Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 60,311 times

Advertisements

So I'm on a lease in a 55+ (I'm 24) I live with my grandparents and have since they moved in although some new tenants do not like the fact that I live here and have confronted me multiple times and have made multiple complaints because during the day I enjoy video games and sometimes curse + when I talk to my friends I often curse. Is it possible to get evicted for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Would just like to add last week they confronted my mother as she was leaving and when I walked outside one of the ladies confronting my mother charged towards me got in my face and started yelling "Hit me are you gonna hit me" further along talking to her she admits that the reason she doesn't like me and wants me gone is because I'm obese and I do not belong there because of my age. So basically they are looking for any reason to get me kicked out because my age upsets them.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Maybe you might learn how to express yourself without using obscenities. All the cursing does is demonstrate that you lack language and communication skills. I doubt that your obesity in and of itself is annoying to others.

Mod Cut

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-28-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM

This isn't what I asked and the only reason they can hear me is because they walk directly by my window and choose to do so. They can't hear me from my apartment to theirs and they also admited to standing outside of my window at 2 am. So I'm really curious for a direct answer on can I be evicted or not before the lease is up in September.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Some 55+ communities ban anyone who isn't 55+, including grandkids. You need to check the rules for that community. Otherwise, I think they are complaining because you are cursing loudly enough that they can hear you through the walls. Stop doing that. I know how guys curse and scream on those headsets, and I'm not surprised the neighbors can hear it and don't like it.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Some 55+ communities ban anyone who isn't 55+, including grandkids. You need to check the rules for that community. Otherwise, I think they are complaining because you are cursing loudly enough that they can hear you through the walls. Stop doing that. I know how guys curse and scream on those headsets, and I'm not surprised the neighbors can hear it and don't like it.
No I was put on the lease when I moved in although the manager of the property died and a new one has come in. I leave my window open because it's cool where I live and I like to enjoy it before it gets too hot and they hear me as they walk by. I keep it down between 10am and 10pm when I am home. So if they can't hear me from my apartment to theres I'm okay, correct?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Cursing is really showing a lack of the ability to express yourself and a weak vocabulary. Instead of cursing why don't you do this

Apologize to the people that overheard you and then pick up a dictionary. Cursing just makes you seem low class. And unfortunately it becomes part of your regular every day speak and you WILL eventually use it in the wrong setting. And that will make you look stupid.

Stop cursing

To answer your question no you can't get kicked out for having a foul mouth. But it can get your azz kicked by a person who may not appreciate you cursing them out

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Cursing is really showing a lack of the ability to express yourself and a weak vocabulary. Instead of cursing why don't you do this

Apologize to the people that overheard you and then pick up a dictionary. Cursing just makes you seem low class. And unfortunately it becomes part of your regular every day speak and you WILL eventually use it in the wrong setting. And that will make you look stupid.

Stop cursing

To answer your question no you can't get kicked out for having a foul mouth. But it can get your azz kicked by a person who may not appreciate you cursing them out
This is very unhelpful and does not answer my question. I know how to control myself but when I am in my own home and talking at an acceptable level I shouldn't have to monitor what I say because they choose to walk by my window 5 or 6 times a day. I work and go to school and I never curse at an unacceptable time.So again can I or can I not be evicted for cursing in my own home at an appropriate noise level. (Talking level.)

Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyAlexander View Post
No I was put on the lease when I moved in although the manager of the property died and a new one has come in. I leave my window open because it's cool where I live and I like to enjoy it before it gets too hot and they hear me as they walk by. I keep it down between 10am and 10pm when I am home. So if they can't hear me from my apartment to theres I'm okay, correct?
Close the window! Jeez, what is wrong with you? Either shut up or close the darn window, it's not hard.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
To answer the questions, Yes and No.

No, you cannot be evicted because of the cursing unless there is some specific house rule related to cursing based on a legitimate health or safety reason, or if it conflicts with an established exempt class. Otherwise, curse words are protected speech under the constitution. So long as you are not directing the words at a person or group for the purpose of causing alarm or intimidation, and you are not located in a religious controlled property, and no health or safety reasons exist, curse all you like.

Yes, you can get evicted if the other tenants claim your cursing is creating a nuisance and disturbing their peaceful use of the property.

Now, it would seem that the two options conflict with each other. Well, they do. The problem you face is only a court is in a position to determine where this all fits. That means you get the eviction notice and have to fight it out before a judge. How the judge will rule is a toss-up based on the severity of your cursing and the evidence presented.

The question in all this is if you are aware your individual action can cause your grandparents to be kicked out on the street. Although you may not want to hear this, you are not acting at all like an adult but a stupid little kid. Grow Up!, get your over weight fat butt from in front of the video games and start acting like a responsible person in society. Or better yet, get your own place and do as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting