Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 826 times

Advertisements

So heres the story.

I moved in to an apt with my friend in the beginning of the year, with an understanding that I was not going to be staying the full term of the lease and that I would give her a month notice to find a rmmate. if by the time i left she didnt find one i would pay for one month after i left. So on April 5th I told her i was moving to start looking for a rmmate and she did. She txt me 30mins later and told me she found one and they wanted to move in on the 15 of april. I told her that was fine as long as the new rmmate paid me the prorated about of April rent that I had just paid and the deposit i put down. She flipped out! She told me they were not going to pay the prorated rent for april and that i dont get my deposit back. I told her fine they can wait til the end of april and pay the may rent to the apt and the deposit to me. SHE IS NOW REFUSING TO FOR THE NEW RRMMATE TO PAY MY DEPOSIT> TELLING ME "I BROKE THE LEASE AND SINCE I DID AT THE END OF THE LEASE WE WILL NOT GET ANYTHING BACK" So im pissed. I told her she can not keep MY MONEY that a lease is not being broken. She didnt believe me so we both sat in at the same time with the manager of the apt complex and she informed us, " The lease is not being broken. All tht needed to be done was for both the sign a rmmate amendment form and i would be released form the lease with no additional obligations. The deposit how ever stays with the apt till the lease ends and then will be released back to the occupier. The new rmmate will just need to be added to the lease but will not need to pay a deposit bc it was already paid by both of us." After hearing that she still tells me and I quote "You signed a contract for one year. you broke that contract by choosing to move out. if we both leave then we would have to pay extra and forfeit the deposit.the new person is taking your place and is not paying a deposit. When the lease is up IF i get money back I WIll DECIDE if you get any portion of it> Thats the Price you Pay." Now what pss me off the most is this ignorant ass thinks for some reason the money is coming out of her bank account. and that I sould just give her free money! The new rmmate would have to pay a deposit if they went anywhere else and the LEASE IS NOT BEING BROKEN! What are my rights!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Submit Your Case - Judge Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting