicle and park it there or simply move forward with your life. You have no legal recourse in this matter and if you make too much of a stink about this insignificant matter, you may find that your lease isn't renewed, rendering the entire matter,irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.