Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM

237 posts, read 786,936 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

Quick question...I made an arrangement with my landlord that I will move out in August...she said she wants to call the real estate asap and start showing this place in June. I guess she wants to be covered for a new tenant and doesn't want to lose any money, but doesn't this seem kind of far in advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
Hi all.

Quick question...I made an arrangement with my landlord that I will move out in August...she said she wants to call the real estate asap and start showing this place in June. I guess she wants to be covered for a new tenant and doesn't want to lose any money, but doesn't this seem kind of far in advance?
A lot depends on your area. In college towns most/many places have signed leases for September 1 (or August 15 -depending on the town) by mid February to mid March. Many landlords get down right panicked if they don't have a signed lease for the fall by the time that the colleges get out in early to mid May.

Even in non-college towns I have had landlords want to show my place two or three months before my lease was up.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
It's a bit of a pain but there's nothing you can do about it. Just check your state landlord tenant laws (you'll find links in the first "sticky" on this forum) to see how much advance notice your LL's required to give you to enter for non-emergency purposes. In most states it's 24 hours. If you can't be there for viewings, put any valuables safely away and don't leave out anything you don't want anybody to see.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It would be very late to show if it is a college town.

In some leases, the tenant has to give 60 day notice that they won't renew, so they are out shopping for a place to move to 60 days in advance.

I suggest that you clean the place up spotless and make it look as good as possible so it rents fast. As soon as a new tenant is signed up, the showings will stop. Believe me, those showings are much more convenient now then they would be the week that you are trying to pack and get moved.

If you and the landlord get along, being pleasant about showing the unit will get you an even better landlord reference. That good landlord reference is solid gold when you are looking for a new place to live.

A note here: if you are moving to another rental in August and don't have one lined up already, you probably should start shopping 60 days in advance. If you don't, the good places will all be taken. They won't be there 7 days before you are ready to move.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It would be very late to show if it is a college town.

In some leases, the tenant has to give 60 day notice that they won't renew, so they are out shopping for a place to move to 60 days in advance.

I suggest that you clean the place up spotless and make it look as good as possible so it rents fast. As soon as a new tenant is signed up, the showings will stop. Believe me, those showings are much more convenient now then they would be the week that you are trying to pack and get moved.

If you and the landlord get along, being pleasant about showing the unit will get you an even better landlord reference. That good landlord reference is solid gold when you are looking for a new place to live.

A note here: if you are moving to another rental in August and don't have one lined up already, you probably should start shopping 60 days in advance. If you don't, the good places will all be taken. They won't be there 7 days before you are ready to move.
yes this was another concern of mine....I am moving out of this place because of horrible noise issues and so I am going to be picky with my next place. Already have a few realtors lined up. Will starting to look in June make sense?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
My son, in a college town, started his lease in August. By mid-September his landlord was asking if the group wanted the house for the next year. By October it was shown and leased for the following year.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 16,501 times
Totally depends. The thing is once you've given notice, she has more right to show the place.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Maybe you can negotiate to move out early if a new tenant wants to move in earlier.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
yes this was another concern of mine....I am moving out of this place because of horrible noise issues and so I am going to be picky with my next place. Already have a few realtors lined up. Will starting to look in June make sense?
Depends on if you're renting in a college market. I wouldn't personally start looking that soon.

As a manager, I rarely knew that far ahead if a tenant was going to move out. I rented to a lot of students, but I never knew when they'd move. There were usually a few who would move out in May, but it wasn't a given, as all of my agreements were month to month.

You could start calling around and asking. Never hurts to ask.

I kept a list of students who called way ahead of time looking for a unit for months ahead. Then if I got notice of a move-out I'd contact them to see if they were still interested.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 AM

I have a possible place lined up...a friend of mine is moving out of her apartment..I am going to see it this weekend...she said the landlords are fantastic, it's super quiet, the rent is cheaper than where I am now, she has a yard, etc. Plus it's a few blocks away from my boyfriend's job, so he can walk to work, and I can get to work easier as well.

She is moving because she has to move closer to her daughter's school. The thing is, if I do get this place, the whole move is contingent on her moving out...she said she should be out by June or July which would actually be perfect.

My current landlord said she will give me to the end of August to move out...which should work. I need time to save money to move. I know she is annoyed that we are moving out, but I wouldn't be if it was a quiet apartment. I don't ask for much, I am not asking for a palace, just need to be able to relax in my own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting