Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,013 times

Advertisements

My mother received a call from the neighbors of one of her properties, saying the tenants are doing drugs, and the condo smells like Marijuana when you walk by. My mother, not being smart, text the TENANT and asked them if they were doing drugs.

OF COURSE they said no!

So today, she tells me on the first when she picked up the rent, the tenant gave her the money in 20s ($1300!) and my brother was with her and told her that the tenant as well as the money REEKS of Marijuana. My mom doesn't even know what to do with the cash because she said she can't take it to the bank it smells that bad. My brother said he thought since he paid her in all 20s that made him suspicious he may also be dealing, not just using.

I told my mom she needs to call the cops as I doubt the man has a medical marijuana license, specially when she asked if he did drugs he didn't volunteer this information. If he had a license then that would be different.

I also said since he came outside and she didn't see inside the apartment, who knows what else could be going on in the apartment? I also told her if the police ever raided the place (if a neighbor called the police), then found out she may know or at least suspected (because of her text), she could face criminal charges herself.

I also suggested she not accept cash payments but only checks or money orders. Specially now considering that could be drug money. She told me the guy said he "can't" go in the bank... what the?!

What should we do? I don't want something to happen to my mother because of tenants who are doing illegal activities in her rental property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Call the cops.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
You need more information. For one thing, $20 bills are small change these days. We're all drug dealers if that's your proof.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM

The money smelled like Marijuana. The tenant smelled like Marijuana. The neighbors also called saying they smell drugs coming from the apartment. I'm not sure what more proof I can get other than banging down on the door and barging in. We know what it smells like.

I don't know how my mom can walk into the bank with that cash that smells like drugs and even turn it in to the bank... $1300 in 20s is a lot of money and to say they can't go into the bank that seems odd. I mean they were able to go around to 3 atms over 3 days to get the money?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Just be glad they pay their rent on time.

Call the cops?

Following that phone call to it's most logical conclusion - I guess you want to also have to have the door and/or door casing replaced too.

Just wait until the lease is up, then have them move out.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 PM

Well considering the neighbors are calling us to complain, we figure eventually they will call the cops anyways, and we worry she will be held liable for illegal activities happening there. We don't want my mom to face fines or criminal charges or jail time because of something her tenant is doing.

They just moved in a few months ago, so their lease isn't up for a while.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
What does the lease say about illegal activity? Do you have a clause that covers this?

If not it's time to revise it and have everyone resign at the end of their terms so you can better protect yourselves in the event it gets nasty or goes to court

If they break the lease...they break the lease. You can just collect the evidence you need and tell them to get lost

Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need more information. For one thing, $20 bills are small change these days. We're all drug dealers if that's your proof.

no kidding. I keep a small stash here at home and it's all $20s and $100s and I'm not a drug dealer.

The OPs mom can call the police and tell them what happened and let them tell her what to do. Right now she has nothing...just a smell...that's it. The police aren't going to come out and raid the unit based on a 'smell' and a roll of $20s.

Your mom can all the police and talk to them about her concerns...but as I said, without proof, they wont' do anything. Ask the police to talk to the neighbors and get their input and encourage them to call when they see something going on. Could she be liable? Who knows...that's a question a for a lawyer...a real live lawyer...not a 'forum lawyer'.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
My mother received a call from the neighbors of one of her properties, saying the tenants are doing drugs, and the condo smells like Marijuana when you walk by. My mother, not being smart, text the TENANT and asked them if they were doing drugs.

OF COURSE they said no!

So today, she tells me on the first when she picked up the rent, the tenant gave her the money in 20s ($1300!) and my brother was with her and told her that the tenant as well as the money REEKS of Marijuana. My mom doesn't even know what to do with the cash because she said she can't take it to the bank it smells that bad. My brother said he thought since he paid her in all 20s that made him suspicious he may also be dealing, not just using.

I told my mom she needs to call the cops as I doubt the man has a medical marijuana license, specially when she asked if he did drugs he didn't volunteer this information. If he had a license then that would be different.

I also said since he came outside and she didn't see inside the apartment, who knows what else could be going on in the apartment? I also told her if the police ever raided the place (if a neighbor called the police), then found out she may know or at least suspected (because of her text), she could face criminal charges herself.

I also suggested she not accept cash payments but only checks or money orders. Specially now considering that could be drug money. She told me the guy said he "can't" go in the bank... what the?!

What should we do? I don't want something to happen to my mother because of tenants who are doing illegal activities in her rental property.
I don't condone doing drugs, but then as long as they pay their rent on time it *might* be best if your mom just minded her business. Getting into the middle of their life is probably not wise.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I don't condone doing drugs, but then as long as they pay their rent on time it *might* be best if your mom just minded her business. Getting into the middle of their life is probably not wise.
I disagree. If a neighbor has already made a complaint and nothing is done, it's not outside the realm of logic that if things DID escalate and the place was raided, your mother as the owner of the property could be dragged into it and particularly if she'd already been warned about the situation and did nothing. Texting the tenant was really silly. She should go down to the local precinct and talk to an officer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting