Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The op said that the money reeked of marijuana.
And that automatically translates into growing? On what planet?

Quote:
Do you have any explanation for your strange posts referencing reefer madness and naked cult ceremonies? Why is the idea that someone would grow marijuana in their home so far out there to you?
LOL, I see sarcasm is a foreign concept to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And that automatically translates into growing? On what planet?
LOL, I see sarcasm is a foreign concept to you.
No, it does not automatically translate into growing, I never said that "they must be growing" but based on what the op has told us, I'd be suspicious. There's a difference between suspicion and definitive knowledge.

I understand sarcasm quite well and I know the difference between humor and mocking. Your posts were out of left field and were an attempt to ridicule me and insinuate that I had crazy outlandish ideas about marijuana simply because I said that the strong odor would make me suspicious that the tenant might be growing. The op could take or leave that post as they have first hand knowledge of the situation. You chose to jump on me for that and I have no idea why. And now more rolled eyes. What's up with the rudeness? It's weird.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No, it does not automatically translate into growing, I never said that "they must be growing" but based on what the op has told us, I'd be suspicious. There's a difference between suspicion and definitive knowledge.

I understand sarcasm quite well and I know the difference between humor and mocking. Your posts were out of left field and were an attempt to ridicule me and insinuate that I had crazy outlandish ideas about marijuana simply because I said that the strong odor would make me suspicious that the tenant might be growing. The op could take or leave that post as they have first hand knowledge of the situation. You chose to jump on me for that and I have no idea why. And now more rolled eyes. What's up with the rudeness? It's weird.
Enough already with this nonsensical back and forth. The OP has a problem with his mother's rental unit which is apparently occupied by tenants who are either (a) growing MJ; (b) dealing MJ and (c) most likely both. Mother needs to talk with local law enforcement - and so do you, OP.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
OP-Just call the local precinct and ask what should be done. I'm curious to know what they say.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
We have a ton of tenants pay us in cash every month. Paying in cash means nothing. The only time I've asked a tenant to make a change was we rented to 4 boys who were all waiters, and they were paying us with their tips, meaning $1300, almost all 1s and 5s. We asked them to get 20s or higher to pay with.

Also, my local Chase also has instituted some strange new policies. The person who said that is correct. No cash into someone else's account. Also any deposit into anyone else's account (if not cash, which isn't allowed at all) requires you show your driver's license. Also, there are several types of accounts at various banks where they charge you a fee for using a teller. I've heard about that for years now, it isn't all that new.

Beyond all of that discussion, my best advice is that your review your lease and make sure that it addresses smoking. If there is no smoking on the premises (inside or out), then you can evict for that, and charge for all damages. If your lease doesn't say, then you have to prove it was an illegal substance. A good strong lease addressing as many general scenarios as possible is the best defense you can have.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
We have a ton of tenants pay us in cash every month. Paying in cash means nothing. The only time I've asked a tenant to make a change was we rented to 4 boys who were all waiters, and they were paying us with their tips, meaning $1300, almost all 1s and 5s. We asked them to get 20s or higher to pay with.

Also, my local Chase also has instituted some strange new policies. The person who said that is correct. No cash into someone else's account. Also any deposit into anyone else's account (if not cash, which isn't allowed at all) requires you show your driver's license. Also, there are several types of accounts at various banks where they charge you a fee for using a teller. I've heard about that for years now, it isn't all that new.

Beyond all of that discussion, my best advice is that your review your lease and make sure that it addresses smoking. If there is no smoking on the premises (inside or out), then you can evict for that, and charge for all damages. If your lease doesn't say, then you have to prove it was an illegal substance. A good strong lease addressing as many general scenarios as possible is the best defense you can have.
Yep..and Chase said eventually all banks will be implementing this. What a stupid thing. Like if I wanted to deposit cash into my boyfriend's account, I wouldn't be able to because of this new rule. Chase does have the "quickpay" option you can use to send cash to someone else that has a Chase account which is good...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Well like I said, paying in cash alone is nothing but a small annoyance. I wasn't there to smell the money, so I can only go on what my mom and brother says about the money "reeking." Fact that she had to air it out for at least a day before taking it to the bank IMO means something as well. I think if the money hadn't smelled so much of MJ but he did, my mom would have just shrugged it off as the tenant being an occasional user.

Smoking is not addressed on the lease, so I told my mom she was SOL on that part. My lease for my apartment specifically says that we cannot smoke in the apartment (any substances at all).

Proving it is an illegal substance is the hard part, I agree, but like I said if we smell it again we will take further action, most likely calling the police and a local LL council to see what how to proceed.

I promise I will post an update as soon as I know. I don't think my mom has made an appointment to go over (or heard from the neighbor)- I'll be honest I think she's scared of the tenants. Not that I blame her IF they are dealing. I don't want to go over there either and deal with this, specially since I'm pregnant. I'm getting a little tired of always having to clean up her messes because of her bad choices.

FUN TIMES! Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Who goes up to a door, knocks and then tell the people inside it smells like marijuana and then accuse them of dealing? Some thinking here.

Go to the police if there is a real concern. They will likely arrange to pick up the rent for your mom and they will know if there is reasonable cause. If there is, they can go inside right away and if they find evidence, you don't run the risk of something bad happening right on the spot.

Start thinking this through before someone get hurt or worse.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Reality check!

The bottom line is the OP has no proof whatsoever that any illegal activity - at any level - is occurring. Secondly, I'd question the neighbors' motives for complaining. Nevermind that cops don't give a flying fig if someone is smoking pot in a private home.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Who goes up to a door, knocks and then tell the people inside it smells like marijuana and then accuse them of dealing? Some thinking here.

Go to the police if there is a real concern. They will likely arrange to pick up the rent for your mom and they will know if there is reasonable cause. If there is, they can go inside right away and if they find evidence, you don't run the risk of something bad happening right on the spot.

Start thinking this through before someone get hurt or worse.
She wouldn't accuse them of dealing, we aren't crazy! She'd either tell them she smells it or just walk out with that information. I personally don't know why she needs to keep checking for the smell, and even if we don't smell it again it's like what the heck was that smell the first time?

Thanks for the idea, I will just call the police myself since my mom doesn't seem to want to do anything but continue calling the neighbor who still isn't responding to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting