Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM

404 posts, read 585,379 times

Advertisements

This is for New Jersey.

I paid my rent on the first of April. After submitting it in person, I realized I had gotten confused about the month and had written "May rent" on both the envelope and the check itself. I emailed the landlord immediately to inform him of this (on April 1st).

On April 7th I received an email stating that the check had been dated 5/1/2014 and that I should submit a new check. I did so immediately. Now my landlord is demanding late fees for the check being 7 days late. Do I have to pay these?

I feel I shouldn't be penalized for the 7 days that it took the landlord to inform me of the issue. My thought process is that if this policy is legal, then there is nothing to stop the landlord from sitting around for 30 or so days before informing me of the issue and then demanding 30 days worth of late fees (or 364 days if I had written the wrong year). Thoughts?

Edit: I did not realize the dating issue until he informed me of it on April 7th.

Last edited by Planner15; 04-17-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
Almost every bank will cash a check regardless of the date written on it. If the bank had refused the check, he could charge you a late fee. If he didn't bother trying to cash the check, no, you shouldn't owe a late fee. Call your bank and make sure they don't have a policy against cashing a post-dated check.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Send the LL a copy of the email you sent him on April 1st and advise him that since you advised him immediately of the error you made, you feel under no obligation to pay a late fee and you're sure he'll agree.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Did you actually date the check 5/1/14, or did you just write "May Rent" in the notes? Nothing in the "notes" area should ever preclude the bank from cashing the check.

The LL really had no right to demand a second check because of what was written in the notes. Now, if the date was actually pre-dated, I see him asking for another check, but since you provided it immediately, I would fight the penalty.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM

404 posts, read 585,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Almost every bank will cash a check regardless of the date written on it. If the bank had refused the check, he could charge you a late fee. If he didn't bother trying to cash the check, no, you shouldn't owe a late fee. Call your bank and make sure they don't have a policy against cashing a post-dated check.
Would it be my bank that I have to call or his? Not too sure how these things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Did you actually date the check 5/1/14, or did you just write "May Rent" in the notes? Nothing in the "notes" area should ever preclude the bank from cashing the check.

The LL really had no right to demand a second check because of what was written in the notes. Now, if the date was actually pre-dated, I see him asking for another check, but since you provided it immediately, I would fight the penalty.
Unfortunately it was dated. An issue I didn't realize when I sent the email.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
I think you might need to pay the late fee. You submitted the incorrect check on April 1st and informed your LL of that fact the same day; what prevented you from giving your LL a correct check before your grace period to not incur a late fee ended? Typically in most NJ leases, you have until the 5th of the month before it's considered late.

It's your responsibility to remit your rent payment on time; your LL doesn't need to send you a notice reminding you to send in payment before it's late. Furthermore, your situation is compounded by the fact that you seemed well aware your check wouldn't be accepted as payment for April, and you had ample time to correct the situation before it could be considered late.

Hopefully your LL can have some sympathy and let it slide, but if they insist upon the fee, you most likely will need to pony up, as the payment was late through no fault of the LL.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
As a landlord, I would let it go for things like this BUT it really depends on the tenant. If there is a good relationship, a landlord should be somewhat flexible (doesn't have to but as a good gesture). The downside of being flexible is that some people with start taking advantage.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
A check is good on the date you sign it, regardless of what date is written on it. Post/pre-dating checks is actually illegal. The check says: Pay to the order of.... It does not say, after the above date, pay....

Your landlord could have cashed the check; the bank - by law - should have accepted it.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
As a landlord, I would let it go for things like this BUT it really depends on the tenant. If there is a good relationship, a landlord should be somewhat flexible (doesn't have to but as a good gesture). The downside of being flexible is that some people with start taking advantage.

This ^^^
Freaking nailed it.

I would also let something like that go. Honest mistakes I don't pound people for.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
People make problems for themselves... WHY didn't you go in Person correct the date as soon as you relized Your Mistake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting