Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 792,913 times

Advertisements

I have never been in this situation, but I would think there's always the chance that even a great tenant might not be so great if they are aware there is no one locally who has the ability to check up on things. Not that they would suddenly turn into awful tenants, but how can you really trust a stranger's info on how things are? A PM can physically see your property, and let you know if there are issues. I would assume they would be inspecting at reasonable intervals, and reporting to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
I would assume they would be inspecting at reasonable intervals, and reporting to you?
No, that is one of the many problems I am having with this PMC.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:23 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
I was an out of state landlord for a year and I will never do it again. Tenants do not take care of your property the way you do. There are also tax implications. The best advice I can give you is to do annual inspections of the property. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I see no reason for you not to give it a go to do this long distance, with a list of trusted maintenance people locally. That's what I would do.

I was a property manager, and my daughter hired one to take care of a property for her, and it was a very expensive nightmare. If you've already got good tenants in place, and maintenance people you can call, and you can trust the tenants to let you know about any issues that could be expensive down the road if left untended (like leaking water under the sink, etc.), then go for it.

You can always change your mind later.

I was going to suggest using Paypal, but sounds like you have the online rent thing worked out. Very convenient and tenants love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting