Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 34,216 times

Advertisements

Hey, just joined to get some thoughts about my current predicament from some renters/landlords out there. I rent a room in a home where the landlord lives, and she is a really awesome lady. We had massive water damage resulting from a running faucet left on by the cleaning lady (city turned the water off that morning so she didn't realize she left it on and the water came back on with no one home) and it looks like we all will be out of the house for up to two months while repairs are made. Basically there are two things I'm interested in. What are my legal rights, but more importantly from a fairness perspective what should my expectations be. My room (under her master bath) took the brunt of it so I lost a bunch of my things, bed, desk, a bunch of books and paperwork, a guitar. At first she thought her homeowners insurance would cover lost property, but it looks like it only covers her property. Like an idiot I didn't have renters insurance. If I go to a hotel, would her insurance cover that as I imagine it will add up to more than I pay for rent. I'm looking for temporary housing, as I'd like to move back in when the construction is finished, but its proving difficult.
I've been camping in my car in the driveway the last couple days as I'm new to the area and most of the people I've met here I haven't known long enough to feel comfortable imposing on them. So from a financial perspective what should I expect. Should my rent be returned to me that I've already paid for the month? Camping out on the property allows me to continue to take care of the garden and animals. So I'm kind of using the property, but I'm also taking care of her chickens in addition to my garden. What if anything should I pay in rent, or should she pay for me to stay somewhere as I would think she'll be getting a chunk of change from her homeowners insurance. If she could make up the difference between my rent and what I could find nearby temporarily, I could swing it, but I'm not sure if this is asking to much? I would greatly appreciate any advice/input from people who have been on either end of this kind of thing.

tl;dr Water damage has displaced me from my rented room, what are my rights, what would be a fair arrangement with a landlord you live with and really like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
The first thing you need to do is talk to your landlady! She obviously knows what's going on and in my opinion she has the choice to either let you out of your lease (and return to you the pro-rated prepaid rent and any security deposit) or pay for you to stay somewhere else until the living quarters are back in shape. Before anything else, talk to her and see what you can work out. Good luck.
PS: And buy renter's insurance. It's VERY inexpensive.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 34,216 times
Hey thanks for the response, I spoke with her immediately afterwards, but I didn't want to press for details because she seemed pretty shaken up by the incident. I know she likes having me live there and I would like to continue living there. I guess one of the big questions is if it costs more than my rent for me to stay somewhere else for two months, who should pay the difference, me or her. I don't want to ask for anything unreasonable especially in the aftermath of this poor woman's home being decimated. For instance I pay 800 a month in total but a hotel in my area would be at least 80 or 90 bucks a night and more on weekends, so we could be talking thousands of dollars. Also with summer upon us most of the temporary rentals are small vacation spots (this is a beach town) that charge a definite premium for the short term. I can't really swing that kind of money as I'm a student. And I will definitely be looking at renters insurance in the future, as I think I can package it with my auto and get a really competitive rate. Though in the aftermath of the great flood I don't have much left to insure... hmm.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by math_nerd View Post
Hey thanks for the response, I spoke with her immediately afterwards, but I didn't want to press for details because she seemed pretty shaken up by the incident. I know she likes having me live there and I would like to continue living there. I guess one of the big questions is if it costs more than my rent for me to stay somewhere else for two months, who should pay the difference, me or her. I don't want to ask for anything unreasonable especially in the aftermath of this poor woman's home being decimated. For instance I pay 800 a month in total but a hotel in my area would be at least 80 or 90 bucks a night and more on weekends, so we could be talking thousands of dollars. Also with summer upon us most of the temporary rentals are small vacation spots (this is a beach town) that charge a definite premium for the short term. I can't really swing that kind of money as I'm a student. And I will definitely be looking at renters insurance in the future, as I think I can package it with my auto and get a really competitive rate. Though in the aftermath of the great flood I don't have much left to insure... hmm.
Have you looked on craigslist to see if a temporary share situation might be available? I understand and appreciate your concern for your landlady but on the other hand living in your car isn't a viable option for an extended period and nor is paying an arm and a leg for a hotel. Where is your landlady living right now? Sit down with her and see what you can come up with between the two of you.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
If the place is not habitable, you do not have to pay rent. The landlord is not required to put you up in a hotel. If you had renters insurance, your hotel expenses would be covered.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by math_nerd View Post
Hey, just joined to get some thoughts about my current predicament from some renters/landlords out there. I rent a room in a home where the landlord lives, and she is a really awesome lady. We had massive water damage resulting from a running faucet left on by the cleaning lady (city turned the water off that morning so she didn't realize she left it on and the water came back on with no one home) and it looks like we all will be out of the house for up to two months while repairs are made. Basically there are two things I'm interested in. What are my legal rights, but more importantly from a fairness perspective what should my expectations be. My room (under her master bath) took the brunt of it so I lost a bunch of my things, bed, desk, a bunch of books and paperwork, a guitar. At first she thought her homeowners insurance would cover lost property, but it looks like it only covers her property. Like an idiot I didn't have renters insurance. If I go to a hotel, would her insurance cover that as I imagine it will add up to more than I pay for rent. I'm looking for temporary housing, as I'd like to move back in when the construction is finished, but its proving difficult.
I've been camping in my car in the driveway the last couple days as I'm new to the area and most of the people I've met here I haven't known long enough to feel comfortable imposing on them. So from a financial perspective what should I expect. Should my rent be returned to me that I've already paid for the month? Camping out on the property allows me to continue to take care of the garden and animals. So I'm kind of using the property, but I'm also taking care of her chickens in addition to my garden. What if anything should I pay in rent, or should she pay for me to stay somewhere as I would think she'll be getting a chunk of change from her homeowners insurance. If she could make up the difference between my rent and what I could find nearby temporarily, I could swing it, but I'm not sure if this is asking to much? I would greatly appreciate any advice/input from people who have been on either end of this kind of thing.

tl;dr Water damage has displaced me from my rented room, what are my rights, what would be a fair arrangement with a landlord you live with and really like?
STT is right in that you should talk to the landlady but i don't see any other resolution than you finding another place. You might as well as do that ASAP instead of diley dadling in a hotel and then find out 2-3 weeks later you are out.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
The landlord should pay for a hotel up to certain amount of days or weeks and return you pro rated rent for the days unused.
You are not entitled to compensation for your personal belongings and I know that is not what you like to hear but you should have had renters ins. and just like you many renters learn the hard way.

Under the owners home owners ins. there should be something in there covering hotel expenses for cases like that and if she failed to have that than she has to pay it out of pocket.

Of course it doesn't mean you can be in hotel for months since you have to limit your damages and probably have to search for temporary other housing until you can move back or find something else.

Very sad when it happens to people who love their place and get along and often issues like this end up costing either a friendship unless one will be willing to take a loss and that doesn't always happen.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
The LL isn't required to do anything. All she can do is let you out of the lease and return the rent on a prorated basis for the unused time for the month the incident happened. She does not have to put you up. She is also not required to pay for the damage to your things. Was the cleaning lady from a company? She may have a recourse from that company's insurance or maybe the water company.
Next time get renters insurance. It's relatively cheap and usually available through your car insurance policy

Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The LL isn't required to do anything. All she can do is let you out of the lease and return the rent on a prorated basis for the unused time for the month the incident happened. She does not have to put you up. She is also not required to pay for the damage to your things. Was the cleaning lady from a company? She may have a recourse from that company's insurance or maybe the water company.
Next time get renters insurance. It's relatively cheap and usually available through your car insurance policy
Under the law the tenant absolutely is responsible to pay for another temporary place but not for the personal belongings.

That is what home owners ins and liability insurance is for and why it is smart to disclose to the ins that you have renters. Many landlords have no clue and learn the hard way...it seems you don't know either so better start reading since I happen to know it is true. Most of all all unused rent days have to be repaid.

We had it with tenants moving into a house and the day of handing I've the key we found out that all copper was stolen and we had to replace the tenants in a hotel for almost 5 days to get all copper replaced, drywall resorted since that had to be opened to get the wires in, painting, etc.

The ins. for the owner paid for the hotel costs but not for the food which the tenants requested since tenants had to eat regardless where they would live. We didn't have to pay back the rent money since the hotel costs were higher than the rent so we paid on behalf of the owner for the hotel and the rent was kept.

Most home owners ins policies have a specific amount mentioned for renters replacement. Usually $3000 or $5000 in total.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Under the law the tenant absolutely is responsible to pay for another temporary place but not for the personal belongings.

That is what home owners ins and liability insurance is for and why it is smart to disclose to the ins that you have renters. Many landlords have no clue and learn the hard way...it seems you don't know either so better start reading since I happen to know it is true. Most of all all unused rent days have to be repaid.

Wrong. The landlords insurance covers the landlords personal property and the structure of the home. EVERY policy that I have had or seen clearly states that the tenants personal belongings are not covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting