Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,092 times

Advertisements

I live on the first floor of my apartment building, it is an older building so the windows open W i D E.
Recently a guy climbed through our window and stole my partners computer and a large knife, while we were both home...
As you can imagine i have become quite paranoid and am unable to leave any window open or unlocked even while in my house.
My landlord has denied our request to instal security bars, without explanation.
We live in the city and understand that come with risk but not opening the windows is driving me crazy.

Other flats in our building have security bars and we have provided our landlord with a police report...

Is this an unreasonable request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junojoey View Post

Other flats in our building have security bars and we have provided our landlord with a police report...

Is this an unreasonable request?
Not only is it not unreasonable but not understandable if other units have them unless somehow they would conflict with egress requirements.
I do think it's more unreasonable to not be given an explanation for the denial.
Obviously, your recourse is to move if no solution can be arrived at.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Maybe those tenants paid for the bars themselves.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, give your notice and move out. Find a rental that already has security bars on the window and rent that one.

Because, no, your landlord does not have to provide security bars on the window. With the exception that in some states child proof coverings must be on windows higher than the second floor. Which doesn't help you in your situation.

Your very best option is to move to a neighborhood where nobody has bars on their windows. You moved into a neighborhood where bars on the windows appear to be common, so you should not be surprised to find that there are burglars in the neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
That is so scary having someone break in.
I would be worried about being able to get out in case of an emergency and maybe that is what the landlord is worried about. Imagine if you died in a fire and your survivors sued.
Another thought is the cost of adding the bars and what it does to the exterior of the building. you might be able to convince the landlord by paying for the bars and the install yourself but don't be surprised if he will also want a deposit so you will remove the bars when you leave the rental.

Do the windows slide like a patio door or do they open up like a regular window? If sideways you could put a removable dowel or bar in the jamb and you could cut it to length to allow air in but not a thief. If the window opens up you could also limit the opening but you would have to get more creative. There are devices found at hardware stores.
Good luck.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would be worried about being able to get out in case of an emergency and maybe that is what the landlord is worried about.
Most jurisdictions these days require that if security bars are installed there is an inwards-facing locking release in event of emergency.

As you said, there are inexpensive gadgets which allow for a window to open only partially when in place. Enough to get fresh air but too small to allow a body through. I had them years ago in one house and they actually did successfully foil an attempted burglary - my dog was inside the house and bit the perpetrator's hand as he tried to get in, judging from the bloodstains left on the outside window sill!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:54 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As you said, there are inexpensive gadgets which allow for a window to open only partially when in place. Enough to get fresh air but too small to allow a body through. I had them years ago in one house and they actually did successfully foil an attempted burglary - my dog was inside the house and bit the perpetrator's hand as he tried to get in, judging from the bloodstains left on the outside window sill!
Could you post a link to these devices?

We recently got a notice from the local police sheriff that burglaries are on the rise in our area, and I'd like to preempt anybody's ability to gain access to any of my rentals, especially in the summer when window AC units are installed.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Could you post a link to these devices?
They're called "sash window locks" and you'll find a bunch on a google. They're sold at most hardware stores.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Are you wanting to pay for and install the bars yourself and the landlord says he does not want you to or are you wanting the landlord to pay to install them?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
MOVE TO A SAFER NEIGHBORHOOD, this is a real no brainer.

the LL probably doesnt want these ugly looking bars on his building, and i wouldnt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting