Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM

12 posts, read 55,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
First, you should know that in CA if you are denied based on your credit, and you paid for an application fee, you have the right to get a copy of your report from them. Actually, you have the right to a copy whether or not you were denied - if you paid for it.

How do they find the eviction? There is a separate eviction report you can buy. This is pulled from a database that just lists unlawful detainer actions filed, it's pulled from public records. If a LL doesn't pull this, he won't see it. Many landlords don't pay for this service. When I was an apt mgr, I always did, though. They don't cost much more money from the service I used, so I convinced my boss (the owner) to spring for it.

But, even if they don't see the eviction report, and it isn't on your public records section of your credit report, they can maybe see that the collection is for money you owed to a previous landlord? That may be why they are denying you - just because you let a debt to a LL go to collections.

When you say Northern California, I'm wondering if you are in a town with a high demand for rentals, like SF Bay Area right now has such a hot rental market, that LLs can be really picky.
I do live in the SF bay area, I can only hope that my next apartment complex which is Archstone San Bruno(owned by Equity Residential) does not use an eviction report .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
I do live in the SF bay area, I can only hope that my next apartment complex which is Archstone San Bruno(owned by Equity Residential) does not use an eviction report .
San Bruno is in San Mateo County, which is in the SF Bay Area. The SF Bay Area is the entire area around the Bay, not just the city of SF. Highly desirable area, lots of competition for apartments.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
I was a rental agent in NYC for several years before transitioning into sales and, at least in NYC, equity did an eviction check as part of their standard credit/background check. I'd assume that's their company policy nationwide

Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
I was a rental agent in NYC for several years before transitioning into sales and, at least in NYC, equity did an eviction check as part of their standard credit/background check. I'd assume that's their company policy nationwide
Do you know which screening company they use?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
Quote:
Do you know which screening company they use?
Unfortunately I don't remember off hand but it was done in conjunction with the credit check.
Good luck!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

Your best bet would be to find a private landlord who doesn't really 'screen' tenants. Most, if not all, large complexes and property management companies do a complete background check..including looking for evictions and judgments from previous landlords.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 PM

How about a co-signer, would that be okay?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
How about a co-signer, would that be okay?
Quite possibly. All you can do is ask.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM

I wanted to give you guys a heads up, I know it has been almost a year since I made this thread. So we went ahead and applied for Equity Residential, their screening process did see an eviction/collections and I let them know the reason. Thankfully they asked for documents that I settled with the collections agency so I provided them that information and they approved me. So we've been living in this complex for almost a year now.

However, we got a notice early this month that the rent was going to go up about 400 dollars. Unfortunately that's way too much so we're in the process looking for a new apartment. We found a great apartment that's perfect for us so we put in an application, unfortunately again the eviction/collection showed up during the screening process.

They use On-site, I contacted On-site today and they said I would need a letter from the apartment complex stating that I was never evicted or a copy of the case from the civil courthouse stating that the judgment was settled. With that said Archstone Properties is no more and have sold all their complexes to different property managements the Archstone on my record is now owned by my currently property management Equity Residential. In terms of getting something from the courthouse well I don't think that would be possible considering the court summary I posted on the first page.

I haven't talked to the leasing agent about possibly overriding the denial or if they even have the capability to do so. What do you guys suggest we do?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
I wanted to give you guys a heads up, I know it has been almost a year since I made this thread. So we went ahead and applied for Equity Residential, their screening process did see an eviction/collections and I let them know the reason. Thankfully they asked for documents that I settled with the collections agency so I provided them that information and they approved me. So we've been living in this complex for almost a year now.

However, we got a notice early this month that the rent was going to go up about 400 dollars. Unfortunately that's way too much so we're in the process looking for a new apartment. We found a great apartment that's perfect for us so we put in an application, unfortunately again the eviction/collection showed up during the screening process.

They use On-site, I contacted On-site today and they said I would need a letter from the apartment complex stating that I was never evicted or a copy of the case from the civil courthouse stating that the judgment was settled. With that said Archstone Properties is no more and have sold all their complexes to different property managements the Archstone on my record is now owned by my currently property management Equity Residential. In terms of getting something from the courthouse well I don't think that would be possible considering the court summary I posted on the first page.

I haven't talked to the leasing agent about possibly overriding the denial or if they even have the capability to do so. What do you guys suggest we do?

Get a letter of reference from the your current landlord as well as copies of your cancelled rent checks.

As for your court documents, you need to contact the courthouse as they should have everything you need. When a judgment is paid it's normally updated and documented in the court system and shows "satisfied" as the 'status'. If it is not, you need to get a Letter of Satisfaction from the collection agency you paid and ask them to update the courts on the status of that judgment.

Personally, your biggest problem is going to get that collection agency to cooperate with you. Good luck and please keep us posted...and thank you for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting