Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I disagree. If a neighbor has already made a complaint and nothing is done, it's not outside the realm of logic that if things DID escalate and the place was raided, your mother as the owner of the property could be dragged into it and particularly if she'd already been warned about the situation and did nothing. Texting the tenant was really silly. She should go down to the local precinct and talk to an officer there.
I have neighbors who enjoy their herb and it doesn't bother me. My LL, isn't bothered, they're not bothered and neither am I ... or the cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I have neighbors who enjoy their herb and it doesn't bother me. My LL, isn't bothered, they're not bothered and neither am I ... or the cops.
Having a joint here and there is one thing - selling it is quite another and if a wad of small bills reeks of it then there's rather more going on than just a few friendly neighborhood tokes.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, there will be a division in your local police department that deals with illegal drugs in the area. You mother should contact them and tell them what she suspects. That way. she is covered and can show that she isn't involved with the illegal activity. Governments can and do seize properties where illegal drugs sales or manufacture are going on.

The police will start watching them. Maybe the police are already watching them.

A different thing that sometimes work is to very innocently contact the tenant and casually mention that the police have been around several times inquiring about their apartment, wanting to know who lives there and other questions. Ask if they are in trouble, because the police seem to be very interested in gathering information about them.

Marijuana users have a tendency to be paranoid. There is a chance that they might vacate if they hear that the police are watching that apartment.

Personally, I'd just evict them, but my rental agreement allows me to do so. Whether or not your mother can evict depends upon what is written into her lease.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Adding: if there is so much marijuana smoking going on that the money stinks, then the aprtment is going to need extensive clean up when those tenants leave. The apartment is going to stink. There are probably going to be burns in the carpet.

Also, with that much smell there are probably more people living there than are allowed by the lease.

Have your mother report it to the police and then go ahead and take the money to the bank. Her bank knows she makes regular deposits of rent money. They aren't going to think that she has suddenly turned into a drug dealer.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Tell your mother to let the money air out in her house for a few days then take it to the bank to deposit. She can spray a bit of perfume in the air above the money the day before taking it to the bank.

Nobody is going to arrest her because of a slight aroma. Because she hasn't broken the law even if someone recognizes the smell on the money. Besides, it will air out just fine.

Back to the lease...are the tenants on month-to-month or do they still have several months or more on an annual lease? If on month to month, she only needs to give them 30 day written notice(or number of says as specified in the lease/state law) to move out. She doesn't need to give a reason and shouldn't. Though some landlords make up stories so the tenant doesn't get upset. Something like "my niece and nephew are moving in". Even if they don't move in later, that could have fallen through if they see the For Rent sign up in 2 months.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Having a joint here and there is one thing - selling it is quite another and if a wad of small bills reeks of it then there's rather more going on than just a few friendly neighborhood tokes.
Exactly, we aren't out to get someone for smoking a bit of weed now and then, but if the neighbors are complaining eventually someone will call the cops. I don't want my mom to lose her hard earned property because of some idiots wanting to be drug dealers in our place.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times
Can't your property be confiscated by the gov't if there is illegal drug activity going on? I had tenant I thought were dealing and evicted them in 48 hours. They didn't want to leave that fast, and I told them if they didn't I would be talking with the police...they were out in 48 hours.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM

I talked to my mom again, she already put the money in the bank *sigh* She said she aired it out a few days then put it in the bank yesterday.

She's driving me crazy now saying "I'll call the police but I'll ONLY tell him the tenant smelled like weed, I won't say the neighbors complained or that the money smelled" and I said the cops won't care if you just say he smells like weed...

So now she is calling the neighbors to ask if they still smell the weed and if anything suspicious is going on like people coming. We will decide what to do based on the neighbors response.

Oh and the tenant told her he can't go in to the bank to change the 20s into 100s because he doesn't have a bank account. I was like that's not even true, anyone can change money at the bank.

We just want to be protected in case. Paying with 20s alone isn't something to be worried about, but when you put it together with the smells and the neighbors complaining, and so on, it does start to build up.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I talked to my mom again, she already put the money in the bank *sigh* She said she aired it out a few days then put it in the bank yesterday.

She's driving me crazy now saying "I'll call the police but I'll ONLY tell him the tenant smelled like weed, I won't say the neighbors complained or that the money smelled" and I said the cops won't care if you just say he smells like weed...

So now she is calling the neighbors to ask if they still smell the weed and if anything suspicious is going on like people coming. We will decide what to do based on the neighbors response.

Oh and the tenant told her he can't go in to the bank to change the 20s into 100s because he doesn't have a bank account. I was like that's not even true, anyone can change money at the bank.

We just want to be protected in case. Paying with 20s alone isn't something to be worried about, but when you put it together with the smells and the neighbors complaining, and so on, it does start to build up.

It all depends on the bank...some banks have gotten to the point that you can't even cash one of their checks unless YOU have an account there. I had a lady tell me today her son tried to deposit cash into her checking out (she was in the hospital and gave him the cash and slip) and they refused the deposit. She was not a happy camper...I think she said the bank was Chase.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM

I found this:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

So it's just the fact he is using drugs she can tell them to get out in 3 days. Then she doesn't even need to involve the cops.

For now she said that she will wait to see what the neighbor says. If the neighbor says she sees people coming and going she will ask them to leave. They still have 6 months left on their lease.

Last edited by beera; 04-05-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting