Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,280 times

Advertisements

is is legal for a landlord who has a perfect working washer and dryer but she refuses to allow me to do my laundry at home says the cesspool will fill up,

Also, I am not allowed use to my brand of toilet paper she says I have to use a single ply like Scott toilet paper.

Is she allowed to tell me I must use her type of toilet paper & go to laundromat. I work long hours I want to use the perfectly working washer in basement but she says if I do she will give me 30 days notice to get out!!

She & her manager said in Massachusetts that cesspools must be protected. So she has legal right to not allow me to use washer.

Any advice I would appreciate. I am calling board of health Monday to ask if this is allowed, but if anyone knows my tenant rights with a month to month lease so I am scared to make this old lady & her manager mad!!

Thank you in advance,
SeekonkTribe

Last edited by SeekonkTribe; 04-12-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekonkTribe View Post
is is legal for a landlord who has a perfect working washer and dryer but she refuses to allow me to do my laundry at home says the cesspool will fill up,

Also, I am not allowed use to my brand of toilet paper she says I have to use a single ply like Scott toilet paper.

Is she allowed to tell me I must use her type of toilet paper & go to laundromat. I work long hours I want to use the perfectly working washer in basement but she says if I do she will give me 30 days notice to get out!!

She & her manager said in Massachusetts that cesspools must be protected. So she has legal right to not allow me to use washer.

Any advice I would appreciate. I am calling board of health Monday to ask if this is allowed, but if anyone knows my tenant rights with a month to month lease so I am scared to make this old lady & her manager mad!!

Thank you in advance,
SeekonkTribe
Unless you signed a lease or monthly rental agreement that said you were entitled to use the washer and dryer then, no you are not so entitled. You should get issues like that clarified in writing in the lease before moving into a place.

It is not unusual at all for any house on a septic system to have to use single ply toilet paper, yes she is entitled to tell you that and could charge you for damages if you do not comply and you cause the system to become clogged.

Yes since you are month to month she can cancel your rental agreement at anytime with 30 days notice.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Move out. Give 30 days notice yourself, and move somewhere where you can use whatever toilet paper you want, and use the washer and dryer if there is one.

Sounds like you're renting a room from her, and she says you can't use her washer and dryer. That sounds legal to me. She says you should use single ply toilet paper because of her septic system. That also sounds reasonable.

So, if you don't want her to get mad, do what she says. Otherwise, move.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
If on septic then she's right. Usually septic tends to use single ply. I had a place on septic and I was told to only use single ply.
As for the laundry it's her laundry. If the lease specifies no use of the laundry then you cant use it.
Go give notice and look for a different place

Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Laundry, toilet paper and even antibacterial soaps will affect septic systems.

When in doubt... refer to the rental agreement and never agree to rules you are not willing to abide.

There are easy steps to mitigate.

Use septic safe toilet paper... usually, it is also the least expensive too!

Never bleach laundry and be careful with soaps and ALWAYS use a washing machine lint filter... even an old stocking

Antibacterial soaps and strong cleaners disrupt the normal septic function.

Too much water is also bad...

It's much easier to use good septic safe practices instead of dealing with septic problems.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Yes and yes. If you don't like the arrangement you agreed to, give proper notice and move. Just be prepared to pay an early termination fee if you're on a yearly lease.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Why on earth would a LL install a washing machine and then ban the tenant from using it? Or if it came with the property, then the previous owners must have used it without problems. I've lived in houses on septic before and we used the washing machine just fine. Unless MA has different septic systems from the south, this makes no sense to me.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Why on earth would a LL install a washing machine and then ban the tenant from using it? Or if it came with the property, then the previous owners must have used it without problems. I've lived in houses on septic before and we used the washing machine just fine. Unless MA has different septic systems from the south, this makes no sense to me.
The machine is in the basement and not in the OP's living space. Same situation as the last place I rented where the LL had a washer and dryer in a shed right outside my apartment. There was nothing in the lease about any use of washing facilities but I asked anyway if I might be able to do one small load a week and the answer was no. No problem. The OP has been told that use of the washing machine is not allowed and that's that. Just because it's in the basement doesn't mean it's there for common use. And calling the Health Department over it?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Evidently the landlord is having problems as she is requiring no use of the washing machine and use of only single ply toilet paper. In fact, she says she has a cesspool, not a septic system. That's a much more maintenance intensive system.

It may have been that the washing machine was put in, she realized the volume of water and .or detergents/ bleaches caused problems and has since decided to ban its use.

Why would anyone be arguing with her over this matter? If the tenants ignore her and do as they wish, they could wind up with no plumbing and/ or or legal responsibility to repair the mess they created. That of course, depends on how the lease is written.

The tenants have two choices. Either do as the landlord says or move .

Old 04-13-2014, 05:29 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, give your notice and move to a place that is on the city sewer system.

You simply can not treat a cesspool like it is an unlimited resource and I can't imagine you being all cheery if you over-filled it and it backed up into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting