Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF is the obsession of some with "unauthorzed occupants"? If someone rents a dwelling, shouldn't they be free to put as many occupants into it as lawfully allowed? (Yes, there are state laws and local ordinances which set occupancy limits.) And yes I understand that only those who pass screening should be in the unit, but the occupancy obsession usually goes well beyond that concern.

When you buy a house, does the lender restrict the number and identity of occupants allowed? (rolleyes)

Renting is like paying a premium in exchange for getting impaired use of something. (rolleyes)
There's nothing "obsessive" about wanting to know who is living in your property and you contradict yourself by saying, "only those who pass screening should be in the unit". There's no relevant analogy to be made between a landlord and a lender for a sale property. And what is "impaired use" of something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There's nothing "obsessive" about wanting to know who is living in your property and you contradict yourself by saying, "only those who pass screening should be in the unit". There's no relevant analogy to be made between a landlord and a lender for a sale property. And what is "impaired use" of something?

??? There is "yes your friend can live with you if they apply and pass screening" and "no your friend can't live with you and I don't care how qualified they are". I've seen both.

What is "impaired use" of something you ask? Just think of all the things people are not allowed to do in a rental, that homeowners are allowed to do.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
??? There is "yes your friend can live with you if they apply and pass screening" and "no your friend can't live with you and I don't care how qualified they are". I've seen both.

What is "impaired use" of something you ask? Just think of all the things people are not allowed to do in a rental, that homeowners are allowed to do.
Your lack of logic defies it.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:31 PM

35 posts, read 52,445 times
Not to hijack OP's thread or anything, but, like, say this guy isn't selling drugs. Maybe he just likes having people over all the time. Is it seriously suspicious if you have a lot of house guests? I can understand if it's never the same car or people coming in and out, but...seriously, guys, if I had a lot of friends who were always over, would you consider me a drug dealer?

Renting is a horrible invention.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedHarls View Post
Not to hijack OP's thread or anything, but, like, say this guy isn't selling drugs. Maybe he just likes having people over all the time. Is it seriously suspicious if you have a lot of house guests?
I suppose if there are a lot of people coming and going it might cross someone's mind. The main issue, though, is that the condo owner believes there may be undocumented people living in the unit ("Today she went to the condo and it was generally messy. Both upstairs bedrooms were piled with clothing and the second bedroom had 2 beds in it, with a nightstand full of personal items") which of course is a very real concern.

Hopefully she'll get it sorted out!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 PM

35 posts, read 52,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I suppose if there are a lot of people coming and going it might cross someone's mind. The main issue, though, is that the condo owner believes there may be undocumented people living in the unit ("Today she went to the condo and it was generally messy. Both upstairs bedrooms were piled with clothing and the second bedroom had 2 beds in it, with a nightstand full of personal items") which of course is a very real concern.

Hopefully she'll get it sorted out!
Of course, it's the tenant's responsibility to keep the apartment clean. When it's a pigsty like that, you get roaches and other nasty things! And the undocumented residents is not very cool. All of the leases I've signed said that anyone staying 14 consecutive days and nights in the unit is considered a tenant, and must be put on the lease!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Tell the HOA if they think he is selling drugs call the police because you have no knowledge of this. If you are not going to renew the lease from a person that pays on time and is a little messy thats up to you. I just hope you do not kick out a person that pays for a dead beat that trashes the place and it takes months to get them out after they stop paying.But give a 30 day notice or what you lease says. Why would you give a 90 day so they stop paying now to save money for a new place.
I agree. My first thought was, the condo office said there's a lot of traffic going in and out. And?

I think your friend should tell the condo office that she has done due diligence and there does not appear to be anything illegal going on in the apartment. End of story.

There was no complaint of noise or parking violations or dogs pooping or barking or any other type of thing that is a real concern.

Then, I would just keep collecting rent from the guy. Lots of tenants are messy. If it's not the last years' worth of dirty dishes piled up on the floor, let it go. Collect the rent and be grateful to have a tenant who pays on time, doesn't cause any problems, who happens to leave clothes around.

There isn't even a complaint here that the other "occupants" are causing problems or noise or the tenant and whoever is living there are having screaming knock down drag out fights, or anything.

I'd leave him be, tell the homeowner's assoc it looks all fine to me, and keep collecting rent from him until/if there's ever a real problem.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There isn't even a complaint here that the other "occupants" are causing problems or noise or the tenant and whoever is living there are having screaming knock down drag out fights, or anything.
I've no doubt that if you'd ever been a landlord you wouldn't be so blithely dismissive about people other than the legal occupant living in the unit. A LL has an absolute right to know who is living in his property which is why most require occupants be duly listed on the lease agreement if not signatories to it.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
WTF is the obsession of some with "unauthorzed occupants"? If someone rents a dwelling, shouldn't they be free to put as many occupants into it as lawfully allowed? (Yes, there are state laws and local ordinances which set occupancy limits.) And yes I understand that only those who pass screening should be in the unit, but the occupancy obsession usually goes well beyond that concern.

"unauthorized occupants" have the potential to create many problems for a landlord.

You can easily have a situation where a leasehold tenant allows someone else to move in who wasn't named on the lease, and at the expiration of the lease, the "unauthorized tenant" doesn't move out or pay the continuation of the leasehold on the month-to-month tenancy. Their tenancy has no responsibility to you and you can't collect from them because you have a squatter in your premises. BTDT more than a few times.

When you buy a house, does the lender restrict the number and identity of occupants allowed? (rolleyes)

Perhaps the lender won't, but zoning may control the "number and identity" of the occupants. Indirectly, the lender may be concerned that the house is being used in accordance with the laws of the area. A SFH-1 type zoning in an area may specify that only family members may occupy a residence.

Renting is like paying a premium in exchange for getting impaired use of something. (rolleyes)
A given rental may very well be limited per the lease terms to a specified tenant or group of tenants. Those are the only people who have a responsibility to pay the rent to the landlord. Anybody else living in the property has no such accountability. As a landlord, I want to know who is the "qualified" tenant in my property.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Update: my friend met with her tenant and told him she was going to sell the condo and realtors were going to start to come thru pretty regularly. She offered him to end the lease without penalty and he said he has been having trouble paying rent and is happy to end the lease. They have agreed on a move out date. He then paid rent $160 short saying he'll pay it next week. So looks like she is going to be shorted on rent but hopefully this will end amicably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting