Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times

Advertisements

Found a house listed on craigslist that I wanted to know more about. They only listed a few details and one or two pictures. I emailed requesting any additional pictures and a few other details I need to know before it's worth my time to physically see a house. What do you all make of this? This behavior makes me not even want to see any of their properties, after all, I had questions and they didn't want to answer. Here's the email:

Thank you for your interest in renting with [redacted] before you can see a unit you would need to get pre-qualified. You can do that in our office or you can just give our office a call at [redacted].Our office is located at [redacted].

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I call BS! (I also object to the lousy grammar as in, "you would need to get pre-qualified.") Were it not for the fact they they list a telephone number and a physical address (presumably both legitimate) I'd view it as a scam listing.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I call BS! (I also object to the lousy grammar as in, "you would need to get pre-qualified.") Were it not for the fact they they list a telephone number and a physical address (presumably both legitimate) I'd view it as a scam listing.
They have a website as well, which looks legit. I'm sorry but asking to pre qualify people wanting to rent just seems like bad business.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
depends on what they call pre-qualified. if they have inoccuous questions it would be no big deal. they probably just dont want to waste their time showing properties to someone who cant afford them. on the other hand, they could be scam artists or illegally discriminating. check it out a bit more and see, or dont.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Found a house listed on craigslist that I wanted to know more about. They only listed a few details and one or two pictures. I emailed requesting any additional pictures and a few other details I need to know before it's worth my time to physically see a house. What do you all make of this? This behavior makes me not even want to see any of their properties, after all, I had questions and they didn't want to answer. Here's the email:

Thank you for your interest in renting with [redacted] before you can see a unit you would need to get pre-qualified. You can do that in our office or you can just give our office a call at [redacted].Our office is located at [redacted].

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know
And vice versa. They want to see if you're worth their time to show you the place. Goes both ways. They may have a policy of no bankruptcy, no under x credit score, no evictions, x amount of income. So they may not want to have someone go to show the place if they don't qualify

Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And vice versa. They want to see if you're worth their time to show you the place. Goes both ways
No it doesn't. That's like getting financed before test driving a Chevy.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
When we were buying a house the real estate agent got us pre-qualified with the bank. My husband had a job that provided a vehicle to drive and a wonderful insurance program plus other things that made us be able to qualify for more than his salary would usually allow.

I can see not exposing the other renters to people that cannot afford to live there. It could be a safety issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
The difference between buying a car and renting an apartment are pretty vast. In the former, you're going to a place where they're trying to sell you; in the latter situation, you're trying to sell yourself to the landlord.
I was a rental agent in NYC for several years and I always pre-qualified anyone before taking them out. It would be as simple as a 5 minute conversation asking what their budget was, how much they made, and whether they had good credit or not.
In a highly competitive rental market like NYC where apartments can get snapped up in hours, this was highly essential as I didn't want to waste my client's time showing them apartments I knew they wouldn't qualify for.
You didn't specify the area you're looking at but it could be a similar situation, as the managing company may have no issues filling their apartments, so they can afford to be more choosy.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
We always ask questions to avoid wasting our time. Any agent that doesn't ask question will waste both parties time.

We screen over the phone or by email since some properties have different requirements about the amount or size and breeds of pets, etc. we want to know how many people, time line of move, etc. and if a tenant doesn't want to answer the questions we don't mind then we will rent to someone else especially with a hot rental market that is easy enough.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

Really? I pre screen potential tenants before showing them a rental. Its pointless to go and show a property when the person will simply be denied
My options are

1. I don't want to waste their time, their fuel, their application money or my time and fuel if they don't qualify on credit, income or background.

2. I guess I could take their money have them fill out a application run their credit and background and deny them on the simple fact as their credit score is too low. So I got to do something and take $30 from a person for absolutely no reason. Yay for me.

As a potential tenant would you prefer option 1 or 2? It's about a hour to hour and a half of my time ( depending on which property I go to) I could be spending with my family by the time I leave my house, get there open it up wait show it lock it up leave and get home. Try doing that 2-3-4 x a weekend or after working all day only to find out their credit is shot, they have a eviction etc when you meet face to face. You'll start screening too. Just because I'm renting a place by no means does that translate in starving to get any tenant in ASAP

Oh just so you know the first thing a lot of dealers WILL do is run your credit. They want to make sure theire not wasting their time either. But its a vast difference between renting a place and buying a car not only in ownership, but liability and value among many other things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting