Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should becoming a landlord require training & certification?
Yes 9 60.00%
No 6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times

Advertisements

I've been a renter for decades; have excellent references and numerous former landlords are now friends.

However- as much impact as a comfortable dwelling has on your life, shouldn't being a landlord require some type of universal training/certification?

I mean, a sno-cone cart probably requires some type of permit but any slob with a house or room can call themselves Landlord and: 1. Get access to your most sensitive data 2. Make your life miserable. 3. Keep as much of your deposit money as they want.

Some states have landlord/tenant laws and others merely handbooks or 'guidelines'.

My last landlord modified a stock lease to be all in his favor, wouldn't okay me making minor changes to the property for handicapped accessibility ( like knobs on drawers/cupboards, a full-sized door for entry etc), then left the country for winter and some 'caretaker' introduced himself the day the pipes froze.

A tenant can have little or no recourse in dealing with inept or corrupt landlords.

What are your examples of landlord horror stories?

Should there be a type of Better Business Bureau all landlords are required to register with so prospective tenants can research them first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
No I don't think so. It kind of seems anti-American to me--life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, property ownership, etc.

In most places landlords cannot just keep your deposit money and in many places there are local landlord/tenant laws as well as state laws.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
It's not a bad idea, actually. I would really like it of my city ran a landlord code certification program. I would attend! I vote yes.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
No. No. No. There are more than enough laws to safeguard both tenants and landlords and the US public is in general more than over-certified and over-regulated as it is.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
As a recommendation/certification to show you're trying to be a good LL, I'd stand behind the idea 100%.

As a Requirement, absolutely not. This country already has WAY too many "nanny" laws, it doesn't need another one.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
The tenant always has choices... a landlord cannot force you to be their tenant.

In addition... my city has rent control and already requires landlords to be licensed.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong areas?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
This is a civil matter and no one is forcing you to contract with an inept landlord. Shop around for someone reasonable and experienced and you should be good to go.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I'm out West which is probably less regulated than the East.

Part of the problem is landlords require all of Your info/references but aren't required to give you the same. How would you know a dirtbag if you just moved to an area?

This last guy people in town were volunteering their horror stories with him After I rented.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post

Part of the problem is landlords require all of Your info/references but aren't required to give you the same. How would you know a dirtbag if you just moved to an area?

This last guy people in town were volunteering their horror stories with him After I rented.

Thanks for the replies!
There are tenant services that will comb public records for ownership and related financials...

It's all available for those willing to expend the effort.

Another avenue is to rent only from well established management companies which typically means the entity is licensed under the Department of Real Estate.

Most States have a searchable database for Real Estate firms, brokers and agents...

It really comes down to turning over the keys to a property that might be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with little more than first and last months rent and a rental application.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post

Thanks for the replies!
The condition of the rental should give you a idea of what sort of LL you are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting