Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 PM

575 posts, read 1,464,717 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think you guys are over-reacting. Or possibly anyway. Is this an otherwise good tenant? Do they pay on time? Do neighbors complain about them often or regularly? If they're good tenants, you're really going to **** them off and cause yourself a lot more problems. I think it would have been more effective to go straight to the tenant and confront them rather than calling the police (seriously, they have more important things to worry about) on them. If the issue continued, then I might involve the police but I definitely wouldn't have jumped to that as a first response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
^^^ Judging from the response it seems you haven't read the thread.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,001,331 times
Today my mom hasn't heard from the tenant about the rent, he usually calls on the first and she picks it up. She's worried he's not going to pay this month, I told her the day after it's late tape a "pay or quit" notice on his door saying he has 3 days to pay rent or get out.

Then I told her if he still doesn't pay she has to file a lawsuit to get him out. Most likely by then he'll either move out or pay up. From the beginning when she rented to him I told her there was something fishy, this time I will make sure she does reference check, credit check, background, etc. Just like I DID with her other two tenants at her properties. We've had zero issues at her other properties.

All this fuss over her telling him he has to pay check, MO, or cashier's check.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Today my mom hasn't heard from the tenant about the rent, he usually calls on the first and she picks it up. She's worried he's not going to pay this month, I told her the day after it's late tape a "pay or quit" notice on his door saying he has 3 days to pay rent or get out.
And do try and dissuade her from going over there or calling him about the rent. She just needs to follow the proper procedure and have done with it, trying to keep the "worrying" and emotion out of the whole business. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM

24 posts, read 114,591 times
Y'all seem a bit crazy/batty, beera. Good luck with the situation but I'm glad I'm not your tenant.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And do try and dissuade her from going over there or calling him about the rent. She just needs to follow the proper procedure and have done with it, trying to keep the "worrying" and emotion out of the whole business. Good luck!
Thanks, yeah he text her today. I had also told her just don't say anything until he calls, it's only the 1st, she gives her tenants until the 5th.

Haha we aren't crazy, we have no other issues with our tenants, and anytime my mom comes over their places NOR their rent smells like weed

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM

The tenant paid with money orders like we asked him to. He's now complaining about "issues" but then won't let my mom come in to check and repair. I told her to email him the requests to come by to check the issues, just in case he tries to say she wasn't taking care of things. Overall she keeps all paperwork of repairs for her properties.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
The tenant paid with money orders like we asked him to. He's now complaining about "issues" but then won't let my mom come in to check and repair. I told her to email him the requests to come by to check the issues, just in case he tries to say she wasn't taking care of things. Overall she keeps all paperwork of repairs for her properties.
In most cities/states, the tenant cannot "disallow" a landlord from entering the property. All that is required is the landlord to give proper notice. Usually this is 24 hr notice of date/time that the landlord will be there. If tenant isn't there, then landlord enters with a key. If tenant refuses entry, then landlord can call the police and they usually will force the tenant to allow entry. All this depends on your state/local landlord tenant laws.

How about your mother give him his official written notice that his tenancy is ending on the lease expiration date? And she can tell him if he finds a new rental prior to lease expiration, she will allow him out of his lease early as long as he gives her at least 2 weeks notice if the date is earlier than the lease expiration. Lease is ending in a few months, right?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM

I believe it ends in August or September.

Yes I have told her that, just give him a 24-48 hour notice that she will be coming in to take a look at the outlets that are not working according to him. It's like how can on one hand you complain then when my mom tries to fix it say "oh no, not now" and other excuses? Are they working or not? I wish my LL was this attentive, it takes me MONTHS sometimes to get the LL to come out to fix issues.

I also told her take someone with her, I'd rather she not go alone.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,768,553 times
On a side note why would you not take cash that is the best way to get rent. 90% of my tenants pay with cash the only problem for me is sometimes after picking up rent I might have a lot of cash until I get to the bank. But you said she only has 3 places so that not a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting