Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times

Advertisements

Condo in N. Miami Beach, FLA, building registered for 55 and over with no children, pets, and no renting.
Several owners are openly renting units and no one has stopped them becuase we have had an ineffective Board.
Now we have the strength to evict and do not know how to evict without spending a lot of time and money.
The tenants do not know or care about our rules and have even defaced the inside of our elevator doors with graffiti.
We are in the process of our 40 year recertification inspections and compliances.
Tenants are noisy, breaking rules, and parking in the wrong spaces, and generally trashing the place. It is a run down building at best anyway so it attracts the wrong sort of renters.
We have one part time cleaner who does very little since before when we had no children and everyone followed the rules about trash, etc that is all we needed. Now we cannot afford a management company and a full time janitor- because we have to put on a new roof, and many other things for re-certification of our building or we face eviction until the building is up to code. The elderly in this buildling cannot be displaced like that.

I think it is all about money but want to find a way without paying lawyers $200.00 per hour!!

Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Marston View Post
Several owners are openly renting units and no one has stopped them becuase...
because the scale and scope of the practice is still modest.

Quote:
I think it is all about money...
Of course it is. Everything is about the money.

Quote:
...but want to find a way without paying lawyers $200.00 per hour!!
you're welcome

Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
You will need to speak to a lawyer. You can sue the board for incompetence and the condo owners for violating the CCR rules

Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
There is really no way you are going to do this without a lawyer and the court system. I don't believe you ( meaning the condo association) has the right to evict the tenants.

If would be the owner who has to evict. What you, the condo board, has to do is to go after the owners who are illegally renting. You would need to make a list of violations that the tenants are doing and charge those violations to the owners via fines. Do you even have a list of written rules for the condo owners to follow?

Then you would also have to take those owners to court and have perhaps something like a cease and desist or injunction issued by the court to stop them from renting. Once that was done, then it is up to the owner to evict tenants to be in compliance with any court order.

If you didn't want to take the owners to court to get them to stop renting, then you would still keep fining them for tenant rules violations. You would have to come to individual agreements with each owner that rents cannot extend beyond current lease periods or you will take them to court to stop the rentals. Then you would just have to wait for those leases to run out and keep your fingers crossed that you don't have to take court action.

The condo board would likely win in court but it is going to cost some money and is time consuming..

Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
The condo board can evict..you'd be surprised as what theses 'boards' and 'hoas' can do!

the first step is getting to the owner....the board needs to start holding the owner accountable..they need to start fining the owner for bylaw violations. Will you need a lawyer? Yes, as some point you will and if you really want this crap to stop, you'll keep a lawyer in your back pocket and you'll make sure every owner knows that if they rent, they will be fined and the tenants evicted........just so you k now, condo boards/hoas here in Florida have a lot of power..to the point where the owner could lose his home.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:14 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
i would never own in a place that has a board telling me what i can and can not do with what i own.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Marston View Post
Now we have the strength to evict and do not know how to evict without spending a lot of time and money.
I don't think you have any option but to plan on spending time and money. In my opinion you need a good attorney on board right away as this neglect is way out of hand and not something the board can fix by itself. Not only will you need to evict but also try to recoup as much money for damages as possible - and then condo fees will have to be raised too in order to try and recoup more. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The condo board can evict..you'd be surprised as what theses 'boards' and 'hoas' can do!

the first step is getting to the owner....the board needs to start holding the owner accountable..they need to start fining the owner for bylaw violations. Will you need a lawyer? Yes, as some point you will and if you really want this crap to stop, you'll keep a lawyer in your back pocket and you'll make sure every owner knows that if they rent, they will be fined and the tenants evicted........just so you k now, condo boards/hoas here in Florida have a lot of power..to the point where the owner could lose his home.
Really? I contacted a lawyer about renting the condo I am currently in, and he said that condo boards have very little power. They only have the "right of first refusal" which means they could either buy or rent the condo themselves. Other than that, he said, they can't do much of anything. Coop boards, on the other hand, can.

Maybe it varies state to state? I am in NY...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You start by contacting the owners, in writing, and informing them that renting the units is against HOA rules and that legal action is going to be taken against them if they persist in using their condo as a rental.

Every area has a lawyer who specializes in evictions. He does them in bulk, so the price to evict isn't all that high. He'll take 10 evictions down to the courthouse and do them all at the same time. Most evictions are basically rubber stamp, so it doesn't take a lot of his time to do 10 of them. It might cost you $200-$300 per tenant to get the entire process done.

Contact some of the large apartment complexes and ask them who is doing their evictions for them. If there is a big city nearby, there will be a landlord's association and they will know who to hire to get bulk evictions done.

Also, if it were me, I'd have the board vote in a fine for renting the units and send a written notice to all owners about it. Then, after a proper notice period, you can start wracking up fines against the owners who are renting against the HOA rules.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:23 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You start by contacting the owners, in writing, and informing them that renting the units is against HOA rules and that legal action is going to be taken against them if they persist in using their condo as a rental.

Every area has a lawyer who specializes in evictions. He does them in bulk, so the price to evict isn't all that high. He'll take 10 evictions down to the courthouse and do them all at the same time. Most evictions are basically rubber stamp, so it doesn't take a lot of his time to do 10 of them. It might cost you $200-$300 per tenant to get the entire process done.

Contact some of the large apartment complexes and ask them who is doing their evictions for them. If there is a big city nearby, there will be a landlord's association and they will know who to hire to get bulk evictions done.

Also, if it were me, I'd have the board vote in a fine for renting the units and send a written notice to all owners about it. Then, after a proper notice period, you can start wracking up fines against the owners who are renting against the HOA rules.

This...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting