Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:14 AM

106,242 posts, read 108,237,907 times

Advertisements

this is what powers of attorney are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
The eviction would have named everyone on the lease. So, an eviction will show on your eviction report. Sounds like it's not on your credit report yet.

Not all landlords run eviction reports. So, you may get lucky finding a landlord who only runs the credit.

If there was a judgment that says you owe money to the landlord, that will most likely eventually also end up on your credit report. I'd advise you to work out a payment arrangement to pay it off. They will probably even let you just pay a percentage of the actual amount due.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 AM

241 posts, read 791,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
they do if they have disability insurance thru their employer. (and if your employer offers it, get it!)
Having disability through your employer is not SS disability....

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Having disability through your employer is not SS disability....

No chit, Sherlock...but it is income and it's much easier to get than SS disability.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Kim, your post was a direct response to this quote "Originally Posted by jzeig104
Ummm, people dont get SS disability benefits for being in the hospital two months. Wrong."

I'm sure you knew what you meant, but reading it in context it appeared to me that you were saying you do get SS disability if you have disability through your employer.

And I'll admit, I only posted my comment because I figured it would annoy you

Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,274,181 times
Quote:
they do if they have disability insurance thru their employer. (and if your employer offers it, get it!)
Those are not SS Disability Benefits, assuming "SS" stands for Social Security. I believe you are talking about "Short Term" Disability Benefits, such as through an employer. At any rate, what does having Disability benefits have to do with this situation? If OP could have paid the rent, I am sure he would have. Have you ever tried to live on short term or long term disability benefits? Getting 60% of your income is hardly enough to keep up with payments, unless you have a large savings account to go with it. Many many people are one paycheck away from losing their homes these days.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Those are not SS Disability Benefits, assuming "SS" stands for Social Security. I believe you are talking about "Short Term" Disability Benefits, such as through an employer. At any rate, what does having Disability benefits have to do with this situation? If OP could have paid the rent, I am sure he would have. Have you ever tried to live on short term or long term disability benefits? Getting 60% of your income is hardly enough to keep up with payments, unless you have a large savings account to go with it. Many many people are one paycheck away from losing their homes these days.

Yes, I'm fully well aware of the type of 'disability' I'm talking about and no, I've never lived on disability and have never lived paycheck to paycheck. What does that have to with the price of tea in China? Nothing....he didn't pay his rent, he got evicted....end of story.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Kim, your post was a direct response to this quote "Originally Posted by jzeig104
Ummm, people dont get SS disability benefits for being in the hospital two months. Wrong."

I'm sure you knew what you meant, but reading it in context it appeared to me that you were saying you do get SS disability if you have disability through your employer.

And I'll admit, I only posted my comment because I figured it would annoy you

It didn't annoy me, it just confirmed what I've been thinking all along.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
It didn't annoy me, it just confirmed what I've been thinking all along.
Nice to know you think of me so often.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,274,181 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm fully well aware of the type of 'disability' I'm talking about and no, I've never lived on disability and have never lived paycheck to paycheck. What does that have to with the price of tea in China? Nothing....he didn't pay his rent, he got evicted....end of story.
Well, its obviously not the end of the story for the OP. Contrary to what oregonwoodsmoke said, he would not necessarily have had disability payments coming in so that he could have paid his rent. All I was saying is that sometimes situations are not as simple as some people would like to think, and that someone would not receive SS Disability payments for a temporary disability. I was also saying that sometimes people are one paycheck away from disaster, which appears to be what happened to the OP. It is the end of the story for that situation, but I believe the OP was looking for some advice as to what to do next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting